Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Website opening description (Read 65 times)
Hirtius
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Website opening description
Nov 18th, 2021 at 2:05am

The opening description of this website might be a bit much. It makes a lot of claims that are quite off or lacking a lot of context. Likely humanityís first projectile weapon? We donít know that. I donít know where the 250 mph claim came from, or if we should be saying ď the weaponís supremacy as the premier, personal, long-range weapon was not supplanted until the 15th centuryĒ, because thatís kind of silly. Even if you were running with the word ďpersonalĒ, it still wouldnít make sense and is giving people an incorrect perception. I know we donít like peopleís assumptions about the sling, but we shouldnít counter it with exaggerations of our own.

I feel like this front page texts should remove all such claims, and just stick to the basic description of what a sling is. Leave the capabilities of the sling up for exploration, so they donít get disappointed by exaggerated claims up front.

IP Logged

Kick
Slinging.org Moderator

Finland
Re: Website opening description
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 4:36am

Good points. I know Oxnate was supposed to be working on the site but he#s kind of disappeared so...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but itís perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Hirtius
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Website opening description
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 12:55pm

Yeah, I donít know who did the changing. It already had that first section before so it was already an issue, but I think this recent update tasted more of that and took away the other links.

I think this goes along with another issue. Itís great that our website is maintained, but I think we also need to expand it. The links we got rid of were empty links that we needed to fill in. I know little about website work, but if there ever needs to be work on information or academic stuff, I can help out with whatever is needed. If necessary, we might have to try to reach out to people outside the community to get technical help. Iíd gladly pitch in a bit if it costs anything, and I think some others would be willing to do the same.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)