Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Increase power without losing accuracy? (Read 1121 times)
Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Increase power without losing accuracy?
Jan 7th, 2022 at 2:40pm

This is my first post on the forum excluding the introductions, happy to be here! Now onto business. I am having an issue delivering the same accuracy while using 85%-100% of my power compared to when slinging only using 60-75%. I have noticed that greek overhand style seems to deliver the most power without losing as much accuracy compared to the balearic style, although I am new to slinging (6 months-ish) so that could be due to lack of skill. But no matter what I do I can't seem to deliver a 100%, full power throw without my accuracy being dramatically reduced unless I am using a very short sling (loop on finger to crease of elbow) which naturally has less total energy potential. I would like to hear what You guys have to say about using full power without losing accuracy, and how I can increase my own accuracy without losing power. Thanks in advance everyone!  Grin

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Increase power without losing accuracy?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 3:38pm

Nobody can sling at 100% of their power without losing a lot of accuracy. The good news is that you can improve your power and efficiency to the point where 100% of your power in the beginning is only a fraction of what it is now. I've noticed that power increases naturally no matter what you do as long as you sling often. However, practicing it will increase it faster. Accuracy needs to be practiced more purposefully. In other words, if you practice consistently and intelligently, you'll accomplish amazing things.  Wink

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 6:23pm

SerKraus wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 3:38pm:
Nobody can sling at 100% of their power without losing a lot of accuracy.

I agree with this statement.  Power and projectile speed will come from efficiency of the throw.

There's a quote I love from a movie that came out a little while back.  It was about boxing, but the same concept applies.

"It's not about hitting it hard.  It's how good you hit it."

The sling you describe does sound very short.  If you make (or get) one that's 50% or so longer, you might find that you don't instinctively try to throw as hard.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 6:33pm

SerKraus wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 3:38pm:
Nobody can sling at 100% of their power without losing a lot of accuracy.

I also agree with this. But dial it back to 90% effort and you can get pretty decent consistency.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 7:14pm

Theres an old saying I like- "A slow hit is better than a fast miss."

Slow is relative in this case. Ive always advocated for fast target slinging. Slow lobs have no interest for me but 100% accuracy with 100% power is just not in the cards in slinging. I would say 85% to maybe as high as 90% and you can get good accuracy.

Over a long slinging session maybe 75-80% is more realistic if you want to maintain high precision.

If you want to deconstruct it further you can slightly lower your speed by slightly raising your projectile weight which can keep you precise over long sessions without losing net power. Speed yes, but not power.  The increased impact though will speak volumes.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 2:49am

Wovon messen sie 100% und vor allem wie messen sie es?
Ist es überhaupt sinnvoll? Nein das ist es nicht.
Sie verwenden ein Werkzeug. Eine Waffe. Einen Hebel.
100% ihrer armkraft sind wieviel % ihrer gesamten Körper Kraft?
80 bis 90 % niemals.
Nehmen sie ein Trebuchet. Hier können sie eine Leistung viel besser berechnen. Je näher sie der maximalen Belastung kommen, um so weiter gehen sie weg. Es droht nämlich ein Bruch. Die Zerstörung.
Dieses Gerede über maximal Power. Es ist nicht zielführend. Ja sogar falsch.
Wie oft muss ein Geschoss denn tödlich sein? Eine sling ist keine Overkill Waffe.
Der Spruch von morphy ist daher richtig gut.
Also hören wir mit dem maximal Power Quatsch auf. Ihre Kraft wird sich verbessern, wenn sie die Physik der sling verstanden haben und diese auch umsetzen können. Witzig dabei. Man wird die Kraft ihrer Schüsse nur noch in der Wirkung sehen.  Der Schuß selbst wird eher kraftlos wirken.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 12:57pm

If you sling at 85 or 90% power instead of 100% the difference in range and hitting power will be barely noticeable. But the difference in accuracy will be significant.

