Send Topic Print
Flying with a sling? (Read 707 times)
TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Flying with a sling?
Feb 20th, 2022 at 1:33pm

Here's a very random question for the world travellers among us. Does anybody here have any experience travelling via airline with a rock sling?
I'm going on holiday very soon and I absolutely wanna spend a few hours chucking some rocks on a quiet stretch of beach, however I don't want to end up on the news for stupidity when my intentions are perfectly innocent enough. What's the right move.
leave it in the luggage?
wear it like a bracelet?
or just leave em at home?
any experiences welcomed.
Cheers gang

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Flying with a sling?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 1:45pm

I always carry them in my hold luggage, and I usually have a lot more than one.

As I always travel with at least one knife and a multitool as well as sling making kit and whatever other slinging related items I wouldn't want going through an x-ray machine, I always have hold luggage.

I have had slings in my hand luggage occasionally, generally braided ones with no metal parts - my EDC slings are riveted so don't get risked through x-ray machines.

So, yes slings are not a problem in carry on luggage.

As far as ammo goes, well that depends on which gods watch over you.

Uwe had 20 odd clay glandes he had to pay full hold luggage extra for.
While Roman and guelu travelled halfway across the world with about 20kgs each of guamian beach rocks in their carry on luggage, along with innumerable slings and sling making kit.

But you certainly never need to go anywhere without a sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 1:57pm

Well, check where you are going. E.g. flying to Israel with a sling might be a bit of a bad idea...
And check the laws at your destination.

Other than that: put it in the hold luggage and you should be fine.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 11:46pm

I'm like C-A -- I always have a knife and a multi-tool so they always go in hold baggage.  Ditto for slings and usually a few re-useable ammo golf balls.  Easy peasy for international travel because you always have a lot of stuff.  Around the US I almost always fly Allegiant, and since I'm a Veteran I get free hold baggage, which is sweet.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 5:27am

I've done multiple slings in carry on luggage when heading to the international, no issues.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 12:01pm

IMHO a sling or slings should not raise any eyebrows with airport security -- as long as you don't go around the airport bragging about how far and hard you can chuck rocks with "this little bitty length of string"... 

If they ask what it is, tell them it's part of a game -- don't mention the W word (I said don't mention the word "weapon").  It's not a weapon, it's a lead for the dog you're flying to take care of; or part of a beach game, a piece of mountaineering gear you forgot to pack; or a headband for your hippy girlfriend; or a sex toy.... anything but a rock throwing sling.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 7:09am

Hold luggage is 100% safe. I have never had a problem.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2022 at 11:49pm

I had it in my pocket. It was Christmas time I was going to say it is something to hang on my tree but no one ever asked.

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2022 at 3:48pm

Thank you all very much for your input! funny thing is i'm actually going to Malaga for a stag party trip, I don't travel a lot so i'm not sure if there is as much of a slinging culture in the mainland of Spain as there is on the balearic islands but hopefully i'll find out  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)