New Jersey, USA
Well That Was Quick
Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:59pm

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Well That Was Quick
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 4:20pm

israel is first in vaccinations and produces variants, is it correlated ? we will never know because science was bribed and became politics  Undecided

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:33pm

As with Omicron, again I say”meh”.
Imagine if this much testing, data collection, money, and reporting was focused on the common cold… we’d be getting stories like this every week!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:28am

The problem is, that sooner rather than later  a covid variant will turn up with a significantly higher death rate, that's a given.
So keeping track of the new variants is important.
When the doomsday variant appears, it'll be s good idea to know as soon as possible which country to nuke - not entirely sarcastic.
Also the common cold, tends to have no aftereffects, Is not fatal, isn't anywhere near as contagious and responds to your bodies standard immune system without requiring vaccination.

You're comparing guinea pigs to automobiles.
Both have four mobility attachments, need fuel and move about.

But you'd never deep fry a car, probably not even at a Texas county fair whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 1:13pm

Sarosh wrote on Jan 9th, 2022 at 4:20pm:
israel is first in vaccinations and produces variants, is it correlated ? we will never know because science was bribed and became politics  Undecided

Israel is likely better at detecting them, they’ve been pretty far ahead in that stuff.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:33pm:
As with Omicron, again I say”meh”.
Imagine if this much testing, data collection, money, and reporting was focused on the common cold… we’d be getting stories like this every week!

Covid is a little more serious than the common cold, so it’s a bit more concerning. Hearing of new variants is getting a bit old, but it’s not something I’d want to mess with. Even without risk of death, the prospect of losing sense of smell for any long period doesn’t sound too good.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:28am:
But you'd never deep fry a car, probably not even at a Texas county fair whistle

That sounds like a challenge.

I wouldn’t hold your breath for a doomsday variant. I have to explain to people that even though lethality is declining, that’s not a given. The optimal virulence doesn’t mean it will always decline. But a doomsday variant is probably much more unlikely.
Also, the only acceptable times to bring up nukes as an option are when

A. The place is overrun by zombies
B. Some balloons are accidentally detected by the sensors
C. The target in question is Australia, Florida, or Ohio

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 2:15pm

C_A is right if we get airborne aids it is that serious.

However the risk run by COVID is very small. That's not just me crunching the numbers it's per the BBC. See the attachment.

If we had proper politicians and scientists who honestly said "this was a reasonable reaction when we didn't know if it was airborne aids but here are the risks, our response is disproportionate" instead at least in the US 2 of our highest jurors with minions getting the best and latest data stated as fact risks that are on their face wrong. One claimed that 27 times as many children were hospitalized as are. The other I think swapped out "million" for "thousand" in his head, regardless he claimed 3x the US population was infected.

We do what we can but this is a lot closer to the cold than it is to the black death.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 3:25pm

Whether we like it or not though it will be around for a long time like the flu. Lots of people got the flu shot but people still got it.
Luckily as viruses mutate they get weaker but also more contagious. From what I see the flu is almost non existent. I’ve not had it for the last five years, and I don’t remember anyone saying they’ve had it in the past couple years for sure. It seems covid is the new flu.

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 10:51pm

The CDC is now saying that Covid isn’t nearly as deadly as everyone thought.  The death toll was calculated incorrectly and is being corrected downward.

https://tinyurl.com/5be65yah

Original link (too long for forum linking, but you can copy/paste):

https://thepostmillennial.com/cdc-says-over-75-percent-of-covid-deaths-at-least-
4-comorbidities?utm_campaign=64487

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:45am

A year and a half ago I was mocked for what Fauci and the CDC are admitting openly now. Also covid hospital cases are not referring to people hospitalized for severe covid. They are people who are in the hospital who are then tested to see if they have covid as a matter of routine protocol and happen to have it in addition to whatever they went to the hospital for in the first place. Be that a broken leg or what have you. That's been admitted too now.

When I tried explaining that last year I was called a science denier. Crazy how that works. People need to be careful how they export their critical thinking to others. If you are violently against an idea until you hear it from a talking head on the box in your living room and then as soon as you hear it from them you believe it, its time to turn off that box and research for yourself because you have given over your ability to think to someone else who also has an agenda.

I say this not to anyone in particular but just generally speaking I think we all do this too often.

As for omicron its extremely contagious. Far more than anything Ive seen in the general population but as for severity yes its about like the common cold. Maybe a moderate flu at best. Actually a severe flu if Im  comparing right now would be worse as that can easily kill you but omicron has killed virtually no one and for that matter I havent even heard of anyone being intubated in my area for it. In other words omicron as it stands *right now* is a good thing. So long as those antibodies work for a wide range of variants.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2022 at 9:55am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 8:40am

Yes, not dying in the hospital on a ventilator right now pleases me immensely. And yes, in the long run this could be a good thing in that it will help with my immunity if and when more deadly new variants immerge. Still, I would have preferred to skip it.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:51pm

What is wrong with you all? You guys take some innocuous statements and twist it to fit some crazy narrative.

The comorbidities thing? We’ve know stuff like that since the beginning. That’s not anything new.

The kids and hospitalization thing? Morphy, you use the words “admitting”, as if there’s some secret conspiracy. Here’s an article that claims the other way:

https://www.newsweek.com/fauci-children-hospital-covid-omicron-1664676?amp=1

This claims that Fauci “downplays” child Covid cases, as if there’s a conspiracy the other way! In the end, both are spinning a likely matter of fact statement by Fauci.

I’m tired of Covid, and not just because it’s an annoying disease. A lot of people are using it as a political bludgeon, a wedge issue (don’t ban me, just pointing out something we all know). I’ve seen such disregard for our fellows in all this, so much mistrust and conspiracy. None of it has to be like this.

Covid is not a doomsday disease, we’re going to have to live with it. We can’t and probably shouldn’t keep up a lot of measures and practices forever.

But there are also people that my family has known, talked to every day, that have been killed by this. Mostly unvaxxed (some even in their 40s), but also recently one old man who was. I don’t know of anyone who has been killed by the flu, Covid is just worse.

Damn, I went on a rant again.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 10:28pm

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Im aware he came out and made that clarification.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 8:32am

Hirtius wrote on Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:51pm:
None of it has to be like this.

"this is the best we can do"-George Carlin

It's been 2 years do we know where covid came from? was it bat or lab or a bat in a lab? did someone commit a crime against humanity? who? is the vax the only solution? is it even a solution or just buying time? does it make it worse for some? why war time measures applied only to citizens and not to politicians around the world? why do we act like there is no covid on certain seasons? some of the countless reasons why trust is lost and things are like they are.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 9:00am

The things being said now were things that people who looked at data and applied middle school math argued a year ago. For our pains we were called everything from grannie killers to science deniers to conspiracy theorists. And now the narrative is changing to "we always knew that".

I'm arguing for what I've always argued: that we should make realistic risk assessment. And per the BBC and CDC they measured that risk at  0.03% mortality for an unvaccinated octogenerian.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 5:19pm

That risk level doesn't seem right. If extrapolated for the entire US population (many of which are vaccinated and under 80) it only predicts 56k deaths which I'm sure has been surpassed significantly in confirmed covid deaths.

Perhaps this data sample is taken from general population and not infected individuals? I.e. from 100k US based unvaccinated octogenerians, 28 died of covid in the time period. This represents absolute death rate in a fixed time period (of April-Oct 2021) rather than case-fatality rate. In other words it doesn't assume you are infected.

It seems to clash with a lot of other official and academic sources which put the case fatality rate much higher.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)