Send Topic Print
Perfect Food? (Read 1692 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Perfect Food?
Apr 6th, 2022 at 2:10pm

If oatmeal isn't a perfect food it has to be close.  It checks a lot of boxes.  It's as cheap as dirt, great for you, tastes good, and keeps forever without refrigeration. I usually get plain oatmeal.  The little packets of sugar glop oatmeal seem more like desert that breakfast to me.  Usually I put honey on my oatmeal.  Raisins and walnuts are pretty good but usually I'm too cheap to buy them. 

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Perfect Food?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2022 at 9:34am

Millions of Scots agree oatmeal is pretty darn good.  Not only as porridge, but in griddle cakes and other simple breads, as a base for the alcoholic beverage known as Atholl Brose, cookies, and much more.

I eat my porridge with a big dollop of handmade (by me) Marmalade.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:50am

Pizza and sushi. Scientifically proven to be the two greatest foods ever created by mankind. Also a thick piece of moist chocolate cake.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2022 at 8:09am

Morphy wrote on Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:50am:
Pizza and sushi. Scientifically proven to be the two greatest foods ever created by mankind. Also a thick piece of moist chocolate cake.

Let's not forget bacon.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:27pm

Swedish meatballs.

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 3:18pm

Slices of pan roasted pork with apples roasted in the grease.
Pork is cheap, enviromently friendly and the healthiest meat besides chicken.
Apples… keeps the doctor away.

No carbs, good for weight loss.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 6:29am

Sauerkraut. Keeps forever if properly stred and can be made at home. My Grandma used to have a 30 gallon crock of it in the basement all the time.  She threw apples and caraway seed into it. Was good onboard ships for keeping scurvy at bay.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 7:14am

Nutritionally speaking potatoes actually contain almost everything required for a human diet.
I've never been that keen, and don't eat them any more, but there's a reason the Irish stopped eating fish and started eating potatoes Smiley

Personally my lie carb bread is pretty damn good.
Lots of protein and fibre.

But the real perfect food has to be Tim hortons donuts Smiley

Oats, the weird thing about oats is that I like pretty much everything made with them except porridge.

Hell I even put them in sausages as a much better alternative to rusk.

Porridgeis  just too slimy for me to eat.

So donuts and spoke and garlic roast chicken.

Mind you someone said apples were healthy ?
Lots of sugar in apples, pretty much all fruit is loaded with carbs/sugar.

And so is milk, almost as much sugar as soda.
Yes lactose is sugar.

Cheese is perfect food Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 1:18pm

Yes oatmeal is fantastic. I eat it every day now. Cheap and seems to get rid of acne
I like ryebread a lot also, eat it more than regular bread
and boiled eggs !

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 6:34am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 9th, 2022 at 8:09am:
Morphy wrote on Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:50am:

Let's not forget bacon.

A well cooked piece of bacon is a thing of beauty. When I was a kid I like it too crispy. The older I get the more I prefer it fatty.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 11:08pm

All of these have been mentioned already.  Potatoes, eggs, and pizza.  All of them can be done in countless ways.

Also perfect food additions, cheese and gravy.  There aren't many things you can't add cheese and/or gravy to.  Even if it's just a little bit on the side for dipping.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2022 at 2:55pm

And let's not forget peanut butter.  Reasonably priced, keeps forever without refrigeration, tastes wonderful, no cholesterol, and lots of protein. 
   A word of caution to those who have dogs;  some brands of peanut butter include Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic and potentially fatal to dogs.  Read the ingredients.  Xylitol is also sometimes called Birch Sugar.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - May 1st, 2022 at 2:29pm

Cabbage.  It tastes great, is super healthy for you, very cheap, relatively easy to grow, versatile, and a head will keep for weeks inside your refrigerator.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2022 at 6:29pm

Rat Man wrote on May 1st, 2022 at 2:29pm:
Cabbage.  It tastes great, is super healthy for you, very cheap, relatively easy to grow, versatile, and a head will keep for weeks inside your refrigerator. 

I've heard it said once that cabbage was a super food on par with any of the crazy expensive ones but its never pushed because its not as profitable as the others. I make my own fermented saurkraut from time to time. I like to buy an expensive probiotic and make the cabbage kraut, then open up one capsule and pour it in. The probiotic will replicate into an entire jar of super dense probiotic saurkraut. You would have to spend hundreds of dollars to get the same amount that you can get from just putting one pilll in and letting it replicate. Also it tastes great. Far superior than store bought saurkraut.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)