Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Farthest item slung by yall. (Read 1479 times)
Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Farthest item slung by yall.
Jan 30th, 2022 at 7:59pm

I was watching some videos from community members and realized just how far I have to go. I also got curious about the farthest estimated distance all of u have achieved even if only once. I'm just starting my slinging journey but the pride I feel when launching a stone further than before is very awesome. My furthest throw so far is about 150 meters.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Farthest item slung by yall.
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 9:32pm

I was actually able to capture my best yet on camera. ~245m with a 70g stone, 28" seatbelt sling. I was very proud of that throw.

I found that 60 or 70g stones seem really small, but the velocity I can get on them is so much greater than heavier stones i prefer for accuracy (~150g). I can get even higher velocities with 50g stones, but the air resistance really slows them down quickly, so I think the 70g stones likely go about as far. ( I really don't know though, I'd always lose the 50 g stones in the distance...and on water it's nearly impossible to tell)  And I had to throw much higher than I thought would work well. 41° is optimal and it is much higher than you'd think until you see how much further the rocks go.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2022 at 1:42pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 5:08am

I have a confirmation throw of slightly more than 200m
Took a long long time to get  the confirmation to my strict standards.
I wanted impact site and projectile found and manually measured (no google maps)
And with all my efforts to gain confirmation I’m certain I’ve never thrown further that 220m but I wasn’t  using a long Sling

I did mine with a 26 inch Dyneema Mersa Sling. 22gram lead sinker.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 8:18pm

IronGoober I've watched all your videos actually and have been using them for reference points, especially the one for increasing velocity of the throws. Hoping to get to that level someday Grin

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 8:23pm

Mersa how much better than paracord do u consider dyneema, I use paracord with 2 knots on either end of the pouch with the "basket" being made up of 9 cords for my general purpose sling as well as my favorite. I've watched some of VoloundExpound's videos and he really seems to love it on his gigantic slings and have been wondering about that.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 11:08pm

This is still the best demonstration of good slinging form for distance that I've seen yet. First throw is better than the second throw.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUWBqjOAde4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPCJ_zlAylU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 5:18am

Better isn’t probably the right word.

I prefer Dyneema.
I’m bias because I have used Dyneema the most.
But I think it’s stronger and more durable. More abrasive resistance and basically waterproof.
I like the super low stretch, I like the feeling of it.
And it’s word on the skin with fingerloops.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:40pm

I've paced out 180m before, used a ~70g smooth stone and a 40" paracord sling. Obviously the measurement method isn't very accurate, could be +- 20m perhaps.

I think I've probably broken 200m before when I used to sling more, no way of confirming though and I could be wrong.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:55pm

The farthest I ever slung a stone was about 200 yards, estimated with Google Earth.  I was using a modified jute pj, probably about 38".  I don't have any measurement for them but I know I've slung golf balls farther than that. 

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:57pm

Foresight17 wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 7:59pm:
I was watching some videos from community members and realized just how far I have to go. I also got curious about the farthest estimated distance all of u have achieved even if only once. I'm just starting my slinging journey but the pride I feel when launching a stone further than before is very awesome. My furthest throw so far is about 150 meters.

150 meters is great for someone who is just starting out.  It took me a few months to get past 100 meters.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2022 at 8:23pm

The farthest measured distance I have is 181 ft (55 m).  But in my defense, that was a stone that weighed 1.7 lb (765 g).  Wink

I've done distance slinging, but just for the fun of watching the projectile fly.  I never measured anything except when I was doing the big stones tests.  I've got the measuring wheel now, so it's something I should try to do more.

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 12:57am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 8:23pm:
The farthest measured distance I have is 181 ft (55 m).  But in my defense, that was a stone that weighed 1.7 lb (765 g).  Wink

I've done distance slinging, but just for the fun of watching the projectile fly.  I never measured anything except when I was doing the big stones tests.  I've got the measuring wheel now, so it's something I should try to do more.

I've watched a ton of ur videos aswell, ya man u like those giant rocks don't u. U throw those things really well especially for their size man, I have a rough time with just 500g ones! Love the shotgun sling especially Wink

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 1:02am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 1st, 2022 at 1:57pm:
Foresight17 wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 7:59pm:

150 meters is great for someone who is just starting out.  It took me a few months to get past 100 meters.

Thanks! I was inspired by this forum and decided to focus on trying to get high velocities with small (50g-100g) stones first rather than achieve accuracy, now that it's been a few months I'm learning to aim with the sidearm and trying to maintain as much velocity as possible, definitely impressive when I see some of y'all hitting balearic targets so consistently! Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 10:54am

Well, I've got definite throw of at least 220m

I heard it hit a tree and the treeline started at 220m.

But that was with an edk sling of around 30inches.

With a much longer sling designed for distance and much better ammo, I'm fairly sure I've thrown well over 300m.
But that's pure estimating.

And as you can never recover any ammo - guestimates are as good as it gets

Now if you had a drone with a top down view and threw into a body of water, you could get a fairly accurate measurement by matching the still image of the splash with Google earth, and using the measuring tool.
That would be fun.
And realistically, probably the only way we can currently do it.

The days of some gormless idiot standing downrange of a person slinging lead, are long gone.
I did survive, but It was close and I  wouldn't do it again.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 2:05pm

To measure my best throw I used a creek arm of a big quarry lake.  I stood where I  was able to reach the mouth of the creek arm with my best shot then measured from the spot I was standing to that point with Google Earth.  There could be a ten percent or so margin of error using that method.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)