Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Gotta Wonder Where This Ends (Read 6465 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Gotta Wonder Where This Ends
Jan 27th, 2022 at 3:39pm

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Gotta Wonder Where This Ends
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 6:05pm

I think we will see a cyber fallout possibly following this conflict. The internet will go down in Europe I think, possibly other electronics and services, they will say Russia is behind it. Could be. Could be more behind it. It would happen simultanously or after an invasion of Ukraine I;d imagine.

The World Economic Forum boss has warned of this possibility of a cyberpandemic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DKRvS-C04o

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 10:29am

Im very interested as well. I had this conversation with another member a few days ago. If NATO does decide to make a stronger response than usual that puts the target on the US. Since historically speaking as it stands we "are" NATO.  China and Russia working together is bad for us. Hopefully this ends up being nothing.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 2:40pm

Russian Navy is going to do exercises a few hundred km of Irish coast where the undersea telecommunication cables are

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/01/russian-navy-live-firing-off-irish-...
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/fears-russian-warships-could-moved-22...

Here's an article from 2018 on this threat,
https://www.lawfareblog.com/evaluating-russian-threat-undersea-cables

All very interesting...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 3:07pm

There are several of us here who lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis and remember it well.  It's like here we go again.  The last time we found a compromise.  Hopefully we will again.  No one wins WWIII.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 8:12pm

I can't see anybody launching nukes over this. The most anyone is threatening is "sanctions" which will drive China and Russia closer (which is bad for us, so the west doesn't even want to do that). It's been fascinating watching the US say "we'll shut down the pipeline" and the much more restrained statement from Germany to whom the pipeline runs. Ukraine is in a bad way. There are no good options for the west even if we played perfectly (hint: we ain't gonna). But this isn't the cuban missile crisis. It's far closer to when we carved up Poland.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 12:03am

Rat Man wrote on Jan 28th, 2022 at 3:07pm:
No one wins WWIII.

China wins.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/tucker-carlson-demands-answers-who-benefits-from
-war-against-russia/

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 1:56pm

If all out war was to break out between Russia and its allies and the West initially about 3800 nukes would be detonated in the atmosphere within a few hours.  Though at first China would fare better than the U.S. or Russia, assuming of course that they don't get involved, eventually they would be just as screwed as everyone else. Their air, food, and water would be totally contaminated.  WWIII would be the next great extinction event. 

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons#Sta
tistics

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 3:34pm

Just keep an eye on this event, could be big or nothing at all we will see

5r6327a1nke81.png (3472 KB | 27 )
5r6327a1nke81.png

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 3:47pm

Alright so a few hours ago the Russians said as a gesture of good will they will relocate the exercises outside the economic zone as a favour for the fishermen and to combat suspicions of cable cutting  so probably unlikely there will happen anything with these cables

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 11:07am

probably already planted and camouflaged their charges  Tongue

I kid I kid. Though of course I don't preclude the possibility. An interesting question to "well it would be extinction event" is do we commit suicide as a species over Ukraine? And since none of us have any power over that, have I spent my life especially the last couple of years in a good way?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 2:06pm

nuclear war is unlikely.
Nobody wins, everybody dies and the emf takes down the terrestrial internet, while the non-existent military satellites take out all the civilian communiction and gps satellites,  and those who never learned how to use  a library, are suddenly clueless and starve to death before the rest of us, who die in the nuclear winter.

Even the american government have to be able to understand that nuclear is only ever going to be an extinction level event.
Although I'd have to say I'm only about 60% sure of that. 

But russia re-invading it's former satellite countries, is quite likely and there's absolutely bugger all anyone could do about it, without going nuclear and the everyone dies.

So short of a land based war - and only china and the usa have a large enough standing army to bother russia in any significant way.

And china backs russia and america will keep well away from any conflict in europe.

So, yeah at some point - unless someone takes out putin - russian tanks are going to roll over somebody's borders.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 8:49am

I hope you're right and believe that you are.  But twice we've been on the brink of nuclear war and we are very lucky it didn't happen.
    The first was of course the Cuban Missile Crisis.
    The second was in Korea in 1976.  It happened on the DMZ at a place called Panmunjom or The Peace Village. It's also called the Joint Security Area.  This little known incident  was just as or even more dangerous than the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I was just a few miles away when this went down.  A lot of what I know might still be classified so I can't say much but trust me, we were closer to nuclear war than most people want to know. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49394758

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 7:59pm

I’m surprised I haven’t heard more about Russia’s invasion of Georgia in all of this. They did so a few months after Georgia was trying to commit to NATO. The Russians got what they wanted.

I really think NATO should call Russia’s bluff and quickly add Ukraine to NATO, as well as helping Ukraine take back occupied territories. Putin should be shown that throwing a hissyfit isn’t the way to get things done.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 6:17am

When the Soviet Union invaded Hungary in 1956 I was just a toddler.  My memories of that are very vague. In 1968 I was into my short wave radio.  The world was a much bigger place then and listening to broadcasts from all over the planet was a big deal to me.  One of the stations I regularly listened to was Radio Prague.  I had a front row seat for the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia.  The people resisted as best they could by barricading streets with trucks and busses and such but of course they were no match for the Soviet military machine.  The West stood by and did nothing because short of nuclear retaliation there was nothing we could do.  I listened as Radio Prague went off the air.  A few weeks later it was back but singing a completely different tune, of course.  It was very sad and depressing.
    I was born in 1954 so for the first half of my existence the Cold War was a way life.  When the Iron Curtain came down in 1989 I hoped we were done with this crap forever or at least for the rest of my life.  This tumoil is all too familiar. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)