Send Topic Print
Made some candles (Read 587 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Made some candles
Feb 16th, 2022 at 10:09pm

At some point I got the idea I wanted to try making a candle.  I consulted all the expert advise on YouTube, and tonight was my first crack at it.  I used the dipping method and the candles are made of beeswax.

They haven't been lit yet, but I'll give that a try tomorrow.  I want them to fully harden before doing that.  Not sure if it's going to become an occasional hobby, but there will be at least on more session.  It was actually a pretty relaxing activity.  Other than getting wax all over the place.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Made some candles
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2022 at 7:03am

Looking good.  Do you buy the wax or make it yourself?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2022 at 9:56pm

The wax was purchased.  I don't remember where I got it.  Probably online somewhere I'd guess.  I bought it quite a while back when I was actively making bows.  I used it for the bowstrings.  After these two candles, I think there's still about 3/4 of the wax left, so plenty more.

And they work!

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2022 at 9:02am

Nice work!  I've dipped a couple candles in my time, for reenactments of various kinds.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2022 at 11:25am

Thats awesome.  Im hoping to get some beeswax this year from my bees. I would love to try that

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2022 at 2:22pm

Very good looking candles Joe. They have a more traditional look that really appeals to me.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2022 at 7:16pm

I made a candle a few weeks ago, except instead of beeswax I rendered some suet (cow kidney fat) and used that. It is a lot different than wax. It works just fine though

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 5:19pm

IcedFlame wrote on Feb 20th, 2022 at 7:16pm:
I rendered some suet (cow kidney fat) and used that.

That's cool.  I haven't heard of that before.

I should be doing my next attempt sometime this week.  I've got some red dye and want to try using that to color it.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2022 at 7:17pm

All candles used to be made of animal fat, until the invention of paraffin wax. Candles made of animal fat emit a extremely small amount of smoke that’s why it was replaced by paraffin, and also beeswax.

Also I forgot to say up there nice looking candles

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 7:24am

you got a really nice shape to those, the mark of consistent dipping Smiley

I'm surprised you don't have your own bees, with all the honey you use for the mead.

Stick the hives just inside the wood line at the top of your property and they'd be fairly well sheltered.

And you know what they say: 'it is better to light a single candle, than to sit and curse the darkness'
Thumbs Up   

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)