IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: New Ranking System
Reply #60 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 12:13pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 2nd, 2021 at 8:52am:
How do we verify if someone has actually done it?

It was suggested that video proof is one way. I like this idea.

We could have a sticky thread with a link to everyone's best entries.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #61 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 3:44pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 2nd, 2021 at 8:52am:
How do we verify if someone has actually done it? Honor system would be great but we know eventually if this does catch on theres going to be big issues with that. The first time someone claims a very high level without proof (especially if they are an unknown or known to not be at that level in real world slinging)  its going to fracture the group taking part and make them take the system less seriously over all. Theres nothing worse than struggling for something for months or years legitimately only to watch someone cheat their way to it out of no where.

As IronGoober touched on, I think the way around this is with uncut video of the 10 shot sequence, and then some proof of the distance. (like filming the measuring)
If we want it to be sophisticated, we could have a small panel to review submissions and add them to an official list.
Then through them, the contestants can purchase a patch or shirt with it on  Grin
Let's see if the notion gets any traction first...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #62 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 7:27pm

My bad guys must have missed that.  Wink

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #63 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 9:16pm

Good stuff Mersa.  I might not get a good run at this until next year.  We've reach December, and now it just seems to be lousy weather every day.  It was snowing, then it turned to rain, and today the wind was just blowing like crazy.  I'm hoping tomorrow will be good enough for me to get out and record an entry for the virtual competition.  If it's as bad as it's been, I might miss this week.

Question on the ranking system, for no one in particular.  Does anyone think that 10 out of 10 at a distance of 50m is a realistically achievable goal?  I certainly know it isn't for me.  And that's fine.  I'm very much not the best slinger in the world, and never will be.  But I'm also not sure if it is even for the best slingers.  I've seen videos of truly amazing slingers at the tournaments, and I haven't seen anyone hit 5 dianas at 20m (or rather I don't recall seeing it).  Not meaning to say it never happened, just that it's certainly in the 'rare occurrence' category.

Just curious if there's an "I think I could do it" or "I think ~insert name~ could do it" out there.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #64 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 3:48am

I don’t believe there’s a single slinger that shows any type of video footage out there that could walk outside and do it with the first 10 shots.
I do think it’s possible but it’s one of those shots or may I say lots of shots that in reality needs a lot of  practice at that distance and consistent ammo and form.
To have someone who can truely hit 100% at that distance like every single time ever attempted is probably unrealistic but someone close to could be possible but I don’t think it’s any of us. I feel a slinger like that would be a true slinger and only a slinger.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 10:24am

At my best, long long ago I couldve given you a 5/5 at 35 meters on a very good run. Thats a long, long ways from 10/10 at 50. I can say for sure Ive never been close to that good.

10/10 at 50 meters would be extraordinary.  To answer your question Joe...I have no earthly idea if its possible. What I do know though is that virtually every sport thats been around for over say 100 years going from what Ill call the traditional era to the modern, scientific era shows massive gains in virtually every aspect of that sport. And this is often times mostly a matter of better form and training.

So personally I dont mind having a very high goal. I think even a 5/5 at 50 would be sufficient personally but whatever the consensus is I would be fine with.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #66 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 6:16pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 2nd, 2021 at 9:16pm:
Just curious if there's an "I think I could do it" or "I think ~insert name~ could do it" out there.

I used to do a lot of 50m practice at my old place, and when I was at my very best, I was getting them with a few feet of the olive oil tin quite consistently with the 18" sling. I've improved significantly since then, so maybe one day with the perfect sling, projectiles, and cherry-picking the sequence...
I have faith. (bold as it may seem)

No doubt the children Jaegoor is training will make us all look talentless when they grow up...  Grin

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #67 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 7:44pm

5/5 at all distances is a perfect round and could be a better approach then your levels are just distance

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #68 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 11:20am

Now that weve fleshed out a pretty solid system maybe we should take a vote? The more I think about it the more I like the 5/5 on all distances. Ive always felt the best way to make something the communities is to have the community accept it as a whole. As such it would seem a vote may be beneficial. Let me know what you all think.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #69 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 12:47pm

have you thought 2 dimensional ranking ?
league (or level) is the distance
class is the hits/10
so league 40 class 1 means 40m 1/10

you could also add a 3rd dimension to include target sizes
e.g. league 100, class 10, elephant Roll Eyes
100m
10/10
elephant sized target

I don't see the reason for ranking other than the challenge
have fun!

Untitledsjjs.png (10 KB | 21 )
Untitledsjjs.png
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #70 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 12:59pm

That's good thought Sarosh.  A similar idea came up previously.  There was a thought about having multiple tracks.  But you definitely have the idea more fleshed out.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #71 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 4:07pm

Ok, so combining several of the ideas put forward...

*=1/5 HITS (with cherry picking, one star is not meaningful)
**=2/5 HITS
***=3/5 HITS
****=4/5 HITS
*****=5/5 HITS

League I = 10m
League II = 20m
League III = 30m
League IV = 40m
League V = 50m
Etc.

Then put them together to form the rank.
For example, 3/5 hits at 60m would be League VI ***
In order to advance to the next league, you have to get the full five stars in your current league first. (This makes high leagues with a small number of stars at least as impressive as the former league with 5 stars)
By adding an extra dimension, everybody should still be able to achieve something. Just improving enough to get an extra hit out of 5, will reward you with another star on your rank.

Other rules like ammo size would also carry over.

Thoughts?

(Thanks for input everyone!)

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #72 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 7:24pm

I actually like the idea a lot.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #73 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 6:54am

Archaic Arms wrote on Dec 4th, 2021 at 4:07pm:
Ok, so combining several of the ideas put forward...

*=1/5 HITS (with cherry picking, one star is not meaningful)
**=2/5 HITS
***=3/5 HITS
****=4/5 HITS
*****=5/5 HITS

League I = 10m
League II = 20m
League III = 30m
League IV = 40m
League V = 50m
Etc.

Then put them together to form the rank.
For example, 3/5 hits at 60m would be League VI ***
In order to advance to the next league, you have to get the full five stars in your current league first. (This makes high leagues with a small number of stars at least as impressive as the former league with 5 stars)
By adding an extra dimension, everybody should still be able to achieve something. Just improving enough to get an extra hit out of 5, will reward you with another star on your rank.

Other rules like ammo size would also carry over.

Thoughts?

(Thanks for input everyone!)

Voting aside I think thats a winner.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #74 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 11:35am

Hitting a 50cm target at 50metres is tough.

I've done it, but I'd say that out of 100 shots I doubt I got more than 1 or 2 headshots in.

You'd have to check my stats in the book.
Hmm, can't find it on amazon anymore - annoying.
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1468418037/5#5

I'll have to find my copy.

I suppose the league number works as a multiplier for the star system.

I like it Smiley

Althugh I think you should use 10 shots.
once you get beyond 30 metres, the chances of getting 5 hits in 5 shots is pretty unlikely.

5 hits from 10 shots, is unlikely, but more possible.

And anyone who can get 5 hits at 50 metres out of ten shots - should just get a free t-shirt and plaque.
That's tough.

I have target slung out to 70 metres quite succesfully with a pretty flat trajectory.
But beyond that, I just can't see where the missile is going and at that point you lose the ability to adjust between shots.

If you can see where your missile is going, you can hit a target. If you can't see where the missile lands - and your spotter is rubbish whistle - then it's just blind luck if you hit anything.

The ultimate difficulty is to throw hard and accurate at distance.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)