Send Topic Print
Less Rat Man (Read 806 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Less Rat Man
Nov 5th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Some of you who have been here a while might recall that the time before last I attempted to lose weight it was a smashing success.  In just eight months with diet alone I lost a hundred pounds.  You might also recall that the last time I tried to lose weight I did the exact same diet but even more religiously and threw in exercise and failed miserably.  Being older with a slower metabolism apparently makes it harder to burn calories.
    Last August 3rd was my 67th birthday.  I looked in the mirror and wanted to puke.  At 271 I had really let myself go.  Soooooo   I stopped eating all junk food and started dog walking twice instead of once a day again. Also I greatly increased the length of our walks.  I'm walking about five times farther per day than I was.
    I don't own a scale because they can do more harm than good.  People become fixated on them.  I had a doctor appointment the end of October so I waited until  then to see how I was doing.  I could see I lost some weight but I had no idea how much. 
     About a week short of three months into my current program I had lost twenty three pounds.  At 248 I'm still seeing a fat guy in my mirror but twenty three pounds in a little less than three months is very satisfactory progress as far as I'm concerned.  A little success like that encourages me to try even harder.  I have not touched any junk food at all in three months.  My next doctor appointment is six months from now so I'll check my weight again then. 
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2021 at 8:38am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Less Rat Man
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 8:42pm

Great job sir!  It's one of life's strange ironies.  Getting fat is easy and usually fun.  Getting fit tends to be a lot of work and dedication.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 6:00am

Nice one RM. Ive got a bit of extra Morphy I could do without. Youre a good example to all of us.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2021 at 8:43am

Thanks guys.  My downfall was the Dollar General that is right up the street from me.  Dollar General has really good ice cream and other junk food really cheap. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 5:59am

Great job man! My big problem is that I just don't like exercise. I ran a half marathon a few years back and I managed it but at no point was it fun or enjoyable. I didn't do all that much training because I actually don't like running at all. There are basically no team sports I care abut enough or am interested in so I've been a bit stuck on what I'm supposed to do to stop growing horizontally. BUT, recently, as part of my plan to get a Finnish slinging team together, I met up with some historical reenactors and went to a pole weapons training class and boy, that was a workout. We did a pretty intensive warm up, some drills and then some light sparring, finishing up with a game where you are armed with a glove and have to tap the other persons body without getting hit yourself. Your non-dominant arm is your "shield" that you can block the glove with but everywhere is is fair game. We did duels, teams and then a full battle, half the group versus the other half. It was so much fun and I was sweating buckets after. Tricking myself into doing exercise is the key!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 2:07pm

One of the things that can be discouraging is that many, possibly most men lose weight where they want to the least first and where they want to the most last.  My middle is what gets fat.  My butt, legs, whatever never get that bad but my gut gets huge.  When I start to lose it comes off of my shoulders, chest and legs first.  So after losing twenty five or thirty pounds I don't look significantly better.  In that this isn't the first time I've lost weight I know not to be concerned.  Eventually my middle will catch up and all will be fine.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 6:04am

Any exercise you enjoy is always going to be better than something you have to make yourself do.

23lbs is no mean feat.a stone and a half !

Keep at it Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 7:15am

Walking is my primary form of exercise these days. Lots of walking.  I'll add other things eventually.     Walking is a good exercise for old farts.  It's low impact and it boosts your heart rate but not to an extreme level.  The problem is that you have to walk a lot to make it effective.  For me being disabled, retired, or whatever you want to call it that's not a problem.  Most days I spend about four hours on the road.  Not everyone has that kind of time to devote to exercise.  But for me so far it's working.  And the dogs don't mind the extra miles. 
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2021 at 10:07am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)