Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Virtual slinging competition (Read 4363 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Virtual slinging competition
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 11:49am

so do you warm up before?
some of you could get 5 dianas with a good warm up

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 1:50pm

There are no rules on a warm up.  The important aspect is to decide when you're recording your official entry for the contest, and then only use that.  Anyone can record round after round, and then take the best one.  That's what we're trying to avoid.

For me personally, I've been doing one short warm up.  I'll go out and throw about a dozen balls.  Then wait about 5 - 10 minutes.  And then record my entry.  There have been a couple entries that were done with no warmup at all.  I haven't been brave enough to do that yet.  Cheesy

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 3:52pm

My round with no warm up was terrible! Smiley I like a bit of a warm up, but I think Joe's method is probably the most like what you'd get in a competition. If I recall correctly, according to Kick, sometimes he'd wait ~30 minutes or after warming up before it would be his turn to sling.

So, whatever you want to do should be fine. Honestly, it's not like there is much on the line, so even if someone does warm up a lot and does really well, the rest of us are just going to be happy that they did well! I know I'm pumped whenever anyone gets a diana!

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 4:04am

I have mostly been going in cold for my rounds just because, like IG said, at the International it can be a long time standing around not slinging before you get your go. Honestly though, it's not that important. Picking and choosing which rounds is against the spirit of the competition, but a warm up is fair enough in my book. I might try and do more warm ups for my next entries, but that's mostly because I really do need to warm up as it's (quite literally) freezing over here Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 8:47am

I’ve been doing mine mostly cold as well. I may have a few throws prior to ready my muscles but not rounds of recorded throws to cherry pick.  Last week I actually had some rounds before so I thought I’d make it more fair by shooting 5 different styles in each round. It lowered my average but it was still an ok score. I think the timestamp makes it good. If it’s on the hour you know it’s a pretty unique round and even if you’re warm it’s still making it count when you need it to.. continuously filming all 10 throws also reduces cherrypicking .

Basically if your cherry picking in this comp you either really love to cheat or you are good enough to compete anyway. And the fact that it’s week to week shows who’s getting better scores overall. So another factor against “cheating”

I think it’s bern pretty honest so far

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 8:30pm

Might come out of retirement for a round soon. Looks fun!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #21 - Nov 24th, 2021 at 10:47pm

Dan wrote on Nov 24th, 2021 at 8:30pm:

About time! We'd love to have you!

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 9:36am

IronGoober wrote on Nov 24th, 2021 at 10:47pm:

About time! We'd love to have you!

+1

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #23 - Nov 25th, 2021 at 9:39am

Fantastic! The more the merrier!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SAK_Survival
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Oakland County, MI, USA, EARTH
Reply #24 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 12:52am

Could you guys show your slings that you use for the competitions or in this post?  Im new to slinging and Id love to see what you guys are using for each event.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 4:36am

I've mostly been using the Finnish flag Smiley sling I got from Channing. Really love using it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 9:54am

Nice man  Wink

Kick, your sling has a vaguely mocking, menacing look to it.

It sent me a PM saying "naama kuin petolinnun perse". I dont know what it means but I dont think it was complimentary.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 10:03am

I first started with a paracord and leather pouch sling.  But I've switched over to this one for the last couple contests because it's better with lighter weight projectiles.  It's made of hemp and linen.

Sling-HempLinen.jpg (196 KB | 61 )
Sling-HempLinen.jpg

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 11:22am

Channing sent me a Slimmer Sling as a 1st place prize for one of the early virtual competition rounds.  See it in action here:

https://youtu.be/1bqtkiYX8ik

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #29 - Dec 7th, 2021 at 7:00am

Morphy wrote on Nov 28th, 2021 at 9:54am:
It sent me a PM saying "naama kuin petolinnun perse". I dont know what it means but I dont think it was complimentary.

How did I not see this earlier? Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)