My first sling (Read 676 times)
Hallofo
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Pacific Northwet
My first sling
Dec 4th, 2021 at 11:30am

Hi all,

Well, I finally got around to making my first sling. It's an ugly thing made out of 550 cord and disappointment, but it will chuck the heck out of a tennis ball! I did well enough that my 6-year old decided he HAD to have one too, so I made him one as well. I figured out how to taper the release line (I think that's what it's called) so it's not nearly as bulky. He is pleased as can be! However, our poor doggo hasn't had this much exercise since Pokemon GO came out and is getting tired!

Is this the appropriate space to post this? If not, please point me in the right direction.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: My first sling
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 1:07pm

Awesome man! Getting them started early is great.

Do you have a picture of your slings? We all like pictures.

Also, perfect spot to post.

John R.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 2:03pm

That sounds great!

550 cord tapered. I'm having trouble seeing how you did it. Unless you started with a really thick braid or changed the braid strand count.

If you can, I'd love to see pictures.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 7:58am

I'll bet my first slings were uglier than yours.  Functional first, pretty later.  I'd also like to see your sling.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 12:58pm

Hallofo wrote on Dec 4th, 2021 at 11:30am:
It's an ugly thing made out of 550 cord and disappointment, but it will chuck the heck out of a tennis ball!

Then not a disappointment Cheesy My first sling was cheap "paracord" and a large slingshot pouch. It's ugly, I have much better slings now, but it's still around and useable. Fancy pretty slings are great, but if a sling works and can take a beating, it's a good sling.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 1:12pm

My first sling was a piece of shop rag and some baling twine from my brother's sewage treatment plant.  Mmm... ugly, dirty, AND smelly.  But I managed to sling some golf balls recovered from the leaching pond onto the fairway and confuse some golfers.

(Really funny to watch!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)