Send Topic Print
Disc vs Sling (Read 449 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Disc vs Sling
Mar 7th, 2022 at 8:19pm

I was out playing some disc golf this past weekend and had a little side competition with a friend.  We did a distance competition between a disc golf disc and sling (and golf ball).

Unfortunately it was just a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing, so the video isn't the greatest and we didn't have anything for an exact measurement.  But it was a fun head-to-head.  He's really into it, so there will definitely be more of these coming.

https://youtu.be/K5EmuQJUqwA

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Disc vs Sling
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2022 at 10:23pm

Oh! I didn't know you posted it here, otherwise I would have posted comments here.

Joe, I think we have a huge untapped potential in somehow linking DG with slinging.  You really should continue to explore this. I will too.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 1:41am

Nice video
How does a golf ball feel compared to stones? the sling ranges section puts it from 100-230m https://web.archive.org/web/20120920043403/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=sl...

I don't know how experienced you are with each others equipment, it would be cool if you throw again but using the others equipment.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2022 at 8:32am

IronGoober wrote on Mar 7th, 2022 at 10:23pm:
I think we have a huge untapped potential in somehow linking DG with slinging.  You really should continue to explore this. I will too.

Agreed.  I always carry a sling when disc golfing.  You never know when you'll see a golf ball or a nice looking stone.  I've also shown people how to sling a couple times.  One occasion was the same day as the little contest we had in the video.  The girl acting as our cameraman got her first slinging lesson as we were walking out (I wasn't going to have her use a golf ball for the first time, but strangely we found an old dirty tennis ball when we were heading back to the vehicles).

Sarosh wrote on Mar 8th, 2022 at 1:41am:
How does a golf ball feel compared to stones?

Others here will likely be able to answer that better than me.  I've only really used stones for target slinging, and golf balls for distance when out on a disc golf course (or somewhere similar).  I like golf balls because they're at a nice weight for the size.  But a cleaner throw is needed when compared to a stone because they're also very prone to curving left or right (a whole lot) if there's spin on the ball.  That's just based on my very limited experience.

I don't know how experienced you are with each others equipment, it would be cool if you throw again but using the others equipment.

I had that thought too.  That is quite likely to happen.  I'm still very much an amateur at disc golf.  But in the last couple years I'm getting to a point that I don't completely suck.  JC isn't a regular slinger, but he's done it more than a few times when I get him to.  A switched head-to-head should be interesting.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2022 at 9:21am

Nice video
How does a golf ball feel compared to stones? the sling ranges section puts it from 100-230m https://web.archive.org/web/20120920043403/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=sl...

I've seen a golf ball slung well over 400 yards.
Now that was an exceptional circumstance.
It was Larry bray, the 'proper' current world record holder, and the Powell golf club in Wyoming. Which while not on an actual mountain, is at a reasonable altitude.

All we know is that the ball was still rising when it went over the fence at the end of the driving range.
Attested to by three of the club's committee members who'd popped out to see what the idiots with bits of string were doing Smiley
They were more than a little impressed.

If you can get a straight throw in, then the golf balls rotation and dimples make it exceptional for distance.
But it's bloody difficult.
I can personal, put a full right angle in a throw with a golf ball.

In Powell we'd been slinging all day and that was the only fully straight throw Larry had all day.

But golf balls are definitely fun to play with.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)