Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
skyrim
Dec 5th, 2021 at 12:55pm

yes I know this is a really 'old' game.
But I've just started playing it on my switchlite.

Very impressed.
easy to use weapons and magic systems, hige world, plenty of atmosphere.
Just my cup of coffee !
And I think it was only about £20 - which for a decent switch game is real cheap.
Got some eshop vouchers fopr my birthday and decided to take a punt on it.
Glad I did.
It was either skyrim or dark souls.

Dark souls looked more like a fancy beat-em-up on rails than a true open world game. 

So, any tips ?

what's the best magic to concentrate on, where's the best armour and weapons, any particularly good quests etc

I think I'm an argonium - big blue lizard man anyway.
mainly beause he can breathe underwater without any magic and I figured if dragons were about hiding underwater might be a good idea.

Plus i've discovered it's really easy to stock up on salmon from rivers for quick health boost, and also makes it really easy to travel by river as well.

It's not quite breath of the wild graphics, but it's pretty good and the sheer scope and freedom of gameplay is exactly what I've been looking for.
Hell even the motion aiming works for the bow.

And apart from BoW - none of the motion aiming in any other game is reliable on the switch lite.
Apparently it only has 2 motion sensors while the full switch has 5.
I think it's just badly implemented. Given how well it works it BoW and Skyrim, it's not entirely down to the machine.

So Elder scrolls V: Skyrimhas been around a while, what tips do you have ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: skyrim
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 7:32pm

Well first off you messed up big time. Wave good bye to the next two years.

Where to even start? First things first, you have to decide how you want to play it. Is it by efficiency or roleplaying and fun. Because if you just want the strongest/best character than there are certain races that are considered better. Orcs for example have a very powerful racial skill which gives them double damage and double defense once per day for 60 seconds. And all it requires is you rest for 24 hours or the equivalent of say 20-30 seconds of in game time to restore. It will save your butt many times. But Orcs are also ugly, horrid creatures so for me I’ve only ever played them once.

I love Argonians for their role play value but their racial bonuses aren’t great. You can get amulets or potions easily that give you water breathing so that bonus is not worth much. And you can do the werewolf quest and never have to turn into a werewolf if you don’t wish to be one and will be forever immune to disease. You can be a vampire or vampire lord and be immune to both disease and poison.

I would advise to always at least do the werewolf quest unless you are specifically role playing a certain storyline as diseases are just annoying.

Also, wear bluetooth headphones if that’s your thing. Seriously, it will up the experience 100%.

Money can be made all sorts of ways. Alchemy is a good way to do it. The more effects and more powerful the effects and more rare ingredients a potion has typically the more they sell for. ESO on youtube has tons of interesting Skyrim guide videos and none of them are boring. You will get sucked in watching them as you play. And it can really help the playing experience.

Good standing stones are the Lord stone, Steed stone (for the carrying weight increase) , atronach stone depending on your play style and a few others. Even if you don’t plan on being a thief consider getting the pickpocket perk that gives you 100 increase carrying capacity. It’s extremely helpful.

You can train at trainers and then get your money back in three different ways.

1, is if they are followers. Just go in their inventory and take the money back like the selfish lizard you are.

2, pickpocket

3, take the pickpocket perk that allows you to put poisons into peoples inventories to attack them and then put a paralyze potion in their inventory. They will collapse and initially you wont be able to pickpocket them. Just keep trying and right as they wake up you will be able to and it will be successful 100% of the time. This is especially helpful once the amount is more than you would be able to otherwise do with normal pickpocketing.

Master stealth is awesome with muffle spell and muffle boots. Master archer and Master stealth is God mode. I love it. Dark brotherhood quest you can get gloves than doubles your assassin strike from I believe 15X damage to 30x damage. You can role play a weak defense character that is pure stealth and offense and virtually no defense. Its incredibly tactical and fun especially on legendary.

In short, this game is awesome and you could play it 100 times over and choose a different style character each time. Have fun.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 6:06am

Skyrim is great, I always ended up playing stealth archer like most people do.

