Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
China Poised to Take Over U.S. Auto Market (Read 815 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
China Poised to Take Over U.S. Auto Market
Jan 17th, 2022 at 2:39pm

Back in the 60s gas was cheap and America built and sold mostly big cars with big V8 engines.  My first two cars had V8s. As the price of gas went up dramatically American auto makers continued to make big cars with big V8s, completely ignoring the wants and needs of their customers. Japanese companies like Datsun (now Nissan), Toyota, Honda, etc. began selling small, cheap, fuel efficient vehicles here in the U.S.  They completely took over the market.  Unfortunately these Japanese companies have forgotten their roots. 
   America is on the verge of switching over to electric cars.  But have you priced one lately?  They average about forty thousand dollars base price.  Why?  Because they are too big, have more speed and range than necessary, and are loaded up with every superfluous gizmo and piece of high tech crap possible to drive the price up. America and Japan are ignoring what people can actually afford and what they need.  I would like to buy an electric for my next car but I don't have forty grand.  I don't have twenty grand.  But I can scrounge up ten grand.
   In 1988 I purchased my first new car... a Suzuki Samuri 4X.  It was tiny, had a small engine, and was a plain Jane without power steering, power brakes, power windows, an air conditioner... it didn't even have a radio.  But it was $8600.00 brand new and was everything I needed and nothing I didn't.  I had that car for twenty six years and it is to this day my favorite of all the 4Xs I have owned or driven. 
    China is the Japan of the 2020s.  They are about to flood the market with small, cheap electric vehicles that real people can actually afford.  Pictured below is the Kandi K27.  It has a top speed of 63mph and gets a hundred miles on a charge.  That might sound underwhelming but being retired a car like that would suit my needs exactly.  And it doesn't cost forty grand. It doesn't cost twenty grand.  With state incentives it costs about ten grand.  Soon there will be little, cheap Chinese electrics everywhere and once again American auto makers will miss the mark as will the Japanese.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2022 at 4:15pm by Rat Man »  

Kandi.jpg (86 KB | 14 )
Kandi.jpg

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: China Poised to Take Over U.S. Auto Market
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 10:51am

To be fair, you also self-identify as one of the cheapest people on the planet RM. 
Here’s a counterpoint: The Honda Odyssey is basically a rolling robotic limousine that’s optimized for hauling lots of children.  Doors open themselves, seats warm up at the push of a button, kids can wear headphones and watch a movie while the parents listen to their own music up front. You can also fold the seats down and haul full-sized lumber inside the cabin so that it’s not exposed to the elements. It also accelerates well and takes turns like a race car because of the low CG.  These vehicles can cost upwards of $50,000 and if you spend a lot of time driving kids around, they’re worth every penny. The features and capabilities enhance your driving experience and make it much more pleasant.
Personally, I love being the most ignored and underestimated car on the road too. If you’re only going to buy a car every decade or two, you might as well get something that you’ll enjoy… and if you buy one used, it’s not going to cost anywhere near $40k.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 4:23pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a car like the Odyssey.  If I had fifty grand to spend on a car I might get one.  For me such a car might as well be fifty million.  All I'm saying is that there is a large segment of the population that is being ignored by American and Japanese car manufacturers.  They are missing out on a huge market.
Affordable electric cars for people on limited or fixed incomes should also be available.  And they will be thanks to the Commies in China.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 5:13am

Ive heard great things about the Prius although thats not fully electric. A bit outside the price point you are looking for. No doubt we are on the verge of a big switch. Battery tech is pretty much there. I think the only thing really lagging behind is the charging stations. Man I would love a Tesla. Those are some nice cars. But realistically a new truck would be a more reasonable purchase for now.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 11:35am

The Prius played a great comic relief role in the movie Be Cool

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 5:49pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 11:35am:
The Prius played a great comic relief role in the movie Be Cool

Also The Other Guys.

Its often the butt of jokes but its a decent car.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2022 at 8:56am

Well assuming that the American car companies aren't all bought by the Chinese.

I think the only British owned car company left is Morgan. Who make hand built little sports cars with a 5 year waiting list.

Everyone else is either owned by the Germans, Chinese, Indians or ford.

And who knows how long it will be until ford gets bought out.

We live in a global economy and  business no longer recognises national borders.

As far as full electric cars go.
Wait about 5 years, then buy one with a blade battery.

Does not explode if damaged, around 700 miles on a  charge and a battery life measured in hundreds of thousands of miles, rather than the tens of thousands of the current generation of batteries.
Oh and around 30 mins from flat to fully charged.

At around the same time hydrogen powered cars will also be coming commercially online.
It's going to be interesting to see which wins out.

And there's also a small contingent pushing non-rechargeable aluminium air batteries.

Instead of refueling or recharging, you just get the whole battery changed.
Given they'd also need some small rechargeable capability to get to a changing station when the air battery died, I personally can't see them being used for the average car.

Racing cars maybe and niche usage vehicles.
As they are aluminium baed they'll be really cheap to make and lightweight. But essentially bigarse conventional AA's

But the odds are, no matter which technology comes out on top, it'll be made in china.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2022 at 3:25pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 5:13am:
Ive heard great things about the Prius although thats not fully electric. A bit outside the price point you are looking for. No doubt we are on the verge of a big switch. Battery tech is pretty much there. I think the only thing really lagging behind is the charging stations. Man I would love a Tesla. Those are some nice cars. But realistically a new truck would be a more reasonable purchase for now.

0 to 60 mph in 1.9 seconds.  That's sick!  All we need is 250 grand. 

https://evcompare.io/cars/tesla/tesla_roadster_2020/

Roadster.jpg (81 KB | 12 )
Roadster.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 7:39am

I remember hearing someone talk about driving in one and putting the pedal to the floor shoves you back in your seat like your in a rocket. I cant even imagine accelerating to 60 mph in less than 2 seconds. Thats crazy.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 7:57am

Plus it's not a bad looking car.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2022 at 1:55pm

It's no prius but I wouldnt turn it down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)