IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Balearic "Bulleseye"?
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 2:32pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 11:13am:
Here's a thought I had.  What if the small bullseye only gets you the normal 2 points of a diana, but also another throw.

Now there's a thought....

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:27am:
Is it a needed addition ? Well no.
Is it an interesting and fun addition ? Definitely !

Agreed!

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 2:56pm

I understand where you are both coming from, but due to the small size of the bullseye, I believe the circumstances you describe would not be a common occurrence. It's like archery and darts, where you can be lucky now and then, but the real points are gained through being consistent.
The more consistent you are, the more likely you are to hit the bullseye.
I see it's application in competitions amongst experienced slingers, not for beginners (where it can become a negative like you described)
The appeal to a lower skill level is probably why the Balearic target never had a bullseye in the first place.

The problem with a hole is the shots that hit the rim could bounce unpredictably and be a bit of a nuisance. The way I would do it is by replacing the backboard with a net, making the diana plywood, and the bullseye metal. This would make the target system more compact as well.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 3:06pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 11:13am:
Here's a thought I had.  What if the small bullseye only gets you the normal 2 points of a diana, but also another throw.  With a maximum of one extra throw per round.  So in effect, you could get 4 points for that hit, but you would need to get the small bullseye and another diana to do it.

This is an interesting concept. I think my preference would be to raise the maximum to 5 spares per round, which means a hypothetical 20 shots in a game with 40 points total.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 3:07pm

Mersa wrote on Jan 4th, 2022 at 5:41pm:
My request for you is if you really desire a challenge with pinpoint accuracy why not try the 1 min can challenge.  It is extremely challenging and channing has the current record of 6 cans in 1 min.

I'll start collecting cans... Wink

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 4:29pm

Quote:
The appeal to a lower skill level is probably why the Balearic target never had a bullseye in the first place.

Hmm, I take it you've never slung in a balearic competition, with the standard target and beach stones.

If it was as easy as you seem to think it is.
How come 20 points from 20 throws is STILL a very good competition score.

I've never even heard of anyone ever scoring 30 or above.
Even luis pons livermore or jaegoor, don't score that high.

These online competitions are all well and good, but almost none of them are using a proper balearic target or the correct distance.
And not one is held in a similiar atmosphere.

Before you start saying how easy it is - look at the facts and the actual statistics. 

Come to the balearic islands this year and please, show us all just how easy it is Smiley
And how much better you are than the 'low skill' guys who have been doing it for 50 years.

I agree, when you stand on the throw line and look at the really big target, you just do not understand how you keep missing - but miss you do.

The balearic target is - roughly representative of a human being, potentially in motion - the diana is at head height for an average height person.
That's why it's the size it is and the height it is.
A smaller bullseye is not needed, for the simple reason that hitting a head at even 20 metres, under stress - is bloody difficult enough as it is.

You clearly have not looked at any competition statistics, or you simple believe every slinger in every balearic competition is bloody useless.

Don't disparage something you have not done or insult the skill level of people who are vastly better slingers than you will probably ever be. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 5:37pm

CA, you have utterly misunderstood what I was meaning by that statement. Your little rant is completely
unwarranted. It is under the assumption that I implied the standard Balearic target does not appeal to slingers with a high degree of skill.
What I was saying is that the target is accommodating to those of a lower skill level, not that everyone who slings at it has a low degree of skill.
Nor did I make any implication of my own skill, at all. The context of this thread started with the 13m games with tennis-balls, where hitting the diana is a much more common occurrence than when it's set at 20m. Hence a bullseye may be something worth considering in that context.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 6:05pm

Definitely some interesting ideas and suggestions.
I’m not a fan of changing the scoring system but there’s definitely some cool idea out there for changes to the game . I do like a very small hole idea , because then it needs to go in the hole to count so only the most perfect shots will count. But the extra points I’m not such a fan of.

Currently how I see it is the slinging community has had a massive amount of growth in the past few years and mainly it’s got to do with more slinging content being available.
Channing has put a lot of time money and effort into his part and has definitely help expand the community.
Kick and nooc have also invested time money and effort into creating another format that slinging might reach people (catch this Podcast)
The competition in Spain and this forum.

