Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: Who’s idea deserves the 2021 Abstract Ammo Win?
*** This poll has now closed ***

IronGoober    
  8 (42.1%)
CuriousAardvark    
  2 (10.5%)
Kick    
  0 (0.0%)
Joe_Meadmaker    
  2 (10.5%)
StoneHuevos    
  4 (21.1%)
Albion Slinger/Archiac Arms    
  1 (5.3%)
NoOneOfConsequences    
  1 (5.3%)
Kordwar    
  1 (5.3%)

Total votes: 19
« Created by: Morphy on: Dec 18th, 2021 at 11:07am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vote for a 2021 Abstract Ammo Winner! (Read 954 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Vote for a 2021 Abstract Ammo Winner!
Dec 18th, 2021 at 11:07am

Well, first off thanks all for the entries. I just went through them again and my goodness what an amazing turn out! You all did not hold back this year!

I chose the first entry posted when more than one entry was posted. If you prefer another of your entries posted or a different one please PM and I will change it. It’s not a problem.  Smiley

Remember if these prototypes did not end up working as expected that does not disqualify you. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea and who are we kidding we all have other responsibilities so a good idea in this case is good enough. So long as it’s out there someone will take it to working prototype eventually.

So let’s get to this:

#1 IronGoober

Sling Judo Point

“This is the sling judo point. It is designed so that when the front point hits a target, wires pop out of the sides and catch on the ground/grass to make it easier to retrieve.” -IronGoober

#2  Curious Aardvark

Jet Glandes

“They are for distance, so even a high resolution video will lose track after about 100 metres.“- Curious Aardvark

#3  Kick

Pointed Steel Glande

“ I made this a few years back from a plumb bob and I remember it working well and leaving a gnarly dent in the frying pan target”- Kick

#4 Joe_Meadmaker

Ice Arrows

“It never occurred to me while making them, but as soon as I took one out of the mold I realized that I reinvented the ice arrows from Ocarina of Time. “- Joe_Meadmaker

#5 StoneHuevos

Bird Seed Bird Shot Glande

“My idea behind creating glandes is making something repeatable, cheap and biodegradable.”- Stone Huevos

#6 Albion Slinger/Archiac Arms

Clay Diablo Pellets

“ They fly very straight. The bottom cavity can also be painted inside so you that can see them at all times .” -Albion Slinger

#7 NoOneOfConsequence

Using water to judge spin orientation

“ The spray off the ammo let’s you see the spin orientation and you can compare that with wrist orientation.”- NoOneOfConsequence

#8  Kordwar

Internally Weighted Glande

“ Took a few test throws to get used to the weight and when to release, but it flies very straight and predictably and took eight hard hits into frozen ground before the CA glue failed and popped apart (survived though!). I have some bright orange filament coming this weekend look forward to trying more.”- Kordwar

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Vote for a 2021 Abstract Ammo Winner!
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 7:39am

I'm happy with the turbos.
They were the most completed and the kit now lives in Australia, so could be said to definitely have achieved the target for distance traveled whistle

Apart from the indestructible night ammo, those are in nearly daily usage Smiley

And I've just pocketed the first two dayglo yellow indestructibles.

It's a damn shame I never did more on the distance limited ammo. The parachutes were the main stopping point there, also I'd probably need a resin printer for the cartridges.
Which may well be coming in the new year.
The discs were fun and again fully realised, but just didn't really bring much of any use.

The aerofoils, again were fun - but apart from tricks, didn't live up to promise.

I voted for stone hueos.
Cheap, easily reproduced, bio degradable ammo that is both 100% practical, and culturally, bang on point Smiley
Fantastic and we'll realised idea Thumbs Up

As a Zelda fan, I have to give an honourable mention to Joe's ice arrows Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 7:45am

As with Zuds contribution in the Abstract Sling design StoneHuevos came out of no where with a great idea. Somewhere out there, there's going to be a field with corn and wheat randomly growing in patches and no ones going to have any idea why.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 7:49am

You could also add hemp seed into the mix whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 12:25pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 20th, 2021 at 7:49am:
You could also add hemp seed into the mix whistle

Wont hear me complaining.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:51am

the interesting thing in the voting is that irongoobers was the only entry that didn't actually work lol

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 3:10pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:51am:
the interesting thing in the voting is that irongoobers was the only entry that didn't actually work lol

Depends on your definition of "work". The mechanism functioned as intended, but the 15% infill was a mistake. I tried a 100% infill and it didn't break, but the wires needed to be much larger gauge...so basically it didn't work haha

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 6:58pm

Congrats to IronGoober! The people have spoken. Its an excellent idea all around. IG will be added to our Slinging.Org Winners list for 2021 as the Abstract Ammo Design Winner.

Honestly you all did great excluding me. This may come as a shock but mine was just a dirt clod with a feather in it. Ok, enough talk! Again, Congrats to our winner and well done all!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:22am

Congrats IG!

I can't quite fathom how I lost, but life goes on.  Just joking.  Smiley

This contest had many more entries that it seemed there would be at the beginning.  Lots of interesting ideas.  We've done abstract slings, and abstract ammo.  I can't wait for the abstract slinging styles contest in the next year (hint...hint...).  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2021 at 7:30am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 31st, 2021 at 12:22am:
Congrats IG!

I can't quite fathom how I lost, but life goes on.  Just joking.  Smiley

This contest had many more entries that it seemed there would be at the beginning.  Lots of interesting ideas.  We've done abstract slings, and abstract ammo.  I can't wait for the abstract slinging styles contest in the next year (hint...hint...).  Cheesy

I had played around with abstract targets next but if the people would prefer slinging styles...? I think they both could be fun and interesting.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 2:45pm

Only just got around to catching up. My entry got no votes!? That's fair Cheesy First time I tried it out it flew straight but when I tried it more recently it was tumbling all over. Not sure what changed.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)