Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Making Low-Effort Clay Glandes (Read 1190 times)
Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Making Low-Effort Clay Glandes
Jan 22nd, 2022 at 6:41pm

I have currently made one batch of clay glandes out of Crayola Air-Dry clay that I got on amazon. I have attached an image of them.

This was the first batch I have ever made. I know they are far from perfect, however, the point of this first batch was simply to see if clay would air-dry correctly up here.

They are all as hard as rocks. I look forward to testing them once the ground is a bit clearer.

Do you all have any tips on how to make glandes/ammo out of clay or something similar? I see that I need to use more pressure while forming them. I am also currently drying some paper mache balls as well.

ClayGlandes_B1.jpg (446 KB | 27 )
ClayGlandes_B1.jpg

IP Logged

BasedCrusader
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Making Low-Effort Clay Glandes
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2022 at 7:34pm

I need to order me some air dry clay

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2022 at 9:34pm

Unfortunately air dry clay is not very durable. Hits on hard surfaces will usually explode them

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

BasedCrusader
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 5:11am

I figured, but 5$ for a tub thatll make 20ish same size bullets? Get accuracy gains

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 9:38am

If you can get a golf ball net and make clay spheres you can really increase your bang for your buck. Clay is fine to mess with. Check the Ask Questions Here topic which recently had some questions and answers on making clay glandes.

IP Logged

Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 1:58pm

BasedCrusader wrote on Jan 23rd, 2022 at 5:11am:
I figured, but 5$ for a tub thatll make 20ish same size bullets? Get accuracy gains

The ten I made in the picture are from only 1/2LB of clay.

I threw two from my balcony to the road and they didn't pop like I expected them to. Before I could get to them snow claimed them.

I'm pretty happy with that result. Could it be because it's negative degrees here?

I checked out the guide and it is what inspired me to buy the air dry clay. I gotta try out that golf net trick once I get more room.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 3:05pm

I'm not familiar with air dry clay, but in general cold is going to make things more brittle.

Also, this isn't related to your question but I'll drop it in.  If you can sling close to home, you should get some spherical ice molds.  You can look around, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/VARWANEO-Silicone-Whiskey-Cocktail-bourbon/dp/B08DNN1BBR.  They're great projectiles, and you don't have to go gather them up after you throw them.  Their biggest limitation is they melt, but that's more of a summer problem.  Smiley

There are round though, so if you're a big fan of the glande shape you may not want something spherical.

IP Logged

Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 4:32pm

Awesome! I actually had some death star molds on hand, but they were too big. I'll pick those up if I see them in a store.

I'm liking the ball shapes a lot more because I'm slinging off of my balcony using a 24in split-pouch sling. My other slings are too long. I have no room to wind up, so I have to do it all in one motion.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2022 at 6:06pm

the easiest and quickest method for crafting clay ammo is with two planks

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2022 at 11:29am

IP Logged

Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 2:24pm

I had a picture of batch two, unfortunately, I can't upload that picture at the moment.
They were all rounder, around the size of golf balls.

Thank for the videos, I'll watch those and try them out.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2022 at 11:12am

For pretty much all general purpose slinging spheres are best.
Get the weight consistent, in many ways that's more important than the exact shape.

To make air dry clay a LOT more durable, wrap the dry missile in a quality masking tape.
Wide sellotape also works.

Concrete also works well, if you mix it to a fairly stiff consistency and add some pva glue to give it a bit more durability.

And it's dead cheap.

Use measuring scoops to get consistent weights.

I do make and sell precision ammo moulds, but the international postage had really priced me out of the market.

And honestly, hand rolled spheroids are as good for most slinging as anything else.

Consistent size and weight are what really count.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 2:34pm

Thanks for all the info. I've attached batch two down below. They've been made for a week but I wasn't able to post the pic till now.

I currently have actual glande-shaped ones drying at the moment. I made them using the two plank method and the videos helpfully linked above. They should be done is around two days.

Note: The lines cut into them are so I know the batch number when I use them. The next batch will have three tallys cut into them.

IP Logged

Combo42
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Watertown, NY
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2022 at 5:37pm

Batch 3

ClayGalndes_B3.png (510 KB | 21 )
ClayGalndes_B3.png

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:52pm

they're getting more consistent Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)