Send Topic Print
Lots of Jute (Read 658 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Lots of Jute
Jan 1st, 2022 at 1:56pm

As many of you know I like jute a lot.  It's as cheap as dirt, it has little memory, it's soft so it's very easy to work with, and it makes a nice rustic looking sling.  There is another reason though. 
    About twenty years ago a very dear friend who is now deceased, an impossibly beautiful redhead named Stephanie, used to work for the local school system.  She had no qualms whatsoever about taking what ever she wanted on a five fingered discount as a fringe benefit.  My late wife Marie and I often benefitted from this.  To this day I have odds and ends she gave to us. 
     One of the things she gave me was an entire case of jute twine.  I have no idea how many spools were in there initially.  Hundreds.  Probably eighty percent of the slings I've made have been from that batch of jute.  I still have a lot left.  I doubt I'll use it all before I croak.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Lots of Jute
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:14pm

Jute is really interesting. I *want* to love it. It’s really nice to braid but I tend to be very hard on slings. My slings from natural fibers break fairly quickly and that’s doubly true for jute. Still I think maybe if I waxed it or maybe made the sling cords thicker it would last a lot longer. I can see why you like it so much. I think in my case it’s more operator error.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 8:34pm

Jute slings, like any slings made from natural fiber, will wear out.  For me jute slings last a reasonable amount of time but that's just my personal opinion.  I do use West Country Whipping to protect both ends of the pouch and the retention loop.  What usually wears out first on my jute slings is the cracker. 

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 10:56pm

In my experience, my main sling was a simple jute split pouch with a synthetic tassel. After more than a year of constant use, one of the splits has started to unbraid. The worst thing you can do is sling abrasive ammo. What you sling is like what you eat. Eating trash will make you perform worse and shorten your life.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 7:41am

SerKraus wrote on Jan 4th, 2022 at 10:56pm:
In my experience, my main sling was a simple jute split pouch with a synthetic tassel. After more than a year of constant use, one of the splits has started to unbraid. The worst thing you can do is sling abrasive ammo. What you sling is like what you eat. Eating trash will make you perform worse and shorten your life.

Well said.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 1:07pm

Most of the remains of my jute stash:

Jute.jpg (349 KB | 16 )
Jute.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 1:31pm

Grand Theft Jute anyone???  Grin

What a nice gift  Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 10:12am

Stephanie used to sling with me sometimes.  She is the only adult female I ever taught to sling as far as I can recall.  My wife and daughter treated my slinging as a sort of mental illness.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 5:39pm

The sooner you embrace it, the better.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:12pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 7th, 2022 at 10:12am:
    Stephanie used to sling with me sometimes.  She is the only adult female I ever taught to sling as far as I can recall.  My wife and daughter treated my slinging as a sort of mental illness. 

Genius often isn’t understood in its time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)