Send Topic Print
Guess Who Has Omicron (Read 2339 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Guess Who Has Omicron
Reply #30 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 9:07am

I don't think people are opposed to pesticides because they can't be washed off.  I think it's because of bee populations being destroyed.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:25pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 9:07am:
I don't think people are opposed to pesticides because they can't be washed off.  I think it's because of bee populations being destroyed.

Don’t get me wrong… I think pesticides are used improperly in many cases. My only point is that  the debate about “natural” vs man-made should be more nuanced. Many of the man-made things are simply mimicking what is already found in nature, and what is marketed as “natural” may just be manipulated in a different way… like selective breeding for higher concentrations of naturally occurring toxins.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #32 - Jan 20th, 2022 at 11:36pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 3:25pm:
My only point is that  the debate about “natural” vs man-made should be more nuanced. Many of the man-made things are simply mimicking what is already found in nature

Completely agree.

And many work more efficiently and effectively than natural counterparts.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 8:05am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 20th, 2022 at 12:11am:
Kick wrote on Jan 19th, 2022 at 12:52pm:
I always find it funny when people talk about "natural is best" and talk about the evils of the modern world they are very reluctant to give up their clothes, their food, their tools, their glass windows, their etc. etc.

Most people don’t understand just how nasty and cut-throat nature can be… especially the plant world!  One of my favorite examples of this is organic foods.  To be commercially viable, organic crops have to be high in natural toxins and carcinogens to prevent bugs from eating them.  The natural stuff is sometimes worse than the pesticides that you can just wash off.

Pesticides can be washed off but it's not as easy as many think.  Just washing your produce off with water does absolutely nothing.  Pesticides are made to remain on produce during rain storms.  They are actually quite stubborn.  Some react to acids, some just to bases.  The only way to get most of the pesticides off of your produce is to wash it in a solution of mild dish soap and vinegar.  I've been doing it this way since the eighties.  It might take a little more time but I've eaten just a small fraction of the bug spray as most people have.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)