Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Increase power without losing accuracy? (Read 1135 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Increase power without losing accuracy?
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:32pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 7:48pm:
Vielleicht erwarten sie bei einem längerem Hebel mehr Kraftaufwand? Woher kommt diese?

The increased radius of the rotation.  This can do a couple things.  It doesn't take that much more effort to rotate a sling that is slightly longer, and because of the larger radius the projectile will be moving faster.  That obviously changes if a sling gets extremely long.  But in the first post the sling length was described as 'loop on finger to crease of elbow'.  That will be different for each person, but I would guess around 14 in (35 cm).  I think the additional effort needed to use a sling that is 50-60 cm is negligible.

Also, for someone that hasn't been slinging for a long time, a slightly longer sling can be an advantage.  Because the sling is longer, the projectile can reach the same speed with less rotations (basically talking about revolutions per minute) than a shorter sling.  This will effectively give the slinger a larger timeframe to release the projectile (and be on target) because the release angle isn't changing as fast.

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 7:48pm:
Ich habe gesehen, wie auf denn Balearen slinger mit sehr kurzen slings ganz erstaunliche Distanzen erreicht haben.

Absolutely.  But I'm not expecting the world record for slinging distance to be broken with a short sling.

Something else to keep in mind.  Most of us don't have an experienced sling instructor we can go to for lessons.  We can read about slinging and watch videos on YouTube, but ultimately most of us are just going outside and trying to figure things out.  The suggestion I made to try a slightly longer sling was just an attempt to help Foresight17 find his way.  If it helps, that's fine.  If it doesn't, he can try something else.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:05pm

Es war kein Angriff auf dich. Ich bin davon überzeugt, das dein Körper dir ein Optimum an Hebel vorgibt. Damit auch ein Optimum für die Länge einer Sling. Das heißt aber nicht, das kürzer oder länger nicht auch funktioniert.  Roll Eyes

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 8:47pm

I did not take it as an attack Jaegoor.  I was just responding with my thoughts on a couple things.  I think a very short sling can be difficult for newer slingers because they try to use too much body movement (or too much force) to compensate.  I agree 100% that form and technique are the most important things.

And likewise, there is absolutely no hostility intended in my responses.

We're cool.  This is just a discussion. Thumbs Up  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)