Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CONSPIRACY (Read 736 times)
BasedCrusader
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

CONSPIRACY
Dec 18th, 2021 at 12:26am

So, in the bible, when Davids walking up to goliath, goliath says, "am i a dog that you come and face me with a stick?" Do you think david killed goliath with a staff sling?

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Re: CONSPIRACY
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 4:34am

BasedCrusader wrote on Dec 18th, 2021 at 12:26am:
So, in the bible, when Davids walking up to goliath, goliath says, "am i a dog that you come and face me with a stick?" Do you think david killed goliath with a staff sling?

The simple answer is, our opinion is not relevant. We will never ask david personally, so why try ?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 4:59am

Not a chance. There is not a scrap of evidence for the existence of the staff sling until the 4th century AD. There are masses evidence for the sling and nothing equivalent for the staff sling before that time.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 5:47am

If someone is carrying a stick and a sling, perhaps balled up in their hand, you will see the stick first. He's a shepherd so had both. Even if there was evidence if staff slings around that time, why would a shepherd have a staff sling? Thye were mostly used in sieges and naval conflicts because they are a pain to reload on your own and not as portable and fast as a hand sling. I wouldn't take a staff sling into battle unless maybe it was also a spear. The staff sling theory doesn't hold much water in my book.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 6:11am

david took 5 stones, so he intendet to reload too

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 6:42am

Es ist dennoch interessant. Der Stab gehörte zur Ausrüstung eines Hirten. David wird oft mit einem Stab dargestellt. Ob er damit schleudern konnte? Vielleicht

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 7:43am

I think metal wouldve been reserved for warriors. Out in the field a shepherd needed a staff for up close defense to keep predators at bay and a sling for guiding sheep, hunting and long range defense against predators. A staff and sling was a good combo for any shepherd to have and David was Im sure very good with both.

In short, no way.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 11:02am

I will point out that there are medieval artworks of David killing Goliath with a staff sling. This isn’t a new theory. But usually they get other details horrendously wrong as well. Not just anachronistic, just wrong. One of them has David as armored as Goliath is! For the reasons people have listed, it doesn’t make any sense. The staff sling is pretty much a military weapon with spottier historic and geographic use than the sling. The staff and the sling are just tools of the shepherd, and shepherds are pretty symbolically significant.

My guess for why Goliath mentions the stick specifically is because a staff probably is more noticeable upon the approach, and then gets the old switcheroo. Alternatively, Goliath might have felt a sling posed no danger since he was well armored and had a shield.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 4:10pm

Echo DM, Kick, Morphy, Hirtius

I've heard many times that it was more likely that David used a Staff sling. I think that's very unlikely.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2021 at 8:56pm

Etwas ist aber gewiss. Auch in Goliath s Armee  gab es slinger

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 7:20pm

Shepard's carried staffs as well as slings but not necessarily a staff sling lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 8:05am

Again it depends what you read.
The David and Goliath thread went through every single scrap of evidence and various versions of the Bible - exhaustively, over many years.
The smart money had David as a young man and a warrior, who'd been a shepherd in his youth.

Which makes an awful lot more sense than a kid straight from the hills.

Again, depending on which version of ,'the bible'. He could have been carrying a shepherd's staff.

But there is no version where he used a staff sling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2021 at 3:02pm

MikeG wrote on Dec 18th, 2021 at 6:11am:
david took 5 stones, so he intendet to reload too

Perhaps coincidentally, Goliath had 4 brothers.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter whether he used a sling or staff sling, and there’s no way to know if the same phrase in Hebrew applied to both weapons or not…but my personal opinion is that he used a normal sling.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy)