Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hypothetical survival questions (Read 876 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Hypothetical survival questions
Dec 11th, 2021 at 8:37pm

What do you think?

1. Could you kill a whitetail deer with a slingshot? If you say yes name your set up and how you plan to do it.

2. You have a high quality kern mantle climbing rope and a knife or hatchet. You cannot make a sling or bow in this scenario. You have a week before an annual migration of local hooved animals come through. How do you use the items you have to best prepare?

3. Which would be worse, constant cold where fire was not an option or constant biting flies with no way to get away from them?

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hypothetical survival questions
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 3:05am

Geez, these are all pretty painful questions.

1. I’ve never used a slingshot, so no. I assume you’d have to have one hell of a slingshot to do the job. To me, even a sling sounds extremely iffy even if accuracy was perfect. I can’t imagine a conventional slingshot would do much better. Though again, I’m ignorant of it. A slingbow is probably the way to go with that. Since I don’t know how to use that either, I’d surely starve anyway.

2. I’d sulk over not being able to use a sling, and then I’d try to crank out as many atlatl darts and spears (possibly to use with a throwing string) as possible and pray that whatever animals are coming are slow moving. I don’t know flint knapping, so I’d try grinding out points and using wooden points to spam at the prey. Chances are I’ll then die by getting gored or trampled.

3. Both sound utterly dreadful, but I’ll take the flies. Being out in the cold causes skin irritation and pain for me after a while. It pretty much adds up to the same thing, might as well have a nicer climate. Then I’d croak of some insect borne disease.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 8:20am

The first question has always fascinated me. I believe The Slingshot Channel has gotten hand gun levels of energy from sling shots which is where that question stems from.

The second question is open ended. That could go in a lot of different directions.

The third is I grant you miserable. Not really sure the point of it other than curiosity.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 1:08pm

1) not at the moment. With some of joergs toys, .75cal ball bearings and a lot of practice, probably.
Or use an arrow slingshot. Those things look almost as effective as crossbows.

2) try and anticipate the migration path and set snares. Also make some bolas. If you can get close enough I've always said it's the best way to bring down a large herbivore.  You will need to get close up and bloddy with the knife - but if it's them or me. It's going to be them.

3) you evil man. But cold every time. You can - presumably - use the animals you brought down in part 2 to make clothes and exercise will always warm you up. The insects will probably just kill you from blood loss or infection, the cold gives you a greater chance of survival.
As the inuit admirable illustrate.
Plus dying of hypothermia, is - by all accounts - fairly painless, and if one of them's going to kill me, I'll take cold every time.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 2:57pm

1. No.  I could kill a rabbit or a duck with a slingshot.  Possibly I could stun a goose long enough to club it but I think that's a long shot.  No way you kill a deer with a slingshot. 

2.  I would use the rope to make snares.  I would make a blind close enough to my snares to quickly dispatch any large game I caught with a spear and club. 

3.  I think the constant cold with no fire would kill you faster than the flies though both could finish you.  I guess the cold would be a more merciful way to go. 

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 9:47pm

My knowledge of survival and hunting is pretty much minimal, so the following responses are not from any particular expertise.

1. I think it could be possible.  In my impact testing, I broke a deer leg bone through a piece of 1/2 inch plywood.  The throw was with a 172g stone and the calculated speed was around 27 m/s.  One thing to note is the bone was dried out, so likely more fragile.  But 27 m/s isn't all that fast.  If you had a monster slingshot that could handle a stone of 175g or higher, and get it over 30 m/s, I think a headshot could drop a deer.  Or put it down enough that you could run in and finish the job.

I have essentially no hunting experience.  If I was attempting to do this, I would probably try to find a deer trail or maybe a place near a water source.  Then set up a hiding spot or up a tree.  Then wait.  The hard part would obviously be getting close enough for a headshot attempt.  I would probably end up going hungry.

2. I've never used an atlatl, but I might try to make one.  Although I would first make some long spears because that's likely what I would end up using.  I would try to find an area where the terrain and surroundings limited escape routes.  Somewhere that I could set up snares, or possible some kind of net trap made with rope and branches, then attempt to drive animals toward it.  Hopefully something gets caught and I would be able to spear it.

3. I would 100% take the cold.  I can't stand a constant itching sensation.  With all the weeds and brush around my house, I seem to get into poison ivy (or something similar) every year.  Drives me up a wall.  Give me a cut, an ache, a burn, or whatever over an itchy rash any day.  Plus I take cold showers and sling outside in a T-shirt when it's 30° (F).  So bring on the cold.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 10:36am

For hunting you need camouflauge. Sew netting on top of your outer garment then attach foliage to said netting to make a ghillie suit

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2021 at 8:58pm

1. Slingbow… is that cheating to shoot an arrow from the slingshot?  If not, it’s basically the equivalent of a bow, so that’s my setup.
2. Deadfall.  Set up debris traps at a funnel point from above the deer… assuming such terrain exists
3. I’d take cold over insects… unless it’s fatal and insects are not, then I guess I choose insects… you jerk.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2021 at 9:40am

1. Yes in a perfect circumstance. Probably ground blind on thick laneway. Close, like 10m max distance.
Thermaband gold flatbands , tapered, maybe around 50pounds. on a extended draw style slingshot with armbrace lowfork and dropping arrow rest. 500-600grain carbon micro diameter arrow with iron will 2 blade with bleeders. If the slingshot can shoot arrows.
If not
Then I’m less confident but if give it a try with a down facing tree stand , need to be mega close.
Not sure exactly how I’d set it up , definitely less poundage and maybe need a tungsten B.B. to make it more deadly.

2. Fell trees , make shelter, make fire . Try kill some with spears. Maybe even a really average bow and arrow

3. Both scenarios sound like ones where you would die , so I’ll die in the cold

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)