Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bought a knife off AliExpress (Read 779 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Bought a knife off AliExpress
Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:23am

Just an interesting shape.
It was just over £5 Inc

It's certainly bloody sharp.
Feels quite interesting in the hand.
Not sure what I'll use it for.
Trimming up maybe.

It'd be pretty good for chopping herbs.

I wasn't expecting it to come with the sheaf, as none of the pictures show oneso that was a nice surprise.

It's a really comfortable wooden handle.
The whole thing is well finished, just stupid value for money.

Not sure the bottle opener notch adds anything useful. But guess it doesn't hurt either.

20220115_125606.gif (5224 KB | 26 )
20220115_125606.gif

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Bought a knife off AliExpress
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 9:07am

Looks like a variation of the Ulu knife, that Alaskan eskimos use. Just with a small handle. The eskimos use it for cooking, to skinning moose and sea lions. I seen variations with one a 1 sided sharpend edge and double edge ( normal edge)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 10:45am

I agree with Ryans assessment. Looks like an Ulu. Excellent skinning knives. Ive got a couple as gifts and although they look a little odd from the typical Western mindset they work great. Yours is a much better design IMO. More ergonomic especially with the finger hole. Got a link from where you bought it?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 2:13pm

Ulu

Ulu.jpg (23 KB | 20 )
Ulu.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 8:11am

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003323810288.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.62e4...

try that.
£5.19 lol

I ordered it 28 december and it came 15 jan.

Weirdly I didn't se any pics of the sheaf in the aliexpress app.
It's just 'composite' leather - but looks nice and saves me having to bodge something up on the laser cutter Smiley

It would cost me almost as much, JUST to post it to someone in the uk !

I really think other countries should take the same initiative the chinese have and subsidise international shipping.

How you can winge about falling exports when it's so expensive to post anything abroad - I don't know.

I need to figure out someway of outsourcing the moulds to local printfarms.
Just ridiculous paying £17 to ship anything over 100gms to the states.

I've actually got a little 3d printing gig, because the chap in the states who started the job and fixed the model for someone in the uk - would pay more in postage, than I can print AND post it and make a little money.
Crazy.

If you look at the sheer volume of goods leaving china via chinapost and the ridiculously low cost.
It's driving the chinese economy more than juist about anything else except their total lack of health and safety regulations whistle

I was actually looking for a cheap gravity knife when that link cropped up lol
For the record, haven't found one yet.

I'll have to try slicing tomotoes - it's certainly sharp enough. The blade's fairly substantial, maybe 3mm as well.
The handle was definitely hand finished.
Just crazy for the money.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 10:58am

I agree thats a crazy value for the money. And I have nothing quite like it which makes it an easy decision.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 5:03pm

Oh yeah and there's a bald patch onmy arm that certifies it is shaving sharp Smiley

Ran into a guy who shoots deer for a living couple nights ago.

So this might get some practical useage sooner rather than later with any luck Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 7:59am

Every now and then, maybe once a year, although the last time was pre pandemic, we've got a friend who phones up and says: 'would you like a deer ?'

Now what he means is: 'I've been shooting or someone I know had been shooting and we've got a few carcases nobody else wants, I can bring you one in the next hour.'

We always say yes and that's the next days plans changed to deer processing.

So Thursday night, Phil phones.
Normally we get small roe or muntjak deer around 35lb weight
This time we got a red deer, culled in Scotland that weighed 105lb.

Wow !
So my little 'bought on a whim' knife got a serious baptism of fire yesterday, and I've still got the shoulders and ribs to finish today. But my new bonesaw has just arrived, so I'll have a go at making some racks of ribs.

Knife worked perfectly, kept its edge up through skinning and initial jointing, and resharpened easily when I started cutting the second haunch into roasting joints.

And while the sheer weight of the deer made initially moving it awkward, my dad's idea to hang it from the balcony, made it pretty simple.
Not saying it was easy getting it up there - but certainly made life much much easier once it was up.
And it turns out that boning out much larger haunches is an awful lot easier than smaller ones. Basically you just seperate the individual muscles, they're that large, each one makes a great joint.
And we picked the smallest carcase the chap had.

So, yep - not only is the knife cheap, it's also really bloody good and ideal for game processing.
Oh yeah and the finger hole really helps when things get slippery.

If I still drank beer and had any, I'd even have used the opener notch Smiley

20220129_122637.gif (957 KB | 22 )
20220129_122637.gif

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 1:41pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 29th, 2022 at 7:59am:
Every now and then, maybe once a year, although the last time was pre pandemic, we've got a friend who phones up and says: 'would you like a deer ?'

Now what he means is: 'I've been shooting or someone I know had been shooting and we've got a few carcases nobody else wants, I can bring you one in the next hour.'

We always say yes and that's the next days plans changed to deer processing.

So Thursday night, Phil phones.
Normally we get small roe or muntjak deer around 35lb weight
This time we got a red deer, culled in Scotland that weighed 105lb.
Smiley

Wow!  Wish I had a friend like that!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 4:30pm

Lol, yeah just wish he gave a bit more warning.
It's taken me 2 solid days.
But my new saw arrived lunch time, so I've even got 7lb of ribs in the freezer, which is s first.

Haven't added it all up yet, but I reckon you've got to be looking at 70lb of meat.
The only bones I kept were the ribs and the neck (for stock) everything else is boned.

We had some fillet steaks for dinner tonight.
Just fabulous !
If you buy venison at shop prices in the UK, you'd pay more for the two back fillets than we did for the entire deer.

Deer farmers in the UK are always moaning that they can't sell it in the UK.
Well at the prices they want to charge, I'm not surprised.

Our deer wasn't farmed, it was shot as part of necessary culling.
No natural predators.
So ethically and  humanely harvested.
And it was a through and through heart shot, pretty much instant.

Should keep us going for a while.
I've got about 8lb of shoulder that's going for stew meat, a bit more that's going for mince/ground meat and about 12lb of trim I'll use for sausage making.

And the dogs haven't done badly either.
But don't ask Phoebe, she rather fancied having a go at the whole carcase Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)