Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Slinging with a shield (Read 2893 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Slinging with a shield
Nov 12th, 2021 at 5:49pm

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slinging with a shield
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 6:23pm

Youve got all the best toys lol. Great video man!  Cheesy

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 6:45pm

Wet Tennis ball = dead  Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 6:54pm

YEAH!!!!  A sling and shield video!  Cheesy

Did you get that shield to do that, or was it just something you had laying around the house?

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:41am

YES!!   Now I need a full auto, belt-fed, shield-mounted sling.   Where's Jorg Sprave when I need him?

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 2:10pm

Honestly NOOC, I don’t think it’s as awkward as you think. I don’t think any swinging motions would leave the body completely defended all of the time. That’s probably how it’s supposed to work. Your handling looks a bit awkward, but you might just need a slinging shoulder bag like Jaegoor.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 2:11pm

I don't think you looked all that awkward.  You seemed to almost have it down pat.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 5:58pm

I wonder if that is why bucklers were often depicted. Because they aren't attached at the elbow, even when you turn you shoulders you can keep the shield in front of you.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 8:57pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 12th, 2021 at 6:54pm:
YEAH!!!!  A sling and shield video!  Cheesy

Did you get that shield to do that, or was it just something you had laying around the house?

I’ve had that thing lying around for a few years… long story.  It was bought for a very specific purpose, but that purpose never panned out, so I finally dusted it off and tried slinging with it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:10pm

IronGoober wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 5:58pm:
I wonder if that is why bucklers were often depicted. Because they aren't attached at the elbow, even when you turn you shoulders you can keep the shield in front of you.

That's a good point IG.  Along with bucklers, any center grip shield would work.  A lot of Viking shields were center grip.

I went back and looked at the shield video I did when I was using the pitchback net.  The look is very similar.  As my shoulder rotate through the throwing motion, the shield moves to the side.  It's then brought back in front after the throw.

I think this is unavoidable with a shield that straps to the forearm.  The only way to prevent the momentary vulnerability would be to not rotate your upper body.  But that would obviously decrease the power of the throw by a large percentage.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:26pm

Hirtius wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 2:10pm:
Honestly NOOC, I don’t think it’s as awkward as you think. I don’t think any swinging motions would leave the body completely defended all of the time. That’s probably how it’s supposed to work. Your handling looks a bit awkward, but you might just need a slinging shoulder bag like Jaegoor.

I’m pretty comfortable with the slinging form part, but it still felt pretty awkward… My rate of fire was maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th as fast, accuracy was worse than normal, and reloads were really bad. Obviously an ammo bag would help, but the biggest thing is that I need more practice. I definitely think I could do better.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:49pm

IronGoober wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 5:58pm:

Having used a sling and shield one time… I’m obviously not an expert, but I definitely can see why a buckler might be preferred for freedom of movement and mobility. I wonder though if maybe the buckler is more useful for hand-to-hand combat than ranged defense, since slingers pictured with a buckler usually also have a sword.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 2:25am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:49pm:
I wonder though if maybe the buckler is more useful for hand-to-hand combat than ranged defense, since slingers pictured with a buckler usually also have a sword.

Well, to be a bit flippant, if I were in a battle, I'd want at least a stick with me in addition to the sling, especially if I wasn't well shod and/or in great shape for running. 

But it does make you wonder how a buckler and short sword could be effective, especially if the sling could out range bows. Shouldn't they be out of range? (perhaps not from other slingers?) I would think the buckler/sword would really just be insurance for if the battle didn't go as planned and they needed to defend themselves, or possibly if more bodies were needed for a route of the other forces.  But I know next to nothing about ancient battles so I probably shouldn't be spouting my unsubstantiated thoughts, and yet, here we are.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 5:08am

Shields without an arm brace, like a Saxon shield or Roman scutum, allows you to hold the shield out in from of you and cover more of your body from projectiles. I think that would also act like a buffer to help against high energy impacts, i.e big stones.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 9:58am

I have a buckler which I've been meaning to do a video with. One problem is that it's all steel and is HEAVY. Note I wrote HEAVY not heavy. Holding it out in my left hand for any length of time is not easy. It's a combination of me being weak and it being a not very historically accurate shield. I think most bucklers would have been far lighter. I have done some test "shots" with an empty sling and, as far as I can tell comparing it to Nooc's video, it's far easier to rotate my body and keep the shield in place. The centre-grip is the main reason it's easier, but the riot shield being far taller, wider and generally more bulky looks like it makes slinging more awkward. I'll try and get a video this week slinging with my shield.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick)