Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A dumb idea I had: The sling scarf. (Read 1280 times)
Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
A dumb idea I had: The sling scarf.
Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:12am

Inspired by the post about slinging in a Charlie Brown Christmas and someone mentioning trying to use a scarf before I wondered how much you could modify a scarf to have it be a usable sling but still also be a functional scarf. Not sure if anyone has tried this yet.

Hit up the local dollar tree and bought a 55 inch fleece scarf

Put a quick and dirty hand stitch into it after folding it twice and leaving a section in the middle for the pouch

After pulling the sewn parts inside out it was basically two tubes with a flat center and it worked surprisingly well at forming a proper pouch

Proof of concept seemed usable, got dark before I could get outside to test, so I brought it to work to use our sewing machine we use for conveyor belts and canvas

Turned it back inside out and as I said, it makes a surprisingly decent pouch (the flat side on the other side is the actual pouch, this is just showing how it grips like a bootleg split pouch)

Took it out back of work and slung a stone, it's honestly not horrible. It wouldn't be my first choice but it's functional. I might put a hole in one end and stitch a loop in it because gripping it between my fingers is awkward as hell.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FN8_xEMEWY (not sure how to embed video) now with video!

And it still works quite well as a scarf! I would prefer a longer scarf, but that's a different project entirely.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2022 at 2:56pm by Kordwar »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: A dumb idea I had: The sling scarf.
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:39am

So Ive done a lot of dumb things in my life. So I consider myself a bit of an expert on dumb things. That being said this is the opposite of a dumb thing. This is cool as hell! The only issue that Im having is the link you posted to the slinging video isnt visible. Can you repost it maybe?

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:43am

Morphy wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:39am:
So Ive done a lot of dumb things in my life. So I consider myself a bit of an expert on dumb things. That being said this is the opposite of a dumb thing. This is cool as hell! The only issue that Im having is the link you posted to the slinging video isnt visible. Can you repost it maybe?

I can do a quick video when I get home from work and edit my original post, I realized after you posted that the format the rest of the post was in implied a video or link

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:49am

I've been meaning to make a "fancy" strap sling, which would pretty much be a scarf but tougher material than  most scarfs are made from. It would be an interesting thing to play around with. Thanks for reminding me of that project Cheesy I guess you could also trim down the release end so it tapers, but then again I guess it starts being a question of "Where does a scarf end and a sling begin?"

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 11:05am

Kick wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:49am:
I've been meaning to make a "fancy" strap sling, which would pretty much be a scarf but tougher material than  most scarfs are made from. It would be an interesting thing to play around with. Thanks for reminding me of that project Cheesy I guess you could also trim down the release end so it tapers, but then again I guess it starts being a question of "Where does a scarf end and a sling begin?"

I guess tapering the stitch could work for the release, and it could even have the tassels/fringe on the end and still look scarf-like. I think one woven on a loom with the express purpose of being a ...Scling?(the name needs to be workshopped) Would do better

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 11:16am

Slarf?  Grin

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:25pm

Kordwar wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:43am:
Morphy wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:39am:

I can do a quick video when I get home from work and edit my original post, I realized after you posted that the format the rest of the post was in implied a video or link

Oh im just teasing lol. But if you want to post a video I can speak for everyone in saying we are all pretty much sling video junkies and theres a distinct lack of scarf sling videos out there. Seriously though, really awesome idea.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:04pm

Not dumb at all.  And what a relief it is to find a new guy who posts pictures that fit on the page!

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:18pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:04pm:
Not dumb at all.  And what a relief it is to find a new guy who posts pictures that fit on the page!

I had to do a bunch of digging to figure it out because I didn't want to get yelled at >.>

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:20pm

Kordwar wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:18pm:
I had to do a bunch of digging to figure it out because I didn't want to get yelled at >.>

The getting yelled at for not resizing a picture is almost a rite of passage. Good that you skipped over that step though Cheesy

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 1:27pm

Cool!
Sometimes I have worn a small scarf.

Scarf___Darts.jpg (393 KB | 29 )
Scarf___Darts.jpg

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 6:13pm

I will post a video tomorrow, it got too dark out. I did record but I came out looking like some sort of sling cryptid

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:00pm

We had a member from somewhere in the polynesian islands that used a scarf. Or was it a head band?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:45pm

Wait… you sew conveyor belts together at work?  When are we going to see a conveyor belt sling pouch?

How do you like those heavy duty  manual industrial sewing machines? I’ve seen them on eBay for around $100 and am occasionally tempted to buy one.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 9:53pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:45pm:
Wait… you sew conveyor belts together at work?  When are we going to see a conveyor belt sling pouch?

How do you like those heavy duty  manual industrial sewing machines? I’ve seen them on eBay for around $100 and am occasionally tempted to buy one.

I have actually considered it! They're typically really stiff, but there's one or two that miiight work, ironically it's the one belt style that needs to be sewn. I used to have to do it entirely by hand!

I was surprised at how well it works on heavy materials, it's a little fiddly to set up but overall I think it's worth it. If I didn't have access to one I would consider buying one myself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris)