Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to control curve during slinging (Read 578 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
How to control curve during slinging
Feb 6th, 2022 at 8:52pm

I made a video about controlling the curve you get during slinging. As we've discussed here quite a few times, you can control it with sling selection and wrist orientation these affect sling orientation upon release and ultimately control the spin direction of a sling projectile. I just wanted it to be made available to those who haven't read the previous discussions and show the effect irrefutably.
https://youtu.be/ESrvvBFcrWM

I didn't realize while filming that I wasn't releasing the ball inline with the camera, which I wish I had done better, but I think you can still see the effects of spin on projectile curvature.

NOOC's videos with wet tennis balls show the different directions of spin quite nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QEby...
https://youtu.be/ajzuWrYfrfk

One thing that I was going to add into the video, but didn't think the effect was quite strong enough to be seen clearly, was changing the retention cord position on your hand. This will also alter the neutral pouch orientation and can affect spin as well.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2022 at 1:15pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: How to control curve during slinging
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 11:12am

My tennis balls fly straight. But I throw sidearm, and hold the release cord in front of the retention cord upon release (tight grip). I do the same with stones and they release with a nice rifle spin.
I studied this effect in slow motion and it turns out that the pouch angle lags behind just a bit, the pouch angle does not correspond exactly to how the cords are held in the hand, so that upon release the pouch is orientated for a rifle spin.
I only bother with a tight grip nowadays because of how nice and secure the projectile sits in the sling. Doing demonstrations around people taught me the importance of that. I haven't had any stone slip out of the sling yet in front of people, contrary to what I've experienced with a wide grip.  It's also very satisfying to get consistent spiral spin on projectiles with a tight grip.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 12:53pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 11:12am:
I studied this effect in slow motion and it turns out that the pouch angle lags behind just a bit, the pouch angle does not correspond exactly to how the cords are held in the hand, so that upon release the pouch is orientated for a rifle spin.

I've noticed the exact same thing. Wrist action during the sling throw can have more of an effect than the static placement. I thought about putting that discussion into the video, but wanted to keep it simple.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 2:20pm

Great demonstration IG! Thumbs Up

IronGoober wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 12:53pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 11:12am:

I've noticed the exact same thing. Wrist action during the sling throw can have more of an effect than the static placement. I thought about putting that discussion into the video, but wanted to keep it simple.

So would a sling with thicker and/or more rigid cords reduce that effect (meaning the lag of the pouch angle)?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 3:06pm

As with all things in slinging... It depends.

Let me get my thoughts together and I'll post a less cryptic response.

John R.

IP Logged

Peashooter
Tiro

Have fun Storming the
Castle!

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 10:37pm

Thanks for posting that video IG.  I felt it really helped my lunchtime practicing today by smoothing out my curve balls  Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 10:08am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 2:20pm:
So would a sling with thicker and/or more rigid cords reduce that effect (meaning the lag of the pouch angle)?

I think inertia plays more of a role than cord stiffness.  I noticed heavy slings seem to have a tendency to impart a right to left curve, which means the axis of spin is tilted up.  I think what is happening is as you release, the retention cord continues to swing as it would, but the release cord lags behind just for a few milliseconds. This puts a torque on the retention cord/pouch (with the torque arm being the width of the ammo) which causes a bit of twisting of the retention cord and tilts the pouch. With a lighter release cord, the torque is not as great on the retention cord as with a heavy cord, so the pouch tilts less. In addition the light release cord gets out of the way faster (by a very small amount, I cannot confirm this with high-speed though, it is too fast)  If you go watch the slow-mo of the video, you can see this effect occurring more clearly.   

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 11:05am

A lot depends on the style of release.

With a vertical release and fig 8 windup, it's fairly easy (after practice) to control whether a missile curves right or left.

By defauly my throws curve to the right, but with a last second change of wrist angle I can also curve things to the left.
That's throwing right handed.

I suspect it's harder with a sidearm throw.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2022 at 8:13am

It's very easy to throw Riflspin with my Lahun Slings or my Huaracas. It's almost impossible for me with the stiff, heavy Balearic slings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)