Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingers of the world map (Read 656 times)
Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Slingers of the world map
Nov 17th, 2021 at 11:55am

Many slingers here have complained that they haven’t been able to organize. That might be putting the cart before the horse. We need to know where we all are!

Although I know there are many other things on the website that need to be worked on, I suggest we try to create an interactive maps with points that have the names and/or usernames and contact information on them. That way, we can know who is where.

A secondary idea to this is to have some activity status, either noted by most recent activity on the website or just self declared. That way people can better judge who is actively slinging and would be better to contact.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Slingers of the world map
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 10:16pm

Something like that used to exist.  Basically a map where members could add their location.  That's about all I know about it.  It stopped functioning before I joined the forum.

Other times when this subject came up, the consensus seemed to be that if someone knows a simple way to implement a map, no one is opposed to the idea.  And that's about as far as it went.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 11:41pm

There are editable map features in Google, but I can't tell if it can be made to be edited by anyone or not. One of the moderators should start a Slinging.org account with a map. That would work.

John R.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 12:45am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 17th, 2021 at 10:16pm:
Something like that used to exist.  Basically a map where members could add their location.  That's about all I know about it.  It stopped functioning before I joined the forum.

Other times when this subject came up, the consensus seemed to be that if someone knows a simple way to implement a map, no one is opposed to the idea.  And that's about as far as it went.

Yikes, well that doesn’t bode well for this.

But actually, I’m hoping I can get into a program where I can learn GIS. However, that’s a long way off and I’m not sure if I’d be able to pull it off.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 7:08am

The map may be gone due to the update that erased or otherwise made it impossible to access large parts of the forum. That is one thing I wish we still had though. We had many names/locations on there at one time.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 8:32am

If there was an open, editable "add your location here" type map that wouldn't require any admin maintenance effort, that would be an interesting thing to have around.

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 11:42am

I remember the old map.  That was a while ago.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 7:25am

Like all these things, it required setting up an account.
And people don't like doing that.
These days most of us probably have Google accounts, so might be more willingness.

As far as member activity goes.
You can either just click on a members name and get all sorts of activity information.
Or just click on the members option at the top of the page.
And list by post numbers.

That said, I need to logout and check that the members button isn't just something the mods see.

It's been some years since I looked at member Maps, so I'll see if it's got any easier to implement.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)