Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling made of paracord(also hemp) - need bit of help please (Read 808 times)
Tyrell90
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Sling made of paracord(also hemp) - need bit of help please
Jan 27th, 2022 at 11:37am

Hi, I quiet like Practical Paracord slings, but dont want to order from USA, I want to make one myself. What all do I need? Please, best would been sizes and lenghts in cm, m, mm because Im in Czech republic. Also if there is something important to know, when it comes to paracord material, please, let me know. Im also considering hemp string, but dont know the ideal thickness of hemp string for slings. Thanks!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Sling made of paracord(also hemp) - need bit of help please
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 6:57pm

Well hemp and Paracord are very different, there’s lots of designs on this forum so your in the right place

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 2:48am

here is a link to Paracordshop.eu, take type 550  : https://www.paracord-shop.de/paracord?gclid=Cj0KCQiAosmPBhCPARIsAHOen-M0190NVX5t...

The diameter of hemp yarn is between 1-2 mm, I prefer 1.5 mm

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 1:29pm

Especially if you're just starting out, I'd say not to agonize too much about getting just the right cord.  Grab whatever is cheapest and fiddle around.  If you're braiding and weaving, go with thin stuff around 2mm.  Jute is the cheapest, but not as nice as hemp.  If it comes out too bulky and clunky, use fewer strands.  If it breaks or wears too thin, use more.

Paracord doesn't even have to be real paracord, either.  Any synthetic kernmantle cord will do as a facsimile.  I use camping cord or dollar tree junk paracord because it's way cheaper than the official super-strong fancy good stuff. 

I guess the point of my sermon is to use the cheap cord to perfect your construction technique, then when you want to make something really nice, you can be more choosy about the materials.

Oh, and about paracord - it's a bit slippery, at least until it gets good and dirty.  Keep that in mind if you make a split pouch out of paracord.  I've frightened myself a number of times using a slippery pouch. Shocked

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 8:01am

A paracord sling with hemp whipping is a nice combination.  And yes, paracord is slippery.  You must keep that in mind if you use whipping to help hold your sling together as I do in many of my designs.  Leave the ends that you whip over longer so the sling doesn't slip apart during use.  When I first started making slings I had this happen a few times. 

https://www.animatedknots.com/west-country-whipping-kno 

Experiment and don't get upset if you screw your first few slings up.  That's normal and a necessary part of the learning process for most.

And this is a momentous post for me.... # 13000!!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 12:15pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 29th, 2022 at 8:01am:
   A paracord sling with hemp whipping is a nice combination.  And yes, paracord is slippery.  You must keep that in mind if you use whipping to help hold your sling together as I do in many of my designs.  Leave the ends that you whip over longer so the sling doesn't slip apart during use.  When I first started making slings I had this happen a few times. 

https://www.animatedknots.com/west-country-whipping-kno 

Experiment and don't get upset if you screw your first few slings up.  That's normal and a necessary part of the learning process for most.

And this is a momentous post for me.... # 13000!!!!

Well done! Excellent contribution to the slinging community!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)