Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New longish term project (Read 367 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
New longish term project
Jan 20th, 2022 at 5:41pm

You when something pops up on youtube and you think: 'damn that's cool, why did I not know this was even a 'thing' ?

You can buy virtual/visual pinball tables !

Essentially full or near fullsize pinball cabinet. But uses a large screen instead of actual physical pinball play area and another monitor for the head board and graphics components.

And they look absolutely amazing !

Fair disclosure - in my youth I was a genuine pinball wizard.
If a had a few hours to spare at uni, I'd usually pop into the student union stick 50p in a pinball machine.
Play it till I'd had enough, or my mates turned up. And always leave it with credits.

I grew up playing pinball with my dad.
So these days anything we could do together is going to be an added bonus. 

I've always played pinball on my handheld game consoles.
The pokemon pinball on the gba was great, I think i did actually collect them all.

And the zen pinball collections on the 3ds are just fantastic.

But nothing beats the actual physical table experience.
But at £5-20,000 for a single analog table.
It's never been an option.

But now, with a visual pinball (I just joined the forum and they prefer 'visual' to 'virtual'. I mean i froth at the mouth when people use the word 'slingshot' incorrectly - so i know where they are coming from lol)
You can have 100s of different tables on the same machine.

The cheapest decent one to buy is $600-700 in the states and nearly £900 in the uk (for the same thing) and it's around 1.3 dollars to the pound at the moment.
So in the uk we're paying nearly twice as much.

Atgames pinball legends is the current budget king.

And essentially it's a large wooden box on legs. With a 32inch lcd screen, a glass panel and a 15inch monitor perched above the box at one end.

I can get a 32inch 1080p tv for £130 and a19 inch refurb monitor for £23 (yeah that surprised me as well lol) 
Throw in a sheet of plywood, some 3d printed bits and some gorilla glue, screws, cheap spray paint and a little imiginative ingenuity.
And there you are, sorta kinda lol

There are three physical controls. Two buttons and plunger.
Some speakers and a cheapish computer setup.
That i have lying around here anyway. 

I don't really care if it's painted in fancy colours. I figure a simple black and silver paint job will work just fine.

So I reckon I can make my own.

I've done some basic costing - and I reckon I can make a decent one for around £250.

The atgames legend is the size I'm aiming at. Not quite a full size cabinet, but big enough and uses 32inch screen - which are really cheap.

There is also a fairly major add-on bonus of this project.
In order to get the finished item into my workshop I will need to do some major tidying up to clear room.

I do not tidy up unless it's close to life or death !
But for a pinball table, yeah I reckon I can find the energy lol

So first, work my way through the visual  pinball forums and then make sure I know exactly what i need for the software.
Grab a hammer and have at it lol

here's the thing I'm looking at.
If i were in the states, I'd probably just buy one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68eUQ6WmEQ

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: New longish term project
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 7:41am

I was also a pinball wizard back in the day. Pinbot ahd HiSpeed were my favorites.  As you said, nothing beats the actual physical table experience. But this looks like the next best thing.  While actual pinball machines are getting progressively harder to find this might just scratch that itch.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: New longish term project
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 9:08am

I think they sell the atgames one in Walmar,
Go on you know you want one Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)