Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to make a historical correct or living blowgun - need help please (Read 1028 times)
Tyrell90
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

How to make a historical correct or living blowgun - need help please
Jan 29th, 2022 at 10:22am

Hi, I'd like to make a blogun type that are used either in South America or Malaysia, but have no clue about its lenght, wood material and other needed diameters of the weapon. I can invest a lot of time into it, so doesnt matter, if the process would been time consuming, but I also dont know which tools do I need to buy to start the work. Id like it to be authentic, but have no idea if I can get such wood, so any other wood type I can use in Czech republic would been ok with me, Im bit more warried, if I can make it, if it doesntt require special skills and wouldnt be better to ask carpenter for help. But I would been much more satisfied bding able to make my very own. So if You guys know about any BLOWGUN specificforum...I havent found any, Id really appreciate it. Other than that any kind of help is welcomed, even if it would been words of support. Maybe a youtube video..really anything helpful. When it comes to darts, Id been also likely to hear what materials to use and how to make it work well. Thanks a lot!

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Re: How to make a historical correct or living blowgun - need help please
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 12:41am

I found them in Facebook blowgun groups, there are Dayak tribes in there, they even have their own competitions, blowguns over 8 feet long, bore size around 14mm.

But they are now advanced, the wood is only used as the outer cover, the actual blowgun is a long aluminum tube. Not sure if that's what you're looking for...

No one wants to use bare wood in this modern age, modern material is far superior, and hygienic.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2022 at 6:59pm

As LKH9 says, the modern relatively easy way is to use a bamboo tube, lined with an aluminum, copper or other metal tube.  The joints of bamboo can be  chipped out, or drilled out using the right size drill bit attached to a long rod.  Then the bore liner is tapped into the bamboo

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2022 at 12:22pm

This paper explores most of the blowgun types I know of and describes the techniques to make them.
https://www.academia.edu/6443472/THE_DEVELOPMENT_AND_DISTRIBUTION_OF_THE_BLOWGUN

@
StaffSlinger is right
Your best choice is probably a blowgun made from cane, with the inside removed. Don't need the metal though.
Here is a guy doing just that with a red glowing iron rod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDvyyXE3TU&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpF-J59mNJVIZzNyuJ0kS...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2022 at 2:24pm

https://youtu.be/pJBpkz29-DQ

I know its not traditional but Ive heard electrical conduit works well. Ive never tried it though so dont take my word on it.  Wink

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2022 at 10:49pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 26th, 2022 at 2:24pm:
https://youtu.be/pJBpkz29-DQ

I know its not traditional but Ive heard electrical conduit works well. Ive never tried it though so dont take my word on it.  Wink

I like this guy!

Electrical conduit was one of my very first blowguns 18 years ago, BlowgunHunter taught it in his website, gone. He used it to hunt rabbits. You have to oil the bore or it will rust and your darts will get loads of friction, more of a disposable blowgun. 

And there's a welding seam inside the bore, which is not favourable to us, will add more friction and damage the cones.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2022 at 4:19pm

I have yet to try it.  Wink Hopefully that will change someday but the list of projects I have is a mile long. The only blowgun Ive used was relatovely short but shot quite fast. I would definitely not want to get hit by those darts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)