Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
New Ranking System (Read 10560 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: New Ranking System
Reply #30 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 10:00pm

The target in my backyard has a 30cm bullseye, so that’s convenient for me, but if you go with 30,You’re at the same order of magnitude as a Diana… why not just use the standard 50cm target?  It’s still difficult as the distance increases, but that keeps part of the new ranking system consistent with other slinging standards.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 1:20am

I'm ok with any size of target, but I still like the coin the most.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 6:24am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 10:00pm:
The target in my backyard has a 30cm bullseye, so that’s convenient for me, but if you go with 30,You’re at the same order of magnitude as a Diana… why not just use the standard 50cm target?  It’s still difficult as the distance increases, but that keeps part of the new ranking system consistent with other slinging standards.

Surface area of 50cm diana is 1963.5cm, and surface area of 30cm is 706.9cm (2.8x smaller)
I would consider that significantly smaller, but perhaps you are right that it would be better to conform to other slinging standards, despite the target being more awkward to haul about. I'll make a poll.

If we do decide that it's best, then we will have to make the  scoring more difficult as well. In essence, the ranking system would be a 'diana' only Balearic competition but with ranks designated with certain scores (at each distance increment)  Is this a popular notion?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 6:28am

Next poll: Targets

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #34 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 7:04pm

I’d like to add that ammo size should always be restricted to a tennis ball diameter max.
Making ammo bigger than that isn’t overly practical in any real life slinging situation and it makes it a clear understandable size. Hitting a can with a tennis ball is easier than a small stone.  At least theoretically.

Standard baleric target should be used .
Some form of multiple shots system.

Basically Morphy’s ADI system but with a standardised target size and max ammo diameter

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #35 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 12:05am

Personally I really like the ADI system. It allows you to do a fair comparison between slingers even if the targets and distances are different.  ADI has limitations though. 
If we did something like ADI but with fixed distances and a limited range of target sizes, that would be a nice start to a ranking system.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #36 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 6:00am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 12:05am:
Personally I really like the ADI system. It allows you to do a fair comparison between slingers even if the targets and distances are different.  ADI has limitations though. 
If we did something like ADI but with fixed distances and a limited range of target sizes, that would be a nice start to a ranking system.

I've just gone and refreshed my memory with Morphy's work, and I'm a fool for not remembering/realising the groundwork has already been done. I really like what he's come up with.
All that's really needed is a standard target and distance. My target preference would be the Balearic 'diana' without the backboard (due to it's very awkward size). In my opinion the distance should also be greater than what they do in standard Balearic competitions, as higher velocity is then rewarded by a flatter trajectory (and thus greater hit-probability). My favourite distance is 50m, but that may be awkward for some people...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 6:14am

While Ive always been against restricting ammo I have to agree there would have to be some type of upper limit. The advantage of large ammo is too substantial to ignore.

Perhaps for official rankings we all agree to use the Balearic target since that is for better or for worse the accepted standard and then keep the option for informal comps to use what you have on hand. The score will still be valid across formal and informal regardless due to it being a ratio so you can still compare scores and have them be a valid reflection of skill although they wont count as "official" ranking unless its on the Balearic target? One good thing about this is it works for any distance. You are not limited to comparing scores from only 10, 20 or 30 meters. You will know by a simple number how good youre doing at any distance.

The question ive had for awhile now is what numbers would signify what ranking? That was the purpose of the Max Accuracy thread...to get enough scores to where the community could set a hard and fast number as "Master" "Journeyman" "Novice" etc.

If anyone has ideas by all means throw them out there as this is a group decision.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 8:27am

Mersa wrote on Nov 14th, 2021 at 7:04pm:
I’d like to add that ammo size should always be restricted to a tennis ball diameter max.
Making ammo bigger than that isn’t overly practical in any real life slinging situation and it makes it a clear understandable size. Hitting a can with a tennis ball is easier than a small stone.  At least theoretically.

Standard baleric target should be used .
Some form of multiple shots system.

Basically Morphy’s ADI system but with a standardised target size and max ammo diameter 

Glad to see you chime in! I agree with all of that.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #39 - Nov 16th, 2021 at 10:51pm

Ha!  Albion Slinger, I didn't even realize this was you.  I just saw your YouTube channel change.  I moved over to the new one.  Looking forward to see what you do with it.

But on topic, I also like the idea of an upper limit on projectile size.  I think tennis ball works well.  They're very readily used, and easy to stay under the size if someone prefers to use stones or something else.

On distances, I don't think there's any reason to start with long distances.  Especially if a 2 out of 10 hit ratio is still the goal.  I think starting at 10 meters is fine.  If it's easier for someone to "get their name on the board", it might encourage participation from beginners or slingers that aren't as accurate when it comes to target slinging.  And slingers who are more accurate can just climb the ranks faster.

Overall I like the diana as a target.  2 hits out of 10 to mark the distance as complete.  And 10 meter increments, starting at 10 meters.

There could then also be multiple tracks to advance.  Increasing distance could be one.  But some people may not have a place where they can throw at 50 meters.  A second track of advancement could be more target hits within 10 tries at shorter distances.  The ADI could be used to determine where the two tracks lined up with each other.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 2:44am

I have to laugh a little.  I am considered a hardliner in this forum.  i was told i am asking too many rules.  now do just that to her. it's a little funny.  I have presented a ranking system here several times.  with a lot of explanation.  it works great.  so far nobody has tried it here.  or try a slinger run.  this also makes your ability visible.  you are talking about distances of 10m.  that's not even children's distance.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 7:41am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 16th, 2021 at 10:51pm:
Ha!  Albion Slinger, I didn't even realize this was you.  I just saw your YouTube channel change.  I moved over to the new one.  Looking forward to see what you do with it.

I had no idea either.  I was wondering what happened to you AS/AA. Glad you are still here.

I like the multiple tracks idea Joe. I also like 50 meters but if the idea is to get people using a ranking system there must be some compromise on distance I would think. As you said ADI should be able to easily judge the relative difficulty. I imagine with a little work we could even have a score modifier that would adjust ADI for distances above 25 to average everything out.

Jaegoor, you have had a system in place for awhile that works well. Please feel free to add your thoughts if you desire. I would like to see how your system compares. We all can learn from each other I would think.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 8:13am

Ich habe es hier bereits öfter vorgestellt. Bei diesem System schießen sie auf eine Diane. Aus unterschiedlichen Distanzen. Wie im Kampfsport gibt es Farben . Aber keine Gürtel sondern T-Shirts. Es gibt gelb rot braun und schwarz

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #43 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 12:52pm

Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes typing it in...

Computer translated:

Rule introduction for slingshots is approaching the provisions of living history
Distances and school grades for spinning

Examination process
An exam can only be taken for one day. There must be at least two witnesses who do not take part in the test: a line judge (red flag invalid throws, white valid throws), a point judge (Ariane)
Scoring on the Ariane
Distance - white - black
10 - 1 - 2
20 - 1 - 2
30 - 2 - 4
40 - 2 - 4
60 - 3 - 5

Table of values ​​for a pass (20 throws are a pass):
Distance - minimum value - maximum value
10 - 10 - 20
20 - 10 - 20
30 - 40 - 80
40 - 40 - 80
60 - 60 - 100

Table of values ​​run (5 shots are one run):
Distance - Minimum value - Maximum value
10 - 5 - 10
20 - 5 - 10
30 - 10 - 20
40 - 10 - 20
60 - 15 - 25

School grades:

Yellow:
Ball weight 150g, 1 pass, 20m 8 points

Red:
Ball weight 200g, 2 pass, 20m 10 points + 30m 20 points

Brown:
Stone 200-250g, 2 pass, 40m 28 points + 60m 36 points, 1 round, 5 throw at distance = 400m

Black:
Stone 200-250g, 2 pass, 40m 30 points + 60m 40 points, 1 round, 5 throw at distance = 500m

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Nov 17th, 2021 at 1:05pm

Gracias. Die Ballgewichte sind variable

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)