Now as we grow we will definitely get better and there will be a point eventually that the scores will be tied at the top level. Possibly even perfect rounds.
The game currently how well can you group 10 throws , if all are within 25cm of direct center you have a perfect game. Adding another scoring circle makes the game more about each throw than it already is . I think in the future it’s maybe a solution but like I said the easiest way to make it more difficult is just move further away.

If we really want to display precision accuracy I think we just change the game completely not modify a perfectly functional game .

Cans have always been a good display of accuracy whether it be a bow a gun a slingshot etc.
most likely if you can hit a can at a reasonable distance regularly you are a top shooter.

Now we could push it even further and try light a match (my personal peak goal for accuracy trickshot)
Irongoober has almost done it but there was a few problems with how the match lights.

For ma the best games are
2 rounds of 5 throws on a baleric target at a given distance
The 1 min can challenge
Sling golf.
Some type of sling battle/paintball

All have different elements of skill and are fun even by yourself. Except the battle

Anything other than this starts to move towards trickshot territory

An overlooked portion of this is if the bullseye would actually help with aiming , I believe it definitely does I find the aim small miss small saying to be very true. So perhaps we could put bullseyes on Diana but score the same and just see how much improvement there is and also could test the scoring system with real rounds but honestly it’s a no from me . I think the game is perfect as it stands.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 6:30pm

Perhaps its only me but I find it a bit easier holding tighter groups with something smaller to aim at. Are we sure this would have the intended effect? Maybe it would just make it easier to hit the diana in general.

I understand where CA is coming from. Although Ive never been to the competition I get the sense that although it seems like it's set up to appeal towards lower skill levels when you actually stand on the line and sling after waiting a good 30 mins with the stress of everyone watching its probably much more difficult than it seems. Necessity is the mother of invention and if it hasnt been done yet perhaps thats because it hasnt been seen as a necessity.

Four seems a bit high for me. Ive actually advocated on several occasions for a diana with a center bullseye in the past. But as of right now I have to agree until we start seeing multiple people at each competition hitting perfect 20s I dont see a huge motivation to do this.

As it stands right now people can get close to the max score which makes it exciting without it happening often (or ever maybe?) and I think thats a good thing.

Lastly theres the current cultural inertia to consider. There are slinging federations springing up all over. Most seem to have adopted the Balearic target. Where would that put whatever group that chooses a different target? I suppose they would be considered a different type of slinging association. That might be a good thing or might not. Just something to consider.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 7:03pm

There’s not going to be one game that appeals to everyone the same.  I like the idea of multiple competitions with slight variations on the traditional rules.  That allows different ideas to be tested and vetted in the real world.

I also think it’s ok to have games that are completely different too!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 7:21pm

Hmm i posted at the same time as Mersa. Seems he read my mind.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:00pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 7:21pm:

Well I’m just going to say that you’re wrong Morphy, but I do completely agree with Mersa.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:12pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:00pm:

Well I’m just going to say that you’re wrong Morphy, but I do completely agree with Mersa.

Weird because I disagree with Mersa but agree with you.  Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:18pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:12pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 8:00pm:

Weird because I disagree with Mersa but agree with you.  Tongue

And that’s where you’re wrong!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 7:26am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 5th, 2022 at 5:37pm:
CA, you have utterly misunderstood what I was meaning by that statement. Your little rant is completely
unwarranted. It is under the assumption that I implied the standard Balearic target does not appeal to slingers with a high degree of skill.
What I was saying is that the target is accommodating to those of a lower skill level, not that everyone who slings at it has a low degree of skill.
Nor did I make any implication of my own skill, at all. The context of this thread started with the 13m games with tennis-balls, where hitting the diana is a much more common occurrence than when it's set at 20m. Hence a bullseye may be something worth considering in that context.

Don't say what you don't mean.
Although you still persist with the fallacy that it's an easy target to hit.

It's all down to specific circumstances.
Your assertion was that the Balearic target was developed to make hitting the target easy.

And that's just plain wrong.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 10:21am

Eine Diane ist eine Diane. Ein gutes und logisches Ziel für eine bestimmte Disziplin. Warum etwas einfaches komplizierter machen.
Ich denke, das Tierbilder auf Metall immer noch eine gute neue Disziplin wäre.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)