Send Topic Print
Fundraising (Read 1185 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Fundraising
Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 8:27am

I’m sure if someone has a solution to fix the issue with streaming and how it glitches out so badly he would be open ears.

Dan(the guy who started the fundraiser) is a super new slinger and really just wants more slinging content. His solution was try help fund some sort of better  connection or modem.
Channing is doing a lot for the community by putting on events, giving away slings, posting lots of content, etc

I actually am quite shocked at how this has been received by people.
I love the slinging community and I don’t really see any negative to helping each other achieve goals that benefit the community. Kick and nooc are other great examples that put their own time and money into helping grow the community. I’d gladly gave them some money and would again , if it means something that we all get to enjoy it’s a good thing right?? I know everyone has different budgets and timing of things. But honestly, a few dollars to all enjoy slinging content more?? If more people helped each other the world would be much better place.

This is our community, it’s very small, it’s a good thing if we all help and support each other.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 9:27am

I guess it's just different ways of dealing with problems.

And how we were brought up.
Channing does earn money from his content, so his channel is a commercial venture. 

There's a young woman xyla foxlin, who's videos I sometimes watch.

A lot like naomi wu - both play on the fact they're young attractive women, while also being solidly skilled enginers and makers.
Both earn their sole living from their youtube channel - through choice.

xyla had a video recently where she sold some of the things she'd made.

She was genuinely nervous about selling things and clearly thought it was maybe not the right way to get money.
While being absolutely unconcerned that her patreon funds were - essentially - just begging.

make a thing, sell a thing. Is honest money, but a lot of the way people garner funds online is clearly just asking people to give them money for little or no return.

Like i said, channing hasn't done this. Absolutely nothing against the guy and what he's doing.

But just remember, he IS running a youtube business.
And in the real world business don't just get given money.

Okay i can also see that you're giving a chap money who is providing a service you are prepared to pay for.
Again, nothing against that.
That's a solid commercial venture.

Just bear in mind, that's what it is.   

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 11:34am

Mersa wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 8:27am:
I actually am quite shocked at how this has been received by people.
I love the slinging community and I don’t really see any negative to helping each other achieve goals that benefit the community. Kick and nooc are other great examples that put their own time and money into helping grow the community. I’d gladly gave them some money and would again , if it means something that we all get to enjoy it’s a good thing right?? I know everyone has different budgets and timing of things. But honestly, a few dollars to all enjoy slinging content more?? If more people helped each other the world would be much better place.

THIS^^^

Beautifully said Mersa.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 9:27am:
And in the real world business don't just get given money.

Sure they do.  It's called investment.  GoFundMe, Kickstarter, etc. are just modern ways of doing it.  It's up to people to decide what they want to put their money toward.

I also disagree with the Patreon analogy.  Maybe some people do come across as beggars.  But if someone is creating content on the Internet that many people find entertaining, I don't see any problem with them having a method to get money from those people.  I think this actually enables a lot of independent creators to make their content available to the world when they otherwise would not be able to.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 9:27am:
the way people garner funds online is clearly just asking people to give them money for little or no return

Probably true.  But I think the same argument could be made for Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, etc.  Once the television show, movie, or video is over, there's not much to take away with you.  It's just about what someone is willing to spend on their entertainment.

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 30th, 2022 at 5:37am:
are these competitions a reason to fund someone internet?  at least not for me.  or do you want to pay for my internet too?  Here you go.  I don't stop her

For some people , yes it is a reason.  If it's not something you want to do, that's totally fair.

And maybe.  Start giving us a video every week of slinging tutorials, demonstrations, etc. and maybe some people will get together and pay for your Internet.  Wink

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 5:51pm

OK.  don't misunderstand.  everyone can of course support and finance whatever they want.  I personally find it strange.  I don't know him, he doesn't know me.  He's not really friendly to me either.  who likes his tutorials and instructions..... please do.  I find a lot of what he says extremely questionable.  but what do I know about sling?  I'm just the forums troll or ass.  😜😎 otherwise I can largely agree with Alex.  Great I have an online business.  i am a youtuber  and now please pay him the internet.  😜 exactly my humor.  I like to support people.  anyone who knows me knows that about me too.  i make many slings for kids from my group.  many can now better than many here in the forum.  I am very happy to support Boy Scouts.  I equip two of them regularly.  with clothes shoes and also knives.  I am not available as a sponsor for our slinging American.  is that mischievous?  no not at all.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 6:35pm

It's a bit of an open problem in trying to monetise content creation. Ads would be a traditional way but it's not gonna get you much unless you get a TON of traffic.

Platforms like patreon allow you to support work you value directly. Unfortunately, time is money and people aren't just gonna be able to make content all day for no financial reward. Supporting directly makes it more financially viable for putting your time towards creating content, and allows higher quality content without the creator going out of pocket. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement if you find the content worthwhile/entertaining.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 4:58am

I think all of us on the forum have some generosity for sure. We do siths, trades, compete in pointless games like eggs and pumpkin videos all sorts of things.

Perhaps if this was a more emotional issue it would resonate more or if we all knew each other face to face.

Slinging is very small.
By no means should people feel  obligated to help with financial assistance. It should be a choice.
And no hard feelings if you don’t want to contribute.
And I also see the irony in his poor quality live videos and also working on building up an audience for YouTube.
But channing hasn’t done this, Dan has started a fundraiser, it’s basically that dan doesn’t have a solution to a problem he would like to fix.

So to just be serious for a second.

If anyone on this forum had a second party try to raise funds for them and asked this community I would have suspected we all contribute to it in a minimum kind words. And probably any funds we had spare, this wasn’t how it was received at all and that’s actually kinda made me a disappointed.

If CA has another party make a go fund me for say replacement of a broken 3d  printer. It might not be something I’m interested in but if I had some spare money at the time I’d probably donate, if not I’d at least wish the best for the fundraiser. I’d at least show it around ( like I have right here) .

If Jaegoor was only unable to go the Mallorca because he couldn’t fund the costs himself and someone made a go fund me I would have thought a lot of support would happen from the community. Even if it was a surprise or not.

It’s actually disheartening to me that this generally nice gesture by dan is being turned into some negative comments.

I would not be able to financially justify a trip to the worlds , I would have thought if I asked this community it would have been positive even if no one had money to contribute.

It’s actually kinda sad

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2022 at 12:11pm

I haven't heard anything bad so far.  so I don't understand your sadness.  when he has such a large fan base.  it shouldn't be difficult to get the money you need.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)