Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Worst night of the year ! (Read 618 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Worst night of the year !
Jan 5th, 2022 at 11:57am

Not specific to recent times, but in general, every single year, tonight is the worst night of my year.

Winter's start tends to coincide with the start of the Christmas season.
By the time I'm walking the dogs in full dark, Christmas lights have begun to appear.
As November turns to December and Christmas comes closer, the lights proliferate and the dogwalks and nighttime errands become journeys of illuminated exploration.
Each new house that lights up is a site of potential wonder.

I love walking the dogs this time of year, and we frequently pick out new routes to see what fresh optical delights await us.

Then comes 12th night.
And the lights all go out.

Life goes back to dark, damp, cold misery.

And I absolutely hate it !
Passionately, down to the roots of my very soul.

If it were up to me, the lights would stay up until Easter, until the nights were lighter again.

But it's not up to me.
So tonight marks the start of winter proper.

The literal: Dark Night Of The Soul.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Worst night of the year !
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 10:07am

That's interesting. Here in Wisconsin the lights are still plugged in. I don't know that there's any rhyme or reason to it. Used to be that some of us would say til new year's or til epiphany but I don't know. It did feel like there was more of a concerted effort with decorations in my town this year.

I think people stop turning on the inflatables though. That seems to be too far.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 12:26pm

Hey C_A… maybe you should buy a flashlight whistle

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 2:10pm

I enjoy the lights but maybe not to that extent. Im always amazed that people will go that far to decorate for Christmas. If I did as much as some of the people around here I would leave the lights up all year long. Its crazy how much work goes into it. One thing I do love though is walking down the street and seeing peoples Christmas trees lit up in their living room. Its a very warm, inviting feeling.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 4:05pm

Lmao, don't talk to me about flashlights and dog walking.

You don't need them unless you're in the woods. On the paths and fields it never gets dark enough to need one, we're not that rural.
There's always more than enough background scatter to see by. If you let your night vision develop.
On the rare occasions there is no cloud cover to bounce streetlights, the stars and moon supply all the light you should need.

If you must use a light, then use one that's as dim as you can get away with.
One that actually expands your night vision, rather than destroys it.

The bastards who go around imitating lighthouses, do nothing but destroy their night vision and limit their vision to the beam itself.

And they insist on shining the damn things in your eyes.
There are a lot of people who don't know just how lucky they are.

But one of these days someone's going to have one ripped from their head and inserted where nothing ever shines !

But I never said that and if it should happen - it definitely wasn't me and I wasn't there whistle

It's a totally seperate issue from enjoying Christmas lights.

In the UK it's traditional to take them down 12th night.
There doesn't seem to be any guide to when you light up. Some barely wait for Halloween to be over and some wait till a couple weeks before Christmas.
And some miserable buggers never have any.

So it's a constantly changing landscape of colour and motion.

And it's all gone away for another year Sad

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 10:14am

Here in New Jersey everyone has their own schedule for taking down Christmas.  There is no set day.  I usually dismantled everything on January 12th. 
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2022 at 1:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 8:24am

Yeah it is interesting, all countries have their own Christmas traditions and schedules.

In the UK Christmas was pretty much created by Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband. Who brought over a lot of German traditions, and with an almost blank canvas, created a lot of his own.

It's why American traditions differ so much, and indeed why most countries all have their own traditions.

I have no idea what is so significant about twelth night, other than it being a great night to be a drummer whistle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)