Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Preparing for war (Read 1757 times)
czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Preparing for war
Mar 14th, 2022 at 4:42pm

From one giant sračka to another. First I am still recovering from my mothers' death, then I managed to get a girlfriend for a few months but she quickly broke up with me and now I joined the effort of a local group of preparing for war. This and the last years are very eventful.

As Putin's army is invading another country just 500km(310 miles) from my home my deceased mothers friend consfronted me. She is from Ukraine and she had relatives there, who escaped to Czech Rep.

She, as well as my grandmother who lived through the invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Soviets in 1968, is worried about the russians continuing in their black crusade to rebuild their soviet empire and it's satelite states. My mothers friend knew about my interest in weapons and military and so she wants to start a militia resistance group if they ever come here. Of course I was tasked with the weapons as paradoxically I know more about this topic than anyone else in my village.

Fast forward to last week. We had a spring break from school so I had some time. Me with my cousin discussed how it should look like and proposed that to her. Already during the said week we started teaching some people about gun safety and how to use guns on airsoft replicas(a great way to teach new people gun safety without risking anyone getting seriously hurt) and some tips about camouflage, cover and concealment. My father has taught me a lot about gun safety as he is a police officer and so I know a lot about it. He even taught me how they trained him to breach buildings.

My mums friend also knew about my slinging, when my mother was still alive she supplied me with clay for clay glandes as she had a freshly built house near me house and thanks to that she had big piles of clay in her garden.
Last time she met me I was given a task: make something for hurling molotov cocktails as she read about the ukranians using molotovs against the russians.

I came up with a sling and a staffsling for molotov cocktails, these can also sling grenades if needed. I showed her the staffsling, the handsling is more for me and my cousin and friend who already know how to use it. And I even thought about how to carry the staffsling, with using the sling as well...a sling. Now I have to make more of these.
I already did some tests with beer bottles to see how it works and it works great. I could hurl the bottle full of water about 50-60m with the hand sling and about the same with the staffsling, much more than I could throw it with my hand(which was less than 20m)

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Preparing for war
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2022 at 7:41pm

Best of luck!   I'm a veteran of Vietnam and know what you are facing.  Watch  your back!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2022 at 9:04pm

A very scary situation.  Take care.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 11:50am

If only this post was stupid paranoia.  Sadly it's not.  It's real.  Putin is the problem.  If no one in Russia takes him out the world is in deep poopy. 
   I was  born in 1954.  I am a Cold War baby.  I can still remember the air raid drills, being taught to hide under my desk in school if we got nuked, fallout shelters in every school and public building, stop drop and  cover, etc..  There was a Nike Hercules Missile base just a about two miles from where I'm living now so we wouldn't have had a prayer.  When the Iron Curtain came down I hoped we wouldn't have to deal with this again, at least in my lifetime.  Putin has other ideas. 
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2022 at 2:37pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 3:13pm

Yep, as long as 4putin is still alive, it's definitely not paranoia.

he's just lost the plot entirely.

Even looked at dispassionately, there is no economic gain to be had from invading ukraine.

But as global sanctions are swiftly sending russia back to the 60's - economically and technically, we can but hope that the russian people and the oligarchs and mafia get hit as hard as everybody else and someone mans up enough to remove putin for good.

Otherwise, it really doesn't bear thinking about. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 6:58pm

If you look at how different countires seem to be taking sides, its looking bad for the US economy. Very bad. When the world turns against the petrodollar the US will be flooded with a massive amount of currency and if you think inflations bad now...phew.

Cheery thought I know. You are most welcome gentlemen. Glad to help.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2022 at 8:28pm

I don’t think the Russians are going anywhere. I think after underestimating Ukraine Putin wouldn’t be stupid enough or powerful enough to do anything. NATO is far stronger to the extreme, and Putin can’t beat an enemy a fraction of Russia’s size.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2022 at 7:55am

The issue though comes down to: is Putin mad enough to use nukes ?
Yes.

Would the Russians tasked with human genocide actually carry out the orders to fire ?
Let's hope not.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2022 at 1:19pm

Putin believed that the Russian army would roll over the Ukraine like they did Czechoslovakia and Hungary.  He badly miscalculated the difficulty involved.  Now Russia is involved in a costly quagmire of a war, their economy is a shambles, and most of the world hates them.  Dictators can't afford miscalculations like this.  Every day this war drags on it makes Putin lose face further and become more dangerous.  He is a cornered rat and capable of anything.  Hopefully someone in Russia takes him out soon.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2022 at 9:13am

Yep that's pretty much what it comes down to.
Or if not a Russian an uslamic fundamentalist would do just as well
Almost the entire country of Chechnya would probably happily do the job, after what Putin did to them.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2022 at 5:47pm

*shrug*
All of this type of talk (which I know is common) actually strengthens his position. Taking out the Russian leader at the behest of a hostile west, well that would mean he was right now wouldn't it? It IS the west against russia. Or trying to control russia.

No. This is not nearly that clean. Putin has gone mad. Quagmire. No resources/advantage. Our sanctions will bring him to his knees. All that is too simple.

He should be opposed, make no mistake, what worries me is that the chatter I hear all around isn't useful opposition. It's just cathartic talk. And it's all I'm reading in most places.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 8:17am

Failed dictators have been deposed many times throughout history.  It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.  Money talks and Russia will lose trillions.  Putin had nothing to gain by invading the Ukraine and right now looks like a desperate fool. His poopy is weak.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 10:17am

something is forgotten. Russia has new contracts with China ahead of the Olympics. it is possible that this is all planned. also the high losses of Russia. Putin will use these losses as a reason what he cannot conquer he will destroy. and destroy it for a long time. China will eventually act as a peace broker. a truce is concluded. this will be in one end a fragile peace. China will offer construction assistance in Ukraine. in this way Ukraine will lose a lot of land. China does exactly that in other countries. in wide Parts of Africa for example. Putin and Zelenskiy will not die of course. and I prefer not to think any further. many so-called clairvoyants have predicted other scenarios. that too as many people will die from a new weapon in one day as in both world wars combined. I hope we don't have to experience that.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 10:47am

if you insist on such a simplistic view RM I will not argue.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 11:44am

Czechslinger, if your goal is to throw something inherently dangerous I would consider using a slinging technique but without the sling. One of the theories on the use of the sling was that it started with tying a stone to cordage and throwing it. Back when you had to twist your own cordage that was wasteful. With cheap cordage and a dangerous projectile I'd explore that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)