IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: New Ranking System
Reply #46 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 10:07pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 17th, 2021 at 2:44am:
you are talking about distances of 10m.  that's not even children's distance.

That was only a suggestion to make the system more inclusive to beginners or folks that don't do much target slinging.  I don't see anything wrong with someone practicing at 10m when they're just getting started.  And if that's not part of the target audience, then it doesn't need to be included.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 1:20am

Von mir aus üben sie auf einen Meter . Oder fünf. Wenn ich es richtig verstehe, geht es um ein internationales System. Wenn sie noch nicht slingen können, dann müssen sie üben. Das ist ja wohl auch der Sinn hinter einem solchen System.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #48 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 4:55am

I think there is a slight difference in ideas. At least how I've understood it, there is a difference between ranking anyone that picks up a sling and then ranking "slingers", people that are actually wanting to progress and achieve certain feats. Morphy and Joe's idea of ranking system isn't really about what people should strive for and more a measurement of where someone is. Jaegoor's is more about reaching the next level, of improvement. I think both measurements work, but there might be a subtle difference in the aim of each.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #49 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 9:33am

I definitely understand your point Jaegoor.  But your description is right on the money, Kick.  I think we're talking about two different methodologies.

At the beginning of this topic there was an idea of someone getting a star for achieving a particular hit.  That made me think this was more of ladder of accomplishments rather than a dynamic ranking system.  That mindset just stuck with me.

As stated, I think either method can be used.  It's just about what's desired.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #50 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 10:23am

Yeah just to be clear I have no problem with this system or any other. I actually think its quite a good idea.I think we can all learn from each other. There is no ulterior motive behind me mentioning the ADI except that perhaps it could be used in this situation to help understand where each rank should fall skill wise.

I really dont think this is an either/or scenario because the purposes behind the two dont entirely overlap. Well said Kick reading your post got me thinking perhaps my comments may have come off the wrong way.

ADI is first and foremost to judge the difficulty of a shot or a set of shots where distances and targets are different. With the number you get you can see how you are progressing regardless if one day you were slinging at soda cans or the next a Balearic target.

But those numbers have to be applied to something. Who decides how good Master rank is? Thats up to the ranking system not ADI. These are two different things that can work in tandem with each other.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #51 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 5:42pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 16th, 2021 at 10:51pm:
Ha!  Albion Slinger, I didn't even realize this was you.  I just saw your YouTube channel change.  I moved over to the new one.  Looking forward to see what you do with it.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it really...
I suppose I just hoped that people would realise it's me because I kept the same profile picture.

Thanks Joe!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #52 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 7:25pm

It's all good man.  I think this forum occasionally has the member who doesn't post regularly, or who has been away for a while, and one day just jumps right back into the mix.  So if there's a username that isn't recognized, everyone just takes it in stride.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hallofo
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Pacific Northwet
Reply #53 - Nov 28th, 2021 at 1:37pm

Hi all,

New-to-slinging person here. I just wanted to chime in and express my support of this scoring/ranking system. As I begin my journey, I look forward to seeing how I improve and develop!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #54 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 6:04am

Slightly more refined version of the one from the 'Max Accuracy' thread.

Target: 50cm round 'Diana'

League I            2/10 HITS, at 5M
League II          2/10 HITS, at 10M
League III         3/10 HITS, at 15M
League IV         4/10 HITS, at 20M
League V           5/10 HITS, at 25M
League VI         6/10 HITS, at 30M
League VII        7/10 HITS, at 35M
League VIII       8/10 HITS, at 40M
League IX         9/10 HITS, at 45M
League X         10/10 HITS, at 50M

If League X is achieved, then further leagues are possible...

League XI       10/10 HITS, at 60M
League XII      10/10 HITS, at 70M
League XIII     10/10 HITS, at 80M

- Ammo: Tennis ball size and under
- Must be uncut/unedited video + some proof of distance
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2021 at 7:48am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #55 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 6:39am

Couple thoughts...

Theres been some concerns that its already so difficult to bring people in to competition. What about allowing tennis balls as a viable option for the first 5 levels? This would make it much easier for some to take part. Especially those stuck in urban areas.

