Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
New Ranking System (Read 10489 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: New Ranking System
Reply #105 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 4:41pm

Well… here’s 5 dianas at 13 m cherry picked from a 30-shot round. I guess that puts me at league I/5

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZQDHgOKMhJ/?utm_medium=copy_link

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #106 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 12:03am

Sweet!

But also frustrating.  It's not particularly steep, but I live on a hill that's been covered with snow for too long.  I've tried slinging a couple times but it's just not working.  I get that little slip under my feet that's not enough to make me fall, but becomes the only thing I'm thinking about.

NOOC, I might have to live vicariously through you (sling-wise) for the next month and a half or so.  I never expected to miss the mud from some of the wetter summer days.  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #107 - Jan 29th, 2022 at 12:26am

If it makes you feel any better, it’s supposed to drop into the low 30’s tonight before being back in the 60’s next week.  It was so cold today that I had to wear a sweater with my sandals 🥶

The folks over on Discord wanted to do a little slinging competition of their own, so we’ve been shooting 30-shot rounds.   I guess it’s not that surprising that the best scores so far are from South Texas, Australia (where it’s summer), and the central California coast.  Everyone else is too cold!

Well I don’t think it’ll tide you over for the next month and a half Joe, but here’s another ten minutes of slinging that’s turned into a fun little competition this week:

Me:
https://youtu.be/IVY1-U0bk90

And Mersa:
https://youtu.be/vQY3RdoF1Hk

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #108 - Jan 30th, 2022 at 11:58am

Both those videos were just fantastic to watch.  Amazing stuff guys!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #109 - May 23rd, 2022 at 1:28pm

Target: Diana (50cm round plate)
# of shots: 10
League #: Each numeral is an increment of 10m. e.g League I is 10m, League II is 20m, etc.
# of Stars (*): Represents each hit, up to 5 hits
# of Plusses (+): Represents any subsequent hits, beyond 5 hits

For example, 7/10 hits at 20m would be League II *****++ or Lg.II 5*2+ (for short)

Everyone starts at League I, and in order to progress to the next league, you must first get 5 stars (5 hits on the target) out of your 10 shots. This principle is the same for each league as you progress.
- Plusses (extra hits) are for bragging rights.
- The 10 shot sequence can be cherry picked.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #110 - May 23rd, 2022 at 9:51pm

I think it looks pretty good AA.  A question and a comment.

I assume a regular balearic target is fine to use, but obviously only diana hits are of any value.  Is that correct?

And I would just go with the short version of the ranking.  I think it looks better.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #111 - May 24th, 2022 at 3:36am

joe_meadmaker wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 9:51pm:
I think it looks pretty good AA.  A question and a comment.

I assume a regular balearic target is fine to use, but obviously only diana hits are of any value.  Is that correct?

And I would just go with the short version of the ranking.  I think it looks better.

Yes that's right, only the Diana hits count. Makes sense to me for three main reasons: It's a well established sling target, it's roughly torso sized (military history interest), and it's also a relatively portable target.
Yes and the shortened version of the rank is certainly quicker to read...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #112 - May 24th, 2022 at 8:12am

I think using the normal scoring system shows more of the round

League 1: 5*2+

Could be.
17+7
16+7
15+7
14+7

But I do like the Diana only thing for use in different areas.
A Diana is much more portable than a whole target.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #113 - May 24th, 2022 at 3:38pm

Mersa wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:12am:
I think using the normal scoring system shows more of the round

League 1: 5*2+

Could be.
17+7
16+7
15+7
14+7

But I do like the Diana only thing for use in different areas.
A Diana is much more portable than a whole target.

Well in this case, anything that is not a 'diana' is a miss.
Could have a system that ranks your best stats for the full Balearic target, but it's very restrictive. Anyone that wants to use stones would have real problems lugging around that giant, 1/1/4" thick plywood board. You'd have to have your own range.
But I think Diana on it's own is better for this, as hitting it is a precise and practical shot. You wouldn't get one point for a near miss at a charging hoplite, other than one spear point... Grin

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #114 - May 25th, 2022 at 5:32am

I think the Diana only is great for portable target .
And let’s be honest 7/10 Diana is legit no matter how you look at it

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #115 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 8:40am

Well I got 7/10 at 13m

https://youtu.be/F8eB4v4bSWc

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #116 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 8:01pm

Sorry man. 10m or 20m. Wink  Grin

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #117 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 4:20am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 8:01pm:
Sorry man. 10m or 20m. Wink  Grin

Well I did think that it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a rule that allows the skipping of leagues, as long as you get 5-stars in that chosen league. i.e you could skip leagues one and two, if you posted a league three 5-star. (allowing very skilled slingers to skip lower leagues)
Your scores for leagues one and two will remain blank though, unless you go back and do them.

Although realistically, very few people would be able to skip more than a single league, which makes it quite an unnecessary rule.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #118 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 9:37am

Actually on second thought, I think it would be reasonable that any score you get on a league, automatically gives you that score for the leagues below it.
For example, if you got League III 4* you automatically get 4 stars in all the other leagues below it (I and II).
This rule would only benefit those that skipped leagues, and skipping more than one league would not be a very easy thing to do, so...
A bit of a redundant rule for now.

Going to make a video on the ranking system, and try to get it in swing.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Finn Cohen
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #119 - Oct 31st, 2022 at 6:13am

I quite like AA idea's. As a separate issue I think there should probably be some sort of board that regulates rankings, official competitions. etc. I don't know if this already sort of exists or even if this forum is that board but if doesn't exist a great name would be International Board of Slinging Regulation or International Association of Regulatory Slingers
or International Regulatory Association of Slinging as a Sport (IRASS) This would probably be difficult to achieve without a more local group to start as a catalyst. Probably going to happen in the balearics.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)