Send Topic Print
A new slinger (Read 416 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
A new slinger
Nov 6th, 2021 at 8:01pm

I know there have been appropriate topics to add this to, but I ran a couple searches and didn't find one.  So here's a new one.

This evening I saw my neighbor throwing a ball for his dog.  I told him he needed a sling, and gave him the paracord/leather-pouch sling I carry in my truck.  I didn't give him any instruction other that a quick empty sling tutorial of 'put these fingers in the loop (I use a large loop for the middle and ring finger) and let go of the knot when you want to release'.  I also had him start a rotor and then stop it without dropping the tennis ball, which he did on the first try.

He naturally did a pretty nice underhand throw.  He got every throw out in front of him.  The throws stayed very close to the ground and didn't go far.  But he didn't have any that went up in the air uncontrolled.  It was great to watch.

When he was done, he lifted the sling over his head and hung across the back of his neck.  I liked seeing that too.  Thought he looked like a natural.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2021 at 10:03pm by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: A new slinger
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 12:40pm

I've had similar experiences! I bet he's grateful that you made fetch easier for him  Smiley

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 1:01pm

That's so cool! I'm hoping to get some converts soon. I'm making good inroads to the historical reenactors in Helsinki so hopefully soon I'll get some slings in their hands.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 7:22pm

Occasionally Ive given slings to people and sometimes they will get back to me months or years later and tell me they are still doing it. Its such a good feeling. I gave one to my partner at work the other day and hes been using it as well.

I really think we need a religion here. Thats where the real devoted converts come from. I nominate Joe as the Pope of the Church of Slingtology.  Wink

Now whos going to be our devil character? Xenu? Satan? Karen?

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 9:31pm

I don't know but it's gotta be an archer or a slingshotter or something!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 10:11pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 7th, 2021 at 7:22pm:
I nominate Joe as the Pope of the Church of Slingtology.

I'm totally adding this to my resume.  Cheesy

Guy interviewing me: "So, what's this thing you're a Pope of?"
Me: "Please find us a tennis ball, and join me out in the parking lot."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 11:42am

I was called sling-yoda recently - maybe we could be The Jedi Of The Sling Smiley

But I'll go with the church of slingtology Smiley

Battlefield Earth is one of my all time favourite books, I actually own 2 copies (let's not even mention the film)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 1:02pm

I like that book a lot.

SPOILER ALERT:
The fact that he goes from a caveman to literally the ruler of the universe is pretty creative writing/storytelling. Very fun read indeed.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)