Also, instead of going above 50 meters how about using smaller targets for above level 10? It could be as simple as a cut piece of cardboard, leather or rubber. 50 is a good distance for judging spin control but when you go much further it puts too much emphasis on power with accuracy which a target ranking system isnt really testing. I think it would definitely be a detriment towards women or really even anyone who doesnt practice at longer ranges.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #56 - Dec 1st, 2021 at 7:48am

Morphy wrote on Dec 1st, 2021 at 6:39am:
Couple thoughts...

Theres been some concerns that its already so difficult to bring people in to competition. What about allowing tennis balls as a viable option for the first 5 levels? This would make it much easier for some to take part. Especially those stuck in urban areas.

Also, instead of going above 50 meters how about using smaller targets for above level 10? It could be as simple as a cut piece of cardboard, leather or rubber. 50 is a good distance for judging spin control but when you go much further it puts too much emphasis on power with accuracy which a target ranking system isn't really testing. I think it would definitely be a detriment towards women or really even anyone who doesn't practice at longer ranges.

Thanks for the input. Yes you are probably right regarding the ammo, and it shouldn't be a problem anyway. (Adjusted the proposal accordingly)
Also changed level to league... It sounds a bit better to my ears, but let me know what you think.
Regarding the leagues above 10, I personally think it's more important to stretch the range, as both accuracy and power are important aspects of slinging. If it was a test purely for accuracy, the distance would stay the same, but you would have a target with concentric rings for scoring (like in archery).
Also, if your good enough to get past League X, you've probably dedicated your life to slinging (+ far and away the best in the world), and won't be bothered by the 'inconvenience' of finding a place that you can sling 10 or 20m further.
Just my tuppence.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #57 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 5:13am

Gave this a go today.
I only used tennis balls and was able to do first 3 levels/leagues in succession. I failed on my first attempt of level 4 with 3/10. Later in my practice I got it but 25m I wasn’t having any luck.

I like it as a training tool was nice pacing out distances.

Definitely going to be favoured to heavier rocks at distance. Ammo choice is key for this.

Obviously cherry picking a perfect day is also part of it.

I do like the succession approach. Makes for a fun game .  Could be played with others .
But again it just becomes a baleric target session at 20-30m.

Like a lot of slinging games or trickshots the ease of the setup and location play a big role in my enjoyment. If I had a good range with lots of decent ammo I’d be more inclined to try it but for now I’m pretty happy with what I did and it fell around where I thought I would. 

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #58 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 6:18am

Mersa wrote on Dec 2nd, 2021 at 5:13am:
Gave this a go today.
I only used tennis balls and was able to do first 3 levels/leagues in succession. I failed on my first attempt of level 4 with 3/10. Later in my practice I got it but 25m I wasn’t having any luck.

I like it as a training tool was nice pacing out distances.

Definitely going to be favoured to heavier rocks at distance. Ammo choice is key for this.

Obviously cherry picking a perfect day is also part of it.

I do like the succession approach. Makes for a fun game .  Could be played with others .
But again it just becomes a balaric target session at 20-30m.

Like a lot of slinging games or trickshots the ease of the setup and location play a big role in my enjoyment. If I had a good range with lots of decent ammo I’d be more inclined to try it but for now I’m pretty happy with what I did and it fell around where I thought I would. 

Great to hear you gave it a go!
The reason I actually like the cherry-picking aspect is that it shows one's skill at peak of performance. It's also the only realistic way someone could achieve something like League X. 
I share your sentiment exactly with ease of setup and location. Cutting out the Balearic quatro and making the diana the target was a part of this. Unless you have a large wall, or you've made a Balearic target, it's not easy. (both of which aren't very portable)

I'm very glad you gave it a try and had some fun with it, tennisballs have limited range, so it's good, considering! 

Cheers for the feedback!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #59 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 8:52am

Awesome Mersa! I have no doubt you could get to Level 5 at least on a good day already. Shoot maybe level 6. Thats only 60%.

Been waiting for my elbow to heal for awhile now. Making big gains recently so cant chance it but as soon as its safe Ill give this and the virtual comp a shot.

So AA now comes a difficult question I think...

How do we verify if someone has actually done it? Honor system would be great but we know eventually if this does catch on theres going to be big issues with that. The first time someone claims a very high level without proof (especially if they are an unknown or known to not be at that level in real world slinging)  its going to fracture the group taking part and make them take the system less seriously over all. Theres nothing worse than struggling for something for months or years legitimately only to watch someone cheat their way to it out of no where.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini)