Send Topic Print
Catal Hüyük "Slinger" (Read 1287 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Catal Hüyük "Slinger"
Nov 8th, 2021 at 5:53pm

This is a famous image amongst us slingers as potentially being the oldest depiction of a slinger; ~7000BC

Does anyone have a picture of this as a part of the greater mural?

I think it used to be on the website but it's no longer there.
As far as I remember, it was the only sling depicted amongst lots of bowmen (some who where holding their bows near the end), and has drawn skepticism as a result.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Catal Hüyük "Slinger"
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 6:24pm

Ask and ye shall receive. It can be seen in Mellaart 1967, Plate 46, Pg. 95. The book is called something like “Catal-huyuk: A Neolithic Town in Anatolia”

It can be found on an internet archive. It’s on Pg. 92 of the online book.

https://archive.org/details/Catal-huyuk.ANeolithicTownInAnatolia/page/n91/mode/1
up?view=theater

The other object the slinger is holding is suggested to be a club, though it’s impossible to tell.

It looks like it’s being used against birds, which would check out. There is what looks to be a mirror image. Perhaps showing the sling is spinning?
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2021 at 8:13pm by Hirtius »  

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 6:27pm

Ein tolles Bild. Ich liebe es

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 6:35pm

https://books.google.com/books?id=_lqHDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=catalhoyuk+sl
inger&source=bl&ots=Et9LpZDJzb&sig=ACfU3U0tX1agt8StXdR_U9ugCGvIXo6h6w&hl=en&sa=X
&ved=2ahUKEwj7voGn8on0AhVoDjQIHbetBMAQ6AF6BAgVEAI#v=onepage&q=catalhoyuk%20sling
er&f=true

I found the original source here, starting at pg. 82. There’s some interesting additional info about head injuries and clay balls in Catal huyuk.

Overall, I think the slinger interpretation is probably the best. It could be a bow held at the bottom with an arrow in the offhand, but it would also be quite strange.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 6:46pm

Es gibt einige Details, die perfekt für einen slinger sind. Die Haltung der der Arme. Die Stellung der Beine . Und der Haken Fuss vorn.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 2:29am

Considering the additional evidence of slinging in the area, I can't not see it as a slinger. Why would anyone draw an archer like that? It's not impossible, but it just seems very unlikely it's not a slinger. Even if it's not, it's a very strong image. It really leaves an impression.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 6:31am

Also going with "Slinger". Looks like hes hunting two birds.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2021 at 10:42am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 7:16am

Oh it's definitely a slinger.
Jorn, one of the German slingers, has a style that can be perfectly superimposed over the catalhyuk image.
It's uncanny.

Jaegoor's style is very similar, but jorns is identical

If you use an overhead helicopter style with the free arm pointing at the target and a side on stance.
That's catalhyuk

Unlike many of the Greek images of slingers, which would seem to be merely posed models, catal hyuk is most definitely taken from a real life slinger.

The fact that it depicts a slinger in mid-throw, indicates it was taken from life.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 8:13am

Thank you for the link!
I would go with slinger as well, typical slinger in motion stature.
If you download the book, there are several times slingers mentioned. Have not managed to find the according pictures though...

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 8:15am

Perhaps its an early depiction or a forerunner (like Utnapeschtim for Noah Story) of the hercules and the stymphalian birds topos? Tendentially Heracles is a very archaic figure of a quite neolithic kind, often depicted with a club or sling and an animal skin...

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2021 at 8:49am

there is a detail.  what distinguishes this style.  look at the front foot.  he looks unusual.  twisted.  it often happens that the hips are turned over in the shot.  Shots then go too far to the left.  If you turn the front foot inwards, your hips can no longer overwind.  it is stopped.  their hits get better.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 3:48am

funditor wrote on Nov 9th, 2021 at 8:15am:
Perhaps its an early depiction or a forerunner (like Utnapeschtim for Noah Story) of the hercules and the stymphalian birds topos? Tendentially Heracles is a very archaic figure of a quite neolithic kind, often depicted with a club or sling and an animal skin...

The birds are huge compared to the slinger.
It seems that the focus has been put on the feathers to draw the wings.
Funditor, I agree with you.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2021 at 2:13pm

Ok so...let me throw a curveball here. The largest known flying bird is Pelagornis sandersi. It was similar to an albatross but much bigger. It was believed to be a bird that flew over the ocean like an albatross. The skeleton we have dates from approx. 25 million years ago putting it just a tad before this mural was drawn.

But we dont really know for sure when they went extinct. What we "do" know is a similar sized bird called Argentavis Magnificnes was around to at least 10,000 years ago. So if one very large bird could survive it would seem at least possible that another species could as well.

See where im going here? Might this have been a large ocean going Pelagornis sandersi that flew of course like albatross have been known to do?

Most likely not, but I like considering the idea that he/she was actually slinging at a giant bird. Cheesy

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 10:55pm

Sounds like you want to mix together The Birds and Jurassic Park. Let’s do it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 11:06pm

Hirtius wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 10:55pm:
Sounds like you want to mix together The Birds and Jurassic Park. Let’s do it.

Yea lol. Mostly tongue in cheek but at east for one species the timelines add up. It actually might have happened at some point. For me thats amazing to think about.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick)