Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hand Positioning on Balearic Sling (Read 1035 times)
Balearic3
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hand Positioning on Balearic Sling
Nov 26th, 2021 at 5:08pm

I purchased balearic slings from Spain made out of Esparto and Pita. Maybe it's me being new to slinging or it may be something in the way balearic slings are made. When I place the retention loop on either my middle / index finger and then naturally grasp the release cord knot, the pouch is not centred, therefore the projectile is not centred. I have to grasp, almost a fist width down further on the release cord to get the pouch centred . Is this typical for the design of balearic slings? I have added two images to illustrate what I am referring to.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2021 at 12:05am by Rat Man »  

Sling1_003.jpg (169 KB | 30 )
Sling1_003.jpg
SlingL.jpg (154 KB | 26 )
SlingL.jpg

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hand Positioning on Balearic Sling
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2021 at 5:23pm

Balearic slings are usually made for full fist grip, meaning you don't hold it by the knot but you use all of your fingers to hold the cord.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2021 at 5:32pm

Think the second picture, but grasp the cord with your whole hand. (Balearic slings don't use release knots)
The release is more gradual, and I find it more comfortable and controlled when compared to a knot.

The finger-loop will also likely cause chaffing in that position. (unless the loop is lined with leather)
I prefer to have the loop on the middle of my index finger when using my Balearic slings, as it avoids that chaffing.

Here's a picture:

Sling_grip_001.JPG (154 KB | 36 )
Sling_grip_001.JPG

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2021 at 7:34pm

With a cord grip, you should almost be gripping the cord with your ring finger and pinky as much or more than with the thumb and forefinger.  It is very weird to get used to at first, but after a while it becomes a very comfortable grip. I have been switching between it, tabs, and a release knot, and honestly, I think I don't really have a preference anymore, but I like how silent tabs can be.

John R.

IP Logged

Balearic3
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Thank you for the responses. I assumed as much but, being new to slinging didn't want to make any unnecessary presumptions. I will try a variety of loop positions and most likely add a leather cover to the loops. I am certain that I will need this once I progress past proficiency with the balearic sling and tennis balls and move onto actual stones.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2021 at 12:06am

Welcome, B3;
    The first one's on me.  In the future please resize your pictures to fit on the page. 
Thanks.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2021 at 9:56am

Balearic3 wrote on Nov 26th, 2021 at 7:35pm:
Thank you for the responses. I assumed as much but, being new to slinging didn't want to make any unnecessary presumptions. I will try a variety of loop positions and most likely add a leather cover to the loops. I am certain that I will need this once I progress past proficiency with the balearic sling and tennis balls and move onto actual stones.

This is the best attitude to have with slinging. Experimentation is key and yeah, leather covering will really help with long slinging sessions.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)