Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anglo-Saxon Sling Riddle (Read 1880 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Anglo-Saxon Sling Riddle
Reply #15 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 4:05pm

weren't the york slings viking slings ?
Never been to the jorvik viking centre in york, but it's pretty famous.
And there have been a lot of viking artifacts excavated in york.

I think I've been to york twice, many years ago, just never made it to the viking centre.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 5:00pm

Yes -- Jorvik is the Danish "viking" name for the city, which mutated into "York" in Anglo-Saxon.  The city was founded by the Romans as Eboracum, and then revived as an Anglo-Saxon trading port called Eoforwic, captured by the Danes in 866,  Of course there were Britons, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, and others living there from the 700s right up to 1066.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 5:04pm

Yes -- Jorvik is the Danish "viking" name for the city, which mutated into "York" in Anglo-Saxon.  The city was founded by the Romans as Eboracum, and then revived as an Anglo-Saxon trading port called Eoforwic, captured by the Danes in 866,  Of course there were Britons, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, and others living there from the 700s right up to 955 when Eric Bloodaxe, the last Danish "King of Jorvik" died and Northumbria became a major Earldom of England.

There were probably slingers in that area from pre-Roman times right up to the Norman Conquest.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)