Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Gotta Wonder Where This Ends (Read 6464 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Gotta Wonder Where This Ends
Reply #90 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 8:00am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/russia-s-debt-default-will-be...

Call my opinion simplistic if you like but it's all about the money and that's where Putin has screwed up royally.  This will be his undoing.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #91 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 9:51pm

I don’t think this will be Putin’s undoing, there’s more to his influence than just money. Apparently he has overwhelming support at home during this conflict.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #92 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 8:39am

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #93 - Apr 17th, 2022 at 8:10pm

From that article you just posted RM

"Despite the symbolism of a default, the economic implications for Russia and the world could be relatively small."

Even the fastest punishment, damaging Russia's credit rating, actually can't happen because of the European Union sanctions (again in that article you just posted). And even if it happened, that would damage their ability to trade internationally but the sanctions are preventing that from happening. Meanwhile the Ruble has recovered to pre-invasion levels and the Putin narrative that "it's the west against Russia" has been lent incredible levels of support.

Wealth matters absolutely. But wealth isn't just dollars.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #94 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 5:18am

I am far more worried about the dollar than the ruble.  When we are just the dollar and no longer the petrodollar we are in for a big problem. We are now seeing and,have for some time, talk of programable digital currency which I believe is going to correspond with the collapse or close to collapse of our current currency. It will likely be national at first then perhaps regional and final a global currency in the future.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #95 - Apr 29th, 2022 at 4:51pm

In war truth is the first casualty always
I feel I understand Putins position, but I don't agree with him.
Russia simply does not have the capacity to be what Putin wants it to be, they lack
It inherently.
It looks to me this will end very badly but it is out of our control,
But our own actions are not, which is what matters especially
In time crisis as they put our characters to the test.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #96 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:21am

One thing Russia as a nation has is a massive identity crisis
caused by the very chaotic and sad chain of historical events introduced by the revolution ( which was largely financed from overseas by foreigners)

Putin is trying to hold the fabric of that country together, tying together all kinds of opposing ideologies and sentiments due to the identity crisis of that nation and its people. That's why they fly the Tricolor flag next to the red star .

They blame Lenin for creating Ukraine yet at the same time rearise fallen Lenin statues in "liberated" cities.

Russia doesn't know whether to hate communism or to love it.
Hating communism would mean  the ''Great Patriotic War'' may not have been as Patriotic...
But hating communism would also mean agreeing with Hitler and thats a no no because Hitler wanted to destroy the Russian nation..
At the same time... if there never was communism in the first place, there might never have been a Hitler either.
Loving communism is also hard. It caused great starvation and persecution.
But at the same time, when communism did finally dissappear, the country fell into a great chaos and suffering.

The communists promised great things to the Russians when they got to power. They didn't deliver, on the contrary.
The capitalists promised great things to Russians when communism disentregated. They didn't deliver either.

Russia as a nation should therefor be handled carefully. They are not ''rational'' or grown up at the moment. They have an identity crisis. This failing war is making things a lot worse. Now that the west has pretty much guaranteed to keep
supplying Ukraine there's no real victory in sight. Plus domestic attacks are increasing. Yet their great victory parade is in 2 weeks and right now they got nothing to show for. If they wanted a victory in Ukraine they clearly should have steamrolled that country from the get go with all they had, but it seems to late now. Of course, I am just an armchair general, so my opinion is quite meaningless.
The nation is being pushed to a point where they very well could push the button. They feel their existence is starting to become threathened. I think this point would arrive when Ukraine gains more successes with western weaponry
and they start an offensive to retake Crimea and the East....

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)