Send Topic Print
Dream Slinging Setup? (Read 1272 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Dream Slinging Setup?
Jan 1st, 2022 at 3:41pm

Realistically, if you could make your ideal slinging setup, what would it look like? What ranges would you have? What ammo and target would you use? etc.

You may split this in to two answers:
1: A setup you will only dream of
2: A setup you might actually realise

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Dream Slinging Setup?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 7:19am

1: a very large backyard with plenty of stones and targets at all distances, clearance all around and huge piles of perfect stones with guest houses on the property for all international slingers that could come and visit . A large cleared property inside a big forest would be nice, for the echo of the whip crack but also as a wind break
2: any random place that I can access without too much travel, with plenty of round stones laying about so I don't have to pry out stones imbedded in the soil with a screw driver

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 7:57am

1. Some type of magical reloading sling that shoots lightning covered gold glandes. Set in some pristine beach and forest landscape with every slinging target you can imagine just appearing with your imagination. May as well be able to levitate while we’re at it.

2. Solid baleric target and Large backstop that doesn’t break ammo but stops it. Steel/lead glandes

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 8:20am

My personal dream is more modest.   My dream is that when I visit the Amtrak line where I do my slinging, my ammo (all the millions of irregular, jagged stones there) are now perfectly shaped glandes.

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 8:52am

1. The earth. I say "fire in the hole" and every human evacuates an area of 5km radius around me at the double(people around me would be very healthy and good runners after a while) when I say "safe" we return back to normal. I can sling at anything with no consequences during that time. I also have a jetbike or teleport abilities to go anywhere in the world to sling.

2. it constantly changes, depends on opportunities

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 9:46am

1. 10 acres of good forest with rivers and ammo

2. A large backyard

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 12:48pm

1.  I would like a target stand so you could attach any target desired.  Balearic, pumpkins, boards to smash, whatever.  The stand would also be able to move.  Maybe computer controlled so you could program the distance and direction.  Or a path for it to follow while you sling at the target while it's moving.

The target stand should also have sensors and cameras (definitely need some slo-mo) to show you exactly where any hits are, force of the impact, etc.  With some of the projectiles I throw, the stand would also need to be essentially unbreakable.  Cheesy

Also an automatic projectile return.  No more manually gathering up ammo.

2. On a more realistic note, I don't have any real complaints about my current spot.  Just two small ones, neither of which anything can be done about.  We're in that time of year where it's either really cold, or really wet and muddy outside.  It just makes going out and slinging less fun, especially when the yard is a swampy wet mess (like right now).  I'm more of a cold weather person, but for slinging I can't wait to get to Spring/Summer again.  The other is my yard is a big hill.  Not steep enough to prevent slinging, but I wish it was flatter.

I guess both my 1 & 2 are things that won't happen (other than waiting for the season to change).

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 4:22pm

Ich bin wunschlos glücklich.
Ich habe drei gute Plätze für mein Training.
Perfekte Steine hole ich von der Ostsee. Es ist zwar ein weiter weg, aber ich bin sehr gerne dort.
Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 7:44pm

A mound of perfectly egg shaped rocks weighing incrementally from 70g-150g.
A balearic competition target. Next to it one of those hilarious wooden knight shaped practice dummy's that you only see in medieval fantasy video games.
Lastly the ocean behind both targets so I can try for some insane distances.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 11:37am

Obviously none of you live anywhere the weather is a major factor - except maybe mersa, but i suspect that jusy because he like beaches Smiley

So for me I would like a large barn - around 50 metres long. It can have a large door on rollers on at ;least one side, for slinging in summer Smiley
But a solid concrete back wall that I can stand or hang any target from is essential.

A large bbq area and solar roof panels supplying a truck sized blade battery (look it up) so I've got power for the music system, a modified belt printer that's can make as much of my indestructible ammo as I like.
A decent sized fridge and maybe some heating for winter.
And a toilet Smiley

What's the poit of the perfect slinging setup if you can't have friends round for slinging bbqs ?
(obviously we won't let morphy do the cooking whistle )

I'll probably build a walk in charcuterie curing room as well for homemade salami's and the like.

If I ever win the lottery, something like that would be simple to do. Buy a piece of land and set up a slinging academy.
Of course in the real world, you'd also need near-lethal security to stop the arseholes from breaking in and nicklng stuff.

So maybe also one of the robot dogs from the kingsman golden circle film.
Pretty sure boston dynamics could knock me up something very similiar Smiley

In reality I'd still like the use of an old barn. Just the perfect setup. Nobody cares if you break stuff and it keeps the rain off.
Keeping the rain off is pretty crucial in the uk.  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 2:51pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 3rd, 2022 at 11:37am:
Obviously none of you live anywhere the weather is a major factor

Canadian winters were bloody annoying when I had a huge slinging itch to scratch. Cant sling with gloves on, without gloves your fingers freeze. Stones frozen in the permafrost, moisture + cold makes ice build up on the sling. Only practical option was doing it inside. Ended up slinging in the basement, and may or may not have made several holes in the walls by accident... Embarrassed

An indoor range regardless of your climate is an ideal thing to have. You don't irritate the neighbors with cracking slings, and their lives aren't threatened by stones that try to be free. Grin
Ideally I'd love to have a 50-100m range with a big curtain backstop, to practice with pewter glandes.

Realistically, I shall soon (hopefully) have a private 30m range with golf net as a backstop. Golf balls should be a great to practice with (being easy to spot, tough as nails, aerodynamic, cheapish, and decent weight). They have quite a similar trajectory to stones at such ranges, but are much less dangerous, much more consistent, and easily stopped by a net.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:53pm by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 6:05pm

Golf balls are a love hate relationship for me . I’ve had some freakish ricochet that scared the crap out of me, similar experiences with steel balls . But they are super fun in the right setting. I actually love sling golf  only played one game but it was really really fun. Indoor range is nice for sure but I also love distance slinging and aerial targets so there’s no perfect place for everything. Having the ocean close by is definitely a plus.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 7:13am

Yeah golf balls are just too bouncy for me.
Also at more than 20 metres they curve like a snake with cramp down one side.
At 50metres I can put a full 90degree curve into a golf ball throw.

It's impressive to see Smiley

Well distance slinging is really all about perfecting the perfect balance of sling length and technique. At least if you practice indoors, you get to use the ammo more than once.
Like those golf driving simulators with the
Nets.

Hmm, now that could definitely be configured for slinging.
Wonder what they cost.

But I'll add one to my man-barn Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 10:08am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 4th, 2022 at 7:13am:
Also at more than 20 metres they curve like a snake with cramp down one side.
At 50metres I can put a full 90degree curve into a golf ball throw.

They fly quite straight for me, at 20m they're a lazer beam. Shows that we release quite differently.
Yes golf balls have quite a scary bounce, but that's why I'm opting for a net. Nets are also quiet, so people around shouldn't be bothered by incessant banging...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 11:16am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 3rd, 2022 at 2:51pm:
Golf balls should be a great to practice with (being easy to spot, tough as nails, aerodynamic, cheapish, and decent weight)

at what price do you find them? I can only find them at 4euro each

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)