Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
3d printed staff sling heads (Read 3233 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: 3d printed staff sling heads
Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 1:12pm

Not that long and quiteva short sling.

So the question is:

Long staff with short sling
Short staff with long sling
Or long staff with a long sling.

I feel a new video by Joe is needed whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #31 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 2:55pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 22nd, 2021 at 1:12pm:
I feel a new video by Joe is needed whistle

From me it will unfortunately be a little while. Sad

To this day I've still never used a staff sling.  Two weapons are on my agenda for next year as soon as the weather starts getting warm again.  Staff sling and bolas.  Never used either, and very much want to try both.

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 4:26pm

You were kind enough to send me some leather, I can send you a sling staff head or two

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 8:27pm

Right on!  I'd never say no to that deal.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 10:52am

Also bear in mind how much easier it is to use a staff sling with gloves on Joe Smiley
Snowballs !

Got all my broom handles just before Christmas.
Really nice, all I've checked so far are straight with no large knots. Quite impressed.

Currently working on two different ideas.

One is a standard printed head that takes different inserts.
Figured easy to exchange tips held in with a through bolt, might be an easier way to do it.

Currently using laser cut '3' mm ply.
The problem is that it's not actually 3mm and I didn't measure the exact thickness, before printing the first broom top.
Cut a hoopak tip.
It's nearer 3.5 and will not fit.
Plus arms need to be wider and longer.

The 3d printers are actually a lot more dimensionally accurate the the laser cutter.
That's got the world's cheapest controller board, really suffers in cutting accuracy because of it.
Image engraving is spot on. Soni know the actual mechanics of the machine are fine.
Just the way the board drives the stepper motors for continuous cutting or engraving is pretty iffy.

I do have some 3mm acrylic. But while really stiff, it is extremely brittle and I reckon plywood is probably a better bet for a staff sling. I might try it.

So currently reprinting the broom head with a wider insert socket.
I also need to make the tips a bit bigger.

I might also try a straight printed insert.

Although using inkscape to draw a 2d outline for cutting, is actually much easier and quicker. Than creating a 3d model with openscad.

And it's only just occurred to me that I can take that 2d drawing and extrude it into a 3d model  duh !
Well that will certainly make printing the inserts a lot quicker and easier Smiley

The head hammers on to the broom handle no problem. And I've put 3 screw holes for permanent attachment, although as I have to also use a hammer to remove the head, not sure screws are strictly necessary, and 1 would probably be sufficient.

There's also a through hole for a bolt to hold the insert securely in place.

The other idea would be like kordwars, and an all in one socket and tip.
As I'm currently using polyurethane - mainly because it laughs at hammers.
Not sure if the tips of a hoopack would be stiff enough.

So that needs testing.
Right took some pics, so I'll go sort those Smiley

20220106_155742.gif (4449 KB | 32 )
20220106_155742.gif
1641484405937.jpg (302 KB | 30 )
1641484405937.jpg
20220106_160115.gif (6995 KB | 22 )
20220106_160115.gif

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #35 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 11:28am

Looking good! If you made the hoopak Y sorta hollow you could use a long bolt to reinforce it and epoxy or friction fit a cover on the hex end.

I liked the idea of a dovetail to slide different heads on, just haven't gotten around to taking a shot at it yet.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #36 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 12:29pm

@kordwar: the hole in the one you sent me was just right for an M5 screw.  I took the boat sling you sent, clamped the release cord between two washers and used the finger loop over the hook.  Works great!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #37 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 12:40pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 6th, 2022 at 12:29pm:
@kordwar: the hole in the one you sent me was just right for an M5 screw.  I took the boat sling you sent, clamped the release cord between two washers and used the finger loop over the hook.  Works great!

Awesome! It never occurred to me to try that, the mason line I used should be able to stand up to some abuse.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #38 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:10am

Well the flat slot is only there because I was going to laser cut the different tips.

But now, thinking make it a screw socket and just print screw in attachments.

Basically right back to your original idea, just with a socket that can be made to fit any piece of unthreaded wood.
That way the whole thing can be made stronger and it's a lot easier to change ends.

I'll have a play later, got bloody cold in my workshop again.
We had the warmest new year on record, but back to freezing temps now.

I think I can reuse the script from the light up ammo and just add a full twist to the thread, instead if a quarter turn.
Shouldn't need more than that.

Oh and I have just ordered a voxelab proxima resin printer.
Pretty much the cheapest one around, but YouTube reviews have been trending so the bloody thing has gone up in price by 20 quid in the last 4 days.

If I don't like it, I figure I can wait 2 weeks and sell it for 160 lol.

I also ordered some water washable resin.
Cheap as the alcohol wash stuff, but apparently really low odour and you just rinse under the tap.
Which sounds like a much better idea Smiley
Currently doing some research on exactly what wavelength uv light I need for final curing.
Well I've got a mate who's a top flight industrial chemist doing it for me lol

I did discover that aluminium reflects UV light better than anything else. So a foil lined cardboard box it will be Smiley

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #39 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:33am

The nanometer rating the resin will need should be right on the bottle. I am slowly but surely working up the courage to buy supplies to make silicone molds and start casting heads and/or glandes from urethane resin. I printed a mold on my resin printer and did a test run with hot glue and it worked surprisingly well. One side with a socket for a nut, then flipping it over into a fdm printed holder and setting the nut and molding the other half with it inside. I was going to test them this weekend but it just snowed and they're white -_-

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:51am

The machines run at 405nm and that's what all the resins work with.

But Colin reckons that maybe 365 would give a faster harder final cure.
And if that what Colin reckons, that's what I'll go with.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 6:06pm

The first one is done and I think I'm in love.  I finished it just before dark, so I only got to throw one ice ball.  But that felt freakin' great!

I have the staff done for a second one (thanks to Kordwar for the staff heads Thumbs Up), but still need to make the sling part.  I'll do it tomorrow if I get a chance.

This one is pretty short.  It was made from a little tiny rake.  Most of the tines were broken so it needed to be repurposed anyway.  The staff length is 41.5 in (105 cm).  The sling length is about 27 in (69 cm) to center pouch.  The staff of the second sling will be about 56 in (142 cm).  The plan is to make the sling part the same length for initial experimentation.  I'll post a pic of the second one once it's finished.

ShortStaffSling.jpg (152 KB | 31 )
ShortStaffSling.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #42 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 5:42am

Yes! Another staff sling convert!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #43 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:34pm

I got the longer one done this morning.  Here's a shot of them together.

Unfortunately it's a rainy wet mess today, as usual.  So no chance to try it yet.  I'm making ice balls and hoping the weather give me a nice day soon.

TwoStaffSlings.jpg (157 KB | 33 )
TwoStaffSlings.jpg

IP Logged

Kordwar

Slinging Rocks!

Lancaster, PA
Reply #44 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:42pm

Those look fantastic! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with them!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)