Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Preparing for war (Read 1758 times)
Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Preparing for war
Reply #15 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 12:28pm

Again, I wouldn’t worry about Putin attacking NATO. There are better ways he could put a gun to his own head, which I don’t think is Putin’s thing. Like me and a lot of other people, I think he miscalculated Ukrainian defense and the capabilities of his own military. Entering in an unwinnable war with the West wouldn’t have been in the cards even if Ukraine didn’t happen.

My guess is that his goal has shifted to taking more territory, so that he’ll have something to show for his blunder. He’ll probably continue to try to render Ukraine incapable of resisting to avoid retreating and looking weak, and then he’ll try negotiate whatever territory he thinks he can hold.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 12:55pm

The problem, though is putin sane enough to back down ?
He's already lost a lot of face in russia.

I honestly don't think he's currently rational enough to quit.

Nato isn't going to do anything that could trigger a nuclear 'exchange' - I would hope.

No doubt putin just thought ukraine would roll over.
That's not happening any time soon.

He's painted himself into a rather nasty corner, I have no idea what the way out would be, from his point of view.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 3:18pm

I believe we are seeing the book of Revelation really come to life these days !

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2022 at 8:18am

perpetualstudent wrote on Mar 21st, 2022 at 10:47am:
if you insist on such a simplistic view RM I will not argue.

I like to think of it as more bottom line than simplistic but whatever.  Time will tell.

IP Logged

Sassa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 8:36am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 21st, 2022 at 3:18pm:
I believe we are seeing the book of Revelation really come to life these days !

Yes sir  I am also getting ready for the worst we are eating only cabbages and lard and we turned off the heating to 0 and sleep  without blanket you see if we get taken prisoners and send to Siberia we are ready and that alone is gonna demoralize those commys
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2022 at 9:37am by Sassa »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2022 at 2:29pm

Just cabbages and lard - why ?
And are you bottling bodily exhaust gasses for use as chemical warfare ?

The thing about revelations is that there were lots of plagues of edible animals - or am I getting that mixed up with the 12 plagues visited on egypt ?
Both locusts and frogs are extremely edible.

Nobody actually starved in revelations.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2022 at 9:24am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 24th, 2022 at 2:29pm:
Just cabbages and lard - why ?
And are you bottling bodily exhaust gasses for use as chemical warfare ?

The thing about revelations is that there were lots of plagues of edible animals - or am I getting that mixed up with the 12 plagues visited on egypt ?
Both locusts and frogs are extremely edible.

Nobody actually starved in revelations.

Ha! There’s a big difference between Exodus and Revelation.  You might want to try reading it before commenting C_A.  One of the four horsemen of the apocalypse is symbolic of “famine”.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2022 at 2:34pm

To be fair I think that death’s horse is is supposed to be a sickly green (chloros is the word used I think), which is the kind of color you’d probably get when mixing cabbages and lard.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 3:00am

Sorry,
In Ukraine, bombs explode.
For example, a mother had been two hands torn off protecting her daughter. The teenager "had only" one leg ripped off and survived.
If you want to prepare for war, think about how it might happen to you.
Sorry to break the mood.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2022 at 8:16pm

Rory Miller is fond of saying "war is the manufacture of corpses and mass production of cripples" or words to that effect.

We in the west don't tend to understand that. It's a sobering point. Like the point that in other countries poverty means starvation not obesity. We are pampered and insulated. It is a point well taken Tombelaine.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 3:59pm

I agree. Preparation for war is not just brandishing weapons, but mostly thinking about starving, thirsting, hiding, surviving... And thinking about how to survive it mentally(which is something you can't prepare yourself for) I hope it never comes here. But better to be at least somewhat prepared. If the war progresses all the way here, I would be probably one of those defending my country as I am 18 years old healthy male, which disturbs me, I just became an adult after living my entire life as a child and now this. At least I have not much to lose, my mother is already dead, my father spends all his time with his girlfriend ignoring my existence, I have very little to no friends and I have no significant other.

After all as a lot of people say: War is worse than hell, in hell those who suffer are at least those who deserve it. In war everyone suffers except of those who deserve it. ( I don't remember the exact quote)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)