Send Topic Print
Oranges (Read 506 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Oranges
Jan 12th, 2022 at 3:32pm

Let's assume you're at your local market about to purchase some oranges.  There are two groups to choose from.  In the first group the skin is an appealing deep, uniform orange color.  With the second group the skin is a lighter orange color with green blotches in it.  Which oranges are better? The first group are California oranges.  They look like the obvious choice.  The second group are Florida oranges.  It's perfectly normal for Florida oranges to have green blotches in the their skin when completely ripe.  The groups are equal in quality.  So there you go.

IP Logged

Peashooter
Tiro

Have fun Storming the
Castle!

Re: Oranges
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 11:26pm

Typically I think of California oranges as navel oranges.  They are a deep orange color, sweet, and have a thicker skin that’s easy to peel, making them easier to eat in sections.
The Florida oranges you describe sounds more like a Valencia  variety which would have a thinner skin, making it a little harder to peel. However those oranges would be better for juicing IMO.
Navels ripen in the winter, whereas Valencias get ripe in the summertime.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2022 at 7:36pm

I'd probably go for the California.  Totally using that 'book by its cover' judging method.  Although I do like Florida orange juice better than California.  So I'm probably making a mistake.

If we're breaking out of the listed options, my orange choice for juice is Mandarin.  I usually mix it with some other citrus and cherry juice for my morning get-started beverage.  For an orange to eat, my favorite is the Cara Cara.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 8:06am

Pretty sure we don't get either over here.

The best oranges I ever had were in Mallorca, I think they'd just been picked from a local village.

I ate 2 and took 3 for later.
Just sweeter, juicier and more flavourful than any other orange I've ever had.

So I guess, My answer would be.
Did I live closer to California or Florida, and which were likely to be the freshest.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2022 at 5:50pm

I bought some Blood Oranges last week.  They were strange but very good.  I would buy them again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)