Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: SITH - 2021
Reply #90 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 9:30am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 28th, 2021 at 9:27am:
Sling from Gaius Marcellus Nerva.

Thanks man! Thumbs Up

Nice looking sling Thumbs Up
so what's the extra bit of cord for on the release cord.

I like the thinner cord for release, makes sense. Only reason I can think of for the extra bit would be to slow it down.
But I can see it being really annoying as well.

So what's it for ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #91 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:15am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 28th, 2021 at 9:27am:
Sling from Gaius Marcellus Nerva.

Thanks man! Thumbs Up

looks like my third sling

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #92 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:19am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 9:30am:
so what's the extra bit of cord for on the release cord.

I'm not certain.  My first thought is that because of the very thin release cord, extra cordage has been left so the receiving slinger can make adjustments if desired (change the knot, convert it to a tab, etc.).

On that note, I am probably going to adjust it.  The release knot isn't quite where I like it to be with the grip I normally use.  But it will be very simple to move it.

Maybe Gaius can chime in if there is another reason for the longer cord.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #93 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:27am

Yes I left a little for adjustment. On the one I have that is just like it I cut it almost all the way off. It’s one of my experimental designs, not the prettiest looking, but it performs well. And the colors don’t match at all…

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #94 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:46am

IcedFlame wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:27am:
It’s one of my experimental designs

i still dont understand why you send an experimental sling design. Make something that works perfectly, instead of an experiment

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #95 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:57am

MikeG wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 11:46am:
i still dont understand why you send an experimental sling design.

To get feedback from another slinger.

Also, "experimental" doesn't mean it's not a fully functional sling, just that the maker might be looking for ways to improve it.  I know I've made very few slings (probably none) that I determined could not be improved in any way.  I think every sling I make is an experiment, at least to some extent.  Whether it's testing a new braid, a new pouch, different cordage, etc.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

MN
Reply #96 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 12:40pm

It’s a fully functional sling and it does work perfect, I really like the design of it and wanted to know what other slingers thought of it. It is only experimental in the way that the entire idea of it is different than any other sling that I’ve ever made and seen.

Also I improved the design a little when I made joe’s compared to the original

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #97 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 1:37pm

IcedFlame wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 12:40pm:
functional sling

I dont have a problem with you, but i hate the words "functional sling/high performance sling". That usually implies, that no work was put into the making of the sling. You clearly put some thought in the sling, but is there really not a better(looking) way to make it ?

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

MN
Reply #98 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 1:53pm

Of course! These are just the only colors I had for this sling, and I wanted it to be as close to the original as possible.

- Sun Tzu

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #99 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 1:55pm

IcedFlame wrote on Dec 30th, 2021 at 1:53pm:
These are just the only colors I had for this sling

and you couldnt buy other colors ?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #100 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 3:12pm

MikeG, u need to chill. It seems that u have an attitude about this, for no reason. U can talk to people in a different tone

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #101 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 4:03pm

I think ive actually seen several slings like this before. Its always good to try new things. I think, in all honesty, Ive yet to make a sling that was entirely optimized. Everything is experimental until you decide its finished and Ive just never quite hit that point yet. Theres always that nagging feeling that something could be just a little better.  Wink  I totally get the mindset Gaius.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

MN
Reply #102 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 4:15pm

The closest place to me that might have similar materials is 45 minutes away from me. I never make special trips to get slinging supplies. Especially to only make one sling. The only thing that I’d even change is have orange microcord instead of black.

- Sun Tzu

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

MN
Reply #103 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 4:17pm

Oh, also here is the original:

- Sun Tzu

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #104 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 5:44pm

Sorry. Aber nichts ist an dieser sling neu. Was ist experimentel daran? Wirklich schön ist auch nichts daran. Funktional? Eine kurze Zeit wird sie funktionieren. Viel arbeit haben sie nicht investiert. Waren es mehr als fünf Minuten? Oder zehn.? Ich Frage für einen Freund Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Sonnenbrillen für morphy. Tongue
Sorry dafür das ich meinem schlechten Ruf gerecht werde. Aber ich sage gerne was ich denke. Es ist auch wirklich nicht boshaft gemeint. Ich weiß auch nicht wieviel Erfahrung sie haben. Ich arbeite mit Kindern und Teenager. Ich sehe was sie leisten können wenn sie es wollen. Ich zeige ihnen gerne Ergebnisse für einen Vergleich .
Wichtig ist jedoch das der Empfänger sich darüber freut. Ist das der Fall ,so sind meine Worte bedeutungslos. Das senile gequatsche eines alten Mannes. Cool Cool

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)