Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
3d printed staff sling heads (Read 3290 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: 3d printed staff sling heads
Reply #45 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:04am

Nice one Joe !

Staff slings are a whole different process.
The best thing about them I find, is that the missile always goes forward. (Or straight up whistle )
Release is controlled by acceleration. And that's all you ever need to change to hit anything.

They are the ideal sling for people who lack any kind of hand eye coordination.
And we've all had 'pupils,' like that.

In many ways, it would make more sense for people to start their slinging journey with staff slings and then move on to hand slings, rather than other way round.

Fascinated to see how you get on with them Thumbs Up

@kordwar
Resin machine coming this week, so I've been cramming all the new stuff over the weekend.
Presumably you printed the heads with the threaded hole facing downwards, so the resin could drain ?
How easy is it to remove the supports ?
Or am I missing something obvious ?

If you punched a hole or two through the model so resin could drain from the top, would that make it easier to post process and reduce resin wastage from the supports.
Or, again am I missing something Smiley
Starting the 3d printing journey over with a completely different technology is kinda cool.
Although I have just realised that I'll need some way of levelling the machine as not one single surface in my workshop is actually level !
Something irrelevant for fdm printers.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #46 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:19am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:04am:
@kordwar
Resin machine coming thus week, so I've been cramming all the new stuff over the weekend.
Presumably you printed the heads with the threaded hole facing downwards, so the resin could drain ?
How easy is it to remove the supports ?
Or am I missing something obvious ?

So, I kinda cheat in that regard. I bought a magnetic flexible build plate so I could print flat without supports and just twist it to pop the print off instead of having to go at it with a scraper. I printed my first heads solid with no infill, which kinda wastes resin but also is nice and solid. I printed it with the threads down, though now with a hole for the retention line it should drain by itself.

The most frustrating part of resin printing is adhesion, if you don't have a solid grip on the plate it will stick to the FEP (the clear plastic bottom of the resin vat)
And you won't really know until it gets high enough to see. At which point you swear, take the failed print off, filter the resin out and gently pry the rest of the failed print from the FEP, refill, reslice and try again.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:39am

Great idea !
I'll look into that.
The voxelab proxima is in fact a flashforge foto 6
So I get the flashdlprint slicer and a much larger user group and presumably, a more extensive upgrade and modding path.

I also reckon, with washable resin I can probably fdm print spare vats from pla as there is no heat issue to worry about.
Was also thinking about maybe using laminating pouches to make a dirt cheap fep replacement.
Not sure what's so special about the fep film, but there should be an easy DIY alternative. Smiley

Transparency of the film and watertightness  of the vat would seem to be the main criteria.
Pretty sure that's not going to be too hard to achieve.
We'll see lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #48 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 8:55am

It's kinda special because it lets like 97% of the UV light through, a pack of them is also pretty cheap (they're considered a wear part), you can even buy rolls of it and just cut them out. It's a tension thing too, they're tight like a banjo head so things can lift off and break the surface tension.

It's a fascinating process, I wish you the best of luck with the printer! If you have questions or anything feel free to reach out and I will do my best to help

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #49 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 9:11am

UV light and solar powered turntable just arrived Smiley

20220110_140953.gif (4828 KB | 18 )
20220110_140953.gif

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)