Send Topic Print
Guess Who Has Omicron (Read 2340 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Guess Who Has Omicron
Jan 3rd, 2022 at 3:35pm

Yours truly.  I picked it up on Christmas dinner with my family.  The symptoms are an occasionally sore throat, a relentless hacking cough, sneezing fits, runny nose, and a foggy head.  Imagine the worst cold you ever had in your life, triple it, and you've got Omicron. 
    I've had all three shots so my chances are pretty good.  I just have to tough it out. 

Edit:  just like the say I lost my sense of smell so I can't taste anything.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2022 at 5:30pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Guess Who Has Omicron
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 5:14pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 5:44pm

Hope you get better soon. Omicron is truly the most contagious thing Ive ever seen.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:30pm

I know how that feels I had covid at the beginning of November and I still can’t smell at all. Thanksgiving sure was a lot different.

Hope you feel better soon and get your smell back sooner than me Grin

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:45pm

Sorry to hear that man.  As others have, I wish you a speedy recovery.  My brother-in-law just got diagnosed with COVID about a week ago.  Not sure which variant.  My last update was that all his symptoms are pretty much gone at this point.  I don't think he was every very bad.

And sorry to hear that Gaius.  One of the bartenders at my local watering hole said she lost her sense of smell when she had COVID, and most of it has never returned.  Not sure how long it's been for her.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 7:25am

Yeah the aftereffects can be persistent and worse than the initial infection.

There are kits you can get that help get your sense of smell and taste back.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/10ml-Essential-Oils-Starter-Gift/dp/B07HRWPDX8/ref=mp_s...

Bought my mum one last year and it definitely helped.

I'm only just getting over a non-covif multi viral infection that's pretty much hit everyone in the area
Damn thing lasts for 5-6 weeks.
Has similar symptoms to covid - but all covid tests negative - but you get your sense of taste back as it starts to die.
Which was a relief over the Christmas break.

But it made you cough until you saw stars and your ribcage hurt.
On the plus side after 5 weeks my stomach muscles are like steel bands.

But glad to get rid of it.
Face masks and coughing up phlegm - bad combination !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 4:41pm

Huh   I called my doctor yesterday but the whole medical system is so jammed up that they're not seeing anyone unless they're literally dying.  He prescribed Prednisone, zinc, and a cough syrup for me.  I'm coughing a little less.  This bug will take time to get rid of.  Thanks for the info, c_a.  And thanks for the kind words, guys.  I'm a tough old buzzard and I have no intention of letting this miserable plague win. 
    In retrospect this could have been avoided.  I could have stayed home from Christmas dinner with my family.  But I miss them and since this pandemic started it was only the second time we got together, the first being Thanksgiving.  I tried to hang tough and stay isolated but I'm only human.  I took a calculated risk and this time it didn't work out. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 6:21pm

Heard today an old friend died of covid the week before Christmas.
Had all three jabs, but it looks like she had some underlying medical conditions and went pretty fast.

Fortunately, as you say, you're pretty healthy, add that to the jabs and you should be fine Thumbs Up

If you do get the loss of taste, alternately sniffing the right essential oils regularly should help.

After effects do vary widely.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 9:55pm

That’s no good RM. Rest well, and I hope you recover quickly.  I don’t blame you for being tired of quarantine.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 3:20pm

I'm late to the well wishing but wish you all the best!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 2:22pm

Thanks guys.  It's a little over three weeks since I was infected.  I'm about 85% now.  For me Omicron was similar in intensity to a minor flu or a very bad cold.  And though the symptoms were very similar to both it felt exactly like neither.  There was no doubt that I had something new and different.  Unfortunately this is nothing I can describe verbally. 
   For the past few days I've been walking the dogs twice a day again though I was taking just short, less than two mile walks.  This morning I took our first longer, five mile walk.  It was a beautiful cold, clear morning and it felt good.  It looks like I'm back. And my sense of smell is mostly restored.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2022 at 11:42am

Good to hear you're recovering. Just remember to take a ball and sling with you on those walks to prep for the online competition Wink

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2022 at 12:08pm

^This.

Nothing says you beat covid like slinging.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 4:55pm

3 vaccinations and you got omicron. Life sure is funny. I have not taken any jab, do not social distance, nor disinfect my hands, or  wear masks, or lived my life any differently than before, and have never gotten, what they call covid. What I did do, is turn off the TV. Grin

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 10:13pm

Um… J? You should probably still wash your hands even if you didn’t do that before.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)