I'd recommend Dark Souls as well though. It's an excellent game, not exactly open world but it's far from on the rails. I'd consider it one of the best games of recent times.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 7:15am

Yeah the headphones I already discovered.
Great soundscape, and really useful for hearing people in the distance to sneak up on.

My playing style, hmm.
Ordinarily I like hitting things.
And tend not to bother with defensive fighting.

I'm only level 3 so far and the sneaking up and shooting people in the head is definitely becoming a thing Smiley

But also a nice mace in one hand and fire or lightning in the other seems to work well so far Smiley

Definitely not efficiency, when I find a good game I like to really explore it all.
Took me the best part of a year to finish botw.
I mean I killed the bad guy long before that, but then went back to finish all the shrines, quests etc.
And never once used a defensive move in combat Smiley

The big lizard bloke just looked kinda different.
So we'll see how he gets on.

It's early days yet.

@kick:. Yeah I remember you going through dark souls a year or two back, sounded pretty good.
Next time it's on offer I'll add it Smiley
Got a 512 GB card in the switch, so lots of room Smiley

So for the moment I'll probably just blunder around and open up as much of the map as I can through rivers. Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 3:10pm

They recently released Diablo 2 with the expansion on the switch as well. One of the greatest games of all time. I played that game for years. So of course when it came out I bought it again with no regrets whatsoever. Talk about replay value. Sheesh....if you havent played that one guys its worth it.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 7:54pm

I tried Diablo 3 for the switch....it was way to easy. A cake-walk even on the hard settings.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2021 at 7:44am

IronGoober wrote on Dec 6th, 2021 at 7:54pm:
I tried Diablo 3 for the switch....it was way to easy. A cake-walk even on the hard settings.

Diablo 3 was made solely for the auction house. They wanted to cut into the online trading websites profits and bring it into Blizzards own game space. As such it wasnt about skill points and builds. It became solely about items.

With the in-game auction house items became extremely common meaning the game became way to easy so it was a constant cycle of making more difficulty levels, then adding more powerful items which then became too easy to get and made the game too easy again. Rinse, wash, repeat. Very bad premise. Really hurt the image of the franchise. D2 is still considered the gold standard in the community.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2021 at 7:46am

I've looked at the diablo videos, and was initially tempted.
Looks like it's party oriented and even in video games, im not a team player.
Just too much faffing about switching between characters.

Plus my little emulation console is now up and running.
Lots, possibly hundreds, of arcade shoot-em-ups I've never played before.

When I finally figured out how to get GBA games full screen, gradius galaxies is every bit as good as I remember Smiley
I was not lol
Hell I was even crap at the original arcade space invaders.

Going through a few of the lynx games that I either reviewed, mapped or wrote 'walkthroughs' of for lynx user magazine, I was truly pitiful !

Those were fun days. 30 odd years ago.

Not sure if it's my reflexes that are shot or just my eyesight. Probably a combination of the 2.
I just don't see the damn bullets that well any more Smiley

Morph you want to pick up one of the cheap handheld emulation systems.
It's clever stuff.
And there's a couple of really good psp RPGs around as well.
100 bucks or do would get something that will run everything up to Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and psp.

There are some stupidly expensive handheld pcs around now and well, that will even emulate the switch.
Although it is a lot cheaper to just buy a switch lol
But they'll also play all the current pc games as well.

But a cheapo handheld emulation system is just as much fun Smiley

Between my pawky box and Skyrim, my gaming time is currently spoken for Smiley

It'll definitely keep me going until botw 2 comes out.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2021 at 8:31am

https://youtu.be/K0hFUdHtQLk
Cracking looking bit of kit Smiley
It will also run a new PS2 emulator.

Or if you've just won the lottery:
https://youtu.be/5pPzwByK2Ck
That will run PS3, switch, xbox1 you name it.

And the fact that both handhelds can be used as TV consoles with wireless controllers, as well is pretty cool.
Particularly the 18s.

The other one, for that price I'd expect it to cook dinner and go fetch takeaways as well as make coffee, dig the garden and do the housework, while simultaneously braiding me a 17 strand Hubert sling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)