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 4:11pm

Ok, that does seem to be my observation as well after going out yesterday and trying it. Thanks for all the info guys, I also tried what joe said about a 50% longer sling and trying that qnd it worked really well!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 6:10pm

Awesome!  Thumbs Up

Keep everyone posted on how things progress.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 7:48pm

Ich Stelle die Frage nocheinmal. Woher wissen sie das sie mit 80, 90 oder 95 ,% schießen? Ist das die Kraft aus dem Arm, dem Bauch oder dem großem Zeh?
Eine längere Sling heißt, sie verändern denn Hebel. Für einen längeren Hebel brauche ich weniger Kraft? Erklären sie mir das physikalische Prinzip. Oder nicht. Ich kenne es bereits. Vielleicht erwarten sie bei einem längerem Hebel mehr Kraftaufwand? Woher kommt diese? Ich habe gesehen, wie auf denn Balearen slinger mit sehr kurzen slings ganz erstaunliche Distanzen erreicht haben. Schießen diese dann mit 125,%? Oder saugen sie Antimaterie ein? Oder machen sie etwas anders?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 10:02pm

I'll add to the "85% rule" to also say that improving other things like technique, hip involvement, ammo, idealized sling weight and length, and a few other factors can still lead to increased kinetic energy from your shot without an increase in physical effort.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 11:47pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 7:48pm:
Ich Stelle die Frage nocheinmal. Woher wissen sie das sie mit 80, 90 oder 95 ,% schießen? Ist das die Kraft aus dem Arm, dem Bauch oder dem großem Zeh?
Eine längere Sling heißt, sie verändern denn Hebel. Für einen längeren Hebel brauche ich weniger Kraft? Erklären sie mir das physikalische Prinzip. Oder nicht. Ich kenne es bereits. Vielleicht erwarten sie bei einem längerem Hebel mehr Kraftaufwand? Woher kommt diese? Ich habe gesehen, wie auf denn Balearen slinger mit sehr kurzen slings ganz erstaunliche Distanzen erreicht haben. Schießen diese dann mit 125,%? Oder saugen sie Antimaterie ein? Oder machen sie etwas anders?

Jaegoor, I believe most people responding to the original question have the intention of describing "effort level".  So "80% power" is actually 80% of full effort. This would be one's perceived effort.  In my opinion, this is the only way we can compare against ourself (unless a person has a method of measuring release energy or velocity). Of course it is less meaningful when comparing to others, because someone else's 80% effort level may get a sling bullet to the target faster than my 80% effort level, but it is useful way to compare among one's own results. For example, my 80% effort now gets much more velocity than my 100% effort level did 3 years ago. This is useful for longer range slinging because I can keep a flatter trajectory while still maintaining control over where the sling bullet goes. I think it's a useful concept.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 6:29am

Sorry. Nichts davon habe ich verstanden. Du widerspricht dich dazu selbst im eigenen Text. Eine angegebene Kraft in ,% anzugeben, ist nicht möglich. Sie ist nicht messbar. Warum sie also äußern? Es ist sogar irreführend. Eine Verbesserung von Leistung. Ob nun Kraft oder Genauigkeit oder Geschwindigkeit , wird beim slingen nicht durch mehr oder weniger Power erreicht. Optimieren sie ihre Bewegung. Und alles wird sich verbessern. Wink

Sorry I didn't understand any of this. You contradict yourself in your own text. It is not possible to specify a specified force in%. It cannot be measured. So why utter them? In fact, it's misleading. An improvement in performance. Whether it is power or accuracy or speed, when slinging is not achieved by more or less power. Optimize your movement. And everything will improve.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 7:27am

Jaegoor I think thats what they are saying as well just in a different way.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:01pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 9th, 2022 at 6:29am:
Sorry. Nichts davon habe ich verstanden.

I apologize. I do not know how to say things in English so they are easily understood in German. 

"Optimieren sie ihre Bewegung"  Yes. I agree.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris)