« Created by: Archaic Arms on: Nov 14th, 2021 at 6:28am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
New Ranking System (Read 10487 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: New Ranking System
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:21am

2 shots in a row @ 50m can the avg archer even do that?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:55am

Archaic Arms wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 7:10am:
So I've done some thinking and I recon a target that's 1ft round would be a good balance of both worlds.

That's a far easier target to make and set up. I like it. I have a pan (another one) that's 24cm diameter so actually a little small, but still close enough and better too small than too big Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 11:12am

a coin can hardly be seen at twenty meters.  at thirty meters they can no longer see a coin.  shoot them at Kubb.  Woods.  these games are standardized

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 1:43pm

Sarosh wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:21am:
2 shots in a row @ 50m can the avg archer even do that?

Sorry for confusion, I should have been clearer. I didn't mean to suggest two hits in a row, but instead two hits that are within 10 shots apart from each other.
For example, say you make the 50yd hit. You now have 9 shots left to hit it again, in order to get the 5-star rank.

With that said, I definitely recon an archer could hit a 1ft round target a 50yds, twice within 10 shots apart. 
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2021 at 5:35pm by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 1:49pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 11:12am:
a coin can hardly be seen at twenty meters.  at thirty meters they can no longer see a coin.  shoot them at Kubb.  Woods.  these games are standardized

How big was the coin you were using?
The background and how shiny the coin is important as well.
Today I found out that with a dark background, I can clearly see a 10p coin (under 1" diameter) at 125yds, so I could probably see it even further away.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:02pm

there are things i believe and there are things i don't believe  some I want to see before I believe it.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:03pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 3:55pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:02pm:
there are things i believe and there are things i don't believe  some I want to see before I believe it.

There are pictures in this thread:
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1636237960/15#23

If the camera sees it, then the eyes certainly can.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 5:41pm

Let's establish this first, with a poll.
Metric or Imperial?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:44pm

what a camera sees, they don't have to see for a long time.  in my hall I shoot at twenty meters.  they just barely recognize a rolling two euro coin.  at over 100 m you can no longer recognize them.  and certainly not shoot at it with a sling.  i shoot different weapons.  modern and archaic.  I like to invite you and you show me what you can do.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #25 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 11:49am

Archaic Arms wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 3:55pm:
Jaegoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:02pm:

There are pictures in this thread:
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1636237960/15#23

If the camera sees it, then the eyes certainly can.

If you have a shiny coin, the scattering of the light (diffuse reflectance, not specular reflectance) can make the coin "seen" at a distance much further than the eyes (or camera) can actually resolve the shape. Try the same thing with a dull coin, I think you'll find different results.

I like the 2 hits in 10 shots idea, but once you get out to the max distance, then how do you rank higher?

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #26 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 12:47pm

IronGoober wrote on Nov 12th, 2021 at 11:49am:
If you have a shiny coin, the scattering of the light (diffuse reflectance, not specular reflectance) can make the coin "seen" at a distance much further than the eyes (or camera) can actually resolve the shape. Try the same thing with a dull coin, I think you'll find different results.

I like the 2 hits in 10 shots idea, but once you get out to the max distance, then how do you rank higher?

Yes it is true, if the coin was tarnished and not shiny, the visible range would likely be a lot less. On the other side of the coin (pardon the pun), If the sky was clear and the sun was at my back, a shiny coin would be visible from a very long distance away.

Regarding the ranking system, I don't think a "max range"  may be necessary, and perhaps the system made difficult enough so anything over 50m (5 stars) is very rare.
That's why I've been thinking 3 hits in a dozen shots is probably better than 2 two hits in 10. Would be more interesting and exciting to watch, as well as make it suitably more challenging.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 1:54pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 11:12am:

This has been my experience as well although its been long enough since Ive made a long distance video that I forgot it in my earlier responses. One solution is to have a camera at the target end facing the slinger. This, of course, presents its own issues.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #28 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 4:14pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 9:44pm:
what a camera sees, they don't have to see for a long time.  in my hall I shoot at twenty meters.  they just barely recognize a rolling two euro coin.  at over 100 m you can no longer recognize them.  and certainly not shoot at it with a sling.  i shoot different weapons.  modern and archaic.  I like to invite you and you show me what you can do.

Thank you for the invitation Jaegoor, I would very much enjoy a visit once/if the world resolves itself.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #29 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 4:46pm

So the poll results are in and it's a very conclusive victory for the metric system!

So what do people think about a 30cm round target as the standard?
Simply put, I think it's a nice round number, and fits in standard backpack nicely. I also think it's a size that's better suited to the growing number of great slingers.

Also, what do people think about 3 hits in a dozen shots for each 10m increment?
For example, if I was going for a III-STAR rank, I would film myself slinging at the 30m target until I get a hit. Once I get one hit, I now have 11 shots left to get two more hits. (to qualify for the III-STAR rank)
I think it's challenging enough that I don't think we will ever see any VII-STAR slingers (maybe?), but easy enough that the majority of slingers should be able to get a rank.

Please tell me if I'm horribly mistaken or if what I'm suggesting belongs on a compost heap...

Also share your own ideas/suggestions if you have them